Griffey, Jr. & steroids?

I respect OP's post. I think far too many people blindly think he wasn't when there was a good possibility he was.

Originally Posted by Bruce Waynee

I respect OP's post. I think far too many people blindly think he wasn't when there was a good possibility he was.
I think people blindly accuse every player now because what has been uncovered. I remember a time when you would need evidence to accuse someoneof something, those days are long gone. Everyone is guilty these days to the cynics.

Originally Posted by Ben Roethlisberger

Allergic to the gym?

2008974893.jpg

I dont think he juiced at all, I consider him the best player I've ever seen play the game, but was definitely ripped.

Photoshopped?

OP - Seriously? You're so hard to defend your POV yet you offer nothing to back it up. What was the point of this thread?

Originally Posted by StarburyPtGod

IF he were using, don't you think his career would have more closely followed that of Bonds, McGuire, Sosa, Clemens, etc. (i.e. getting better when you're not supposed to be getting better). Griffey's career path is pretty traditional. Plus, Griffey had more raw talent than any of those guys, so why wouldn't he have had the same MONSTER seasons (65+ homers)?
Yea Griffey had more talent , but he never ran the bases as well as he could.
Bonds was always a better hitter though
Bonds was better overall at the point for which he went to the dark side imo, Im mad at Bonds cause he could have done something cleanly that no player wouldever be able to do. 600hr's and 600Sb's

Your telling me he wouldn't have been in the Goat conversation if he did that?
I mean to me hes a HOF'er cause if you accept a book like Game of Shadows as fact, You know when he started. You know where he was as far as stats.

Same thing with Roger. You know where he was.

Sosa and Bonds not so much, cause them dudes were doing it Early in their careers.

Sportswriters that don't look at what has been published and disclosed are doing every fan of baseball a disservice. If you accept that even 30% of theguys were using then, you look at who was using and you look at what they did. I would rather see Bonds and Roger in the hall than Fred McGriff, or CurtSchilling ( if you think Schilling is really a fringe guy which I don't.)

I can tell you right now that Griffey never touched anything performance enhancing. A good friend of mine and co-worker worked for the Mariners all through the'90s (hell, Griffey's on his speed dial and they do events together), he was in the locker room every day for almost all of Griffey's Seattlecareer, he's also been in every clubhouse in the majors and he could give me names of ever significant player who was clean or juiced. It was prettyamazing to hear him talk about it.

Heresy! The kid was the truth... All god-given talent and if he would've been healthier there would be no doubts as to who the greatest baseball player ofall time would be

Originally Posted by FIRST B0RN

Originally Posted by Bruce Waynee

I think people blindly accuse every player now because what has been uncovered. I remember a time when you would need evidence to accuse someone of something, those days are long gone. Everyone is guilty these days to the cynics.

Yes, its really a shame nowadays that its "Guilty until proven innocent". Did Jr. ever use? I don't know (and I hope he never did) but giventhat his name's never been (to my knowledge anyway) included with the other bunch of PED users, shouldn't that say something? I think given thatwe're discovering more and more players who have used, I can understand how someone would want to question Jr., but at the same time please provide someevidence to support the claim.

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

I can tell you right now that Griffey never touched anything performance enhancing.

I don't think Griffey used PEDs to add strength to turn fly balls into home runs. However, it's very plausible that he used banned substances as ashortcut to stay on the field, similar to how Andy Pettitte and other pitchers have been caught using (re: easier to recover/rehab from injury).

Typically players who still contributing in their late 30s are in the best shape of their career, such as Steve Finley, Raul Ibanez, and Julio Franco. So itraises eyebrows to see Griffey looking out-of-shape yet able to put up 450 PAs in each past 5 seasons since turning 35.

2008974893.jpg
001252749.jpg

Never been one to say Kid SHOULD be accused but we can also face facts:

Played in steroid era? Check. On high list of HR hitters? Check. Injury prone plus fluctuating weight? Check. Able to take things even right now that wouldnever show up on a test? Check.

We don't need to be naive.

Let's also look at the total players who have entered the 500 HR club since 1999:

McGwire (1999)
Bonds (2001)
Sosa (2003)
Palmeiro (2003)
Griffey, Jr (2004)
Rodriguez (2007)
Thome (2007)
Thomas (2007)
Ramirez (2008)
Sheffield (2009)

Seven of those ten have already been flat out busted. Not good company there. In other words, there arereasons their names were able to get on the exclusive 500 HR list.

Does all that mean Jr was guilty? Of course not. But to say "no chance in hell" and even bringing up the question is wrong, you are living under arock.
Something else that was kind of a big deal to me (actually, it still is): Griffey's defense of Barroid Bonds back when Bonds was on the all-time HR chase. I had read in interviews and stuff where he was coming to bat for Bonds, and it just caused me to go 'Wait, what? Hmmmmm... why would he be defending Bonds like this? Could be just friendship, could be just sticking up for a fellow MLBer, but it could also be... ... ... nah, can't be that? Can it? Say it ain't so, Ken.'
Agreed. This entire group (cheaters plus non cheaters) can be grouped together in my opinion.....none of the "clean" players everstepped up to demand testing. No one took anyone to task. These are proud players who train their tails off and are the best in the world at what they do andget compensated based on their skills. Don't know about you all but if i was putting up numbers cleanly and I was a big name player I would be the first inline to say this is not right, they are stealing records and money from us. Give us testing. But no one did.

Back
Top Bottom