How a single mother survives on $7.50/hr

My post pages back was 20/hr a week. What is she doing with all her time if her child is in daycare. She could be enrolled full time in a community college or doing something to help her advance from a low wage part time job at McDonald's.

I can understand the plight of people who work and have trouble making ends meet making minimum wage but there are ways to advance.

The 20 hr a week thing is what I dont understand. Why cant you work 40 hrs, 60 hrs, 80hrs a week? People do it their whole career, many of these people are not making minimum wage but they do it because they want to succeed/ advance their career/ make ends meet.

In 10 years max we won't even need to argue about what the minimum wage should be, it'll be $0, cause all of these jobs can be performed by a machine which is faster, makes less mistakes, doesn't get tired, and doesn't complain. 

Is it right or wrong? Who knows. Is it going to happen? Definitely

Nah man I'm dead serious, working 80hrs a week at $8 will surely get you out of poverty. Not like generational poverty or economic inequality are issues around the world :lol:

I mean is not gonna make you rich, but through the right process, sacrifice and hard work, combined with a good sense of how you spend your income, you can eventually climb that social ladder...I know of too many people who started working minimum wage, single parents, now with their kids in college and owning their own businesses....ya dudes need to cut out all this self-pitty.....go on and put your big boy pants on.

[quote name="ksteezy" url="/t/636272/how-a-single-mother-survives-on-7-50-hr/210#[S]post_24226208"