Houston Texans Pre-Season 2014 - NT Bowl 2.5...Battle For Roster Spots

Yep, it's the one at Reliant NRG Stadium. And that Rockets store isn't still there? I hadn't been there in years

Wait what...the name of the stadium changed? I drive by there every day and haven't even noticed...are they going to rename the site NRG Park >D

It's basically a foregone conclusion except actual letter/logo changing

Reliant Stadium may be getting a new name

http://www.chron.com/news/politics/houston/article/Reliant-Stadium-is-getting-a-new-name-5310078.php

"OH MY GAWD, CAN'T YOU FEEL THE NRG IN THIS STADIUM???" :rolleyes :rolleyes

From ESPN.com:

Texans roster: Where offense stands

Consider these progress reports more than anything else.

Earlier today we reviewed where the Texans' roster stood defensively. Now we'll move onto offense, again with the understanding that this isn't what the roster will look like six months from now. There will be draft picks, free agents of the rookie and veteran kind and shuffling based on those moves.

It's valuable to look at where things stand now as a means of imagining how far the roster has to go.

With that we continue.

Quarterback: For all the talk of upheaval at this position, the three on the roster right now are the same three who were there when the season ended. Matt Schaub, Case Keenum and T.J. Yates are all still Houston Texans. That is likely to change dramatically by the time the season starts, because even if the Texans don't draft a quarterback first overall, they'll take one at some point.

Foster
Running back: Arian Foster remains as the starter, which means the Texans are in pretty good shape here if he returns healthy from his back surgery. There was that Instagram video in which Foster did a back flip ... but no one was hitting him then. Dennis Johnson, Jonathan Grimes, Ray Graham, Toben Opurum and Chad Spann join him on the roster, giving the Texans a lot of options as they try to figure out who they'll keep as their backup, with Ben Tate gone, and who they'll keep as their third running back. Johnson showed promise last season. A draft pick could be part of the mix, too.

Receivers: Andre Johnson comes back for his 14th season after a frustrating 2013 campaign. DeAndre Hopkins and DeVier Posey will play important roles in the Texans' offense next season. As Posey worked to get fully healthy, many thought he should have seen the field more. Keshawn Martin is still on the roster in his third season. Young veteran Mike Thomas signed a futures contract the day after the Texans' season ended. He started his career in Jacksonville and caught that Hail Mary pass Glover Quin knocked down in 2010. Alan Bonner and Alec Lemon, both rookies who wound up on injured reserve last season, are also on the roster right now.

Graham
Tight end: Garrett Graham re-signed Thursday with a three-year deal worth $11.25 million and will be the Texans' starter. Houston signed Zach Potter in February and have Ryan Griffin and Phillip Supernaw in the mix. This group is a little bit raw, but solid.

Offensive line: You can rest easy about center, left tackle and right guard as Chris Myers, Duane Brown and Brandon Brooks return. Elsewhere, be fidgety. Right tackle and left guard are still concerns. Though last year's starting right tackle Derek Newton is back, this could be a position addressed in the draft, possibly even with the first overall pick. Left guard Wade Smith is a free agent, but there's a chance he could return to Houston. Without him, I could see Ben Jones starting there or a scenario where the promising sixth-round pick David Quessenberry moves from tackle to guard. Brennan Williams, Cody White and Alex Kupper also return. Williams had a significant knee injury that landed him on injured reserve last year.

:\ |I (except McCain)

He's ready...

Arian Foster: I'm medically cleared for Houston Texans

One year ago, Arian Foster shut down one of the most fascinating, contemplative Twitter accounts in the NFL.

The Houston Texans star returned to social media Saturday with the revelation that he's been medically cleared following November's season-ending back surgery.

What Foster left out is whether he's been cleared simply to resume running or if he's been given the green light to go full steam ahead with football activities, including physical contact.

General manager Rick Smith expressed confidence at last month's NFL Scouting Combine that Foster's troublesome back will be fine going forward.

Along with good old-fashioned bad luck and a franchise quarterback losing his fastball, Foster's absence is one of the big reasons the Texans couldn't pull out of their 2013 tailspin, losing the final 14 games of the season.

Now that former insurance policy Ben Tate is leading the Browns' backfield, it's more important than ever that Foster stays healthy -- and recovers his Pro Bowl form of 2010 to '12.

The reluctance to get a good DT is almost as bad as the franchise failing to address how bad the oline was for the first 5-6 years lol

The reluctance to get a good DT is almost as bad as the franchise failing to address how bad the oline was for the first 5-6 years lol

It really does remind me of that :lol:

Ryan Fitzpatrick and Texans Agree to 2-Year Contract:

Ryan Fitzpatrick, a journeyman quarterback who has spent his nine-year career with four different teams, has agreed to terms on a two-year contract with the Houston Texans.
Ed Werder of ESPN was first to report the deal between the two sides on Thursday:

Prior to Werder breaking the news, Ian Rapoport of NFL.com acknowledged that his sources told him Fitzpatrick would sign with the Texans:

The backup quarterback has been thrust into the spotlight as a starter multiple times throughout his career dating back to 2008 during his time with the Cincinnati Bengals. With 77 starts in place of the respective starting signal-caller, Fitzpatrick has been a great safety blanket during his tenure in the NFL and has established himself as one of the better No. 2 options around the league.

Last season with the Tennessee Titans, Fitzpatrick started in nine games, finishing with a completion percentage of 62 to go along with 2,454 passing yards, 14 touchdowns and 12 interceptions. The 31-year-old also compiled 225 rushing yards for three touchdowns.

As Werder mentioned in his previous tweet, the deal for the Texans could mean that former starting quarterback Matt Schaub is now expendable. Rapoport previously mentioned that the Texans are shopping the signal-caller:

Meanwhile, Garret Heinrich of CBS Houston is reporting that the Texans and Raiders are discussing a deal for Schaub:

The Houston Texans and Oakland Raiders have been in serious talks about a trade involving Matt Schaub heading to Oakland, a source has told SportsRadio 610.

SportsRadio 610 learned that the Texans are trying to make the deal and eventually want a quarterback that can step in an play right away in 2014, whether that is in the draft or in a trade.

With Fitzpatrick on the depth chart, the Texans now have a dependable quarterback who can get the job done if called upon. He’s not going to set the world on fire with his accuracy or skills in the pocket, but he might still have some of the “Fitz-magic” that he showed with the Buffalo Bills.

Houston holds the No. 1 overall pick in the 2014 NFL draft and could very well select a quarterback with that pick. Names like Johnny Manziel, Blake Bortles and Teddy Bridgewater top the class, and the Texans could look to make any of them their franchise quarterback.

However, the team now has options if it wants to start Fitzpatrick in 2014 and groom a young player behind him. This would allow Houston to target someone like Jadeveon Clowney if it chooses.

Thanks to the experience that Fitzpatrick brings, the Texans have options to work with during the 2014 season.

Wish I could find some of his stuff even through the 07-09 seasons but oh well. Can't front like Schaub didn't put up #'s here, just didn't have the defense to help out early on, then when we did have a defense, he got injured. Reminds me of the Chargers somewhat actually, missed opportunities + underachieving.

aj80_medium.gif

Andre-Johnson-Matt-Schaub.gif

ibj108nirFOQ8u.gif

owen_medium.gif

153117704.0_standard_709.0.jpg

sch111.gif

hopnow1.gif

tumblr_me3vn3VkSQ1ratp11o1_500.jpg

tumblr_me13k1WP7L1renuivo1_400.gif

tumblr_mj7tgwYZ3O1ra90n2o1_500.jpg

tumblr_mfo2zjs12Z1rwppydo1_400.jpg

tumblr_lxip2ruOTm1r9danko1_500.jpg

tumblr_mkdedrrTo31s8tnhfo1_500.png

tumblr_mhas5g9xdt1s0nfeqo1_500.jpg

tumblr_mc9ojmvPtp1rgdj4so8_250.jpg

tumblr_mmwyifNG9M1r83y3do1_500.jpg

tumblr_mg8a37hPo31r83y3do1_400.jpg

tumblr_mdrqumtY7J1rgdj4so4_500.jpg

tumblr_ltw4tnqj8t1qizhtco1_500.jpg

tumblr_m7s68e0dFx1ruiv0mo1_500.jpg

Our best team was when Schaub went down and Yates took over. Oh what could have been. That window shut really fast.

That window shut terribly fast. I remember when certain trades/cuts started happening after that, we thought they were "making shrewd but smart moves". Boy were we wrong, they were making dumbass moves. Demeco should've never been traded. Even though he was gradually on the field less, he should have still been a Texan going forward, benefiting both on the field and in the lockerroom. There were a handful of other guys who should still be here, while others should've been cut/released before they did since the 2010-2011 season (Jacoby, Walter, and I'm sure some DBs/LBs/DEs.

Maaaaannnnnnnn That year Haynesworth ****** Schaubs foot up 
mean.gif
mean.gif
mad.gif

That was OUR ******* year no doubt

Schaub was balling the first part of the season and our whole team was clicking and didnt really have a weakness except for maybe lack of WRs.

Our D was soo nasty 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

IIRC that was Wades 1st year then it kinda went downhill after that smh

If we have Schaub for that game against the Ravens we win 

Yates threw like 2 INTs and I wont ever forgot that fumble Jacoby had 
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
mad.gif
mean.gif

Our D was sumn serious that year and Arian Balled out that game too 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Just thinking about what coulda been has me like

Haynesworth...useless tub of goo. Yates just took way too many chances with the ball during that game, which is ironic cause we've always talked about Schaub as not taking enough chances.

Comp picks were released today.

We got an extra 4, 6, and 7 
pimp.gif

So it looks like we have 11 total picks this draft 

1-1 
2-1 
3-1 
4-1 
4-35 (Comp) 
5-1 
6-1 
6-5 (from Oak) 
6-35 (Comp) 
7-1 
7-41 (Mr Irrelevant) (Comp)

Looks pretty good hopefully we can actually get some good players with those later picks... Rick Smith 
mean.gif

Back
Top Bottom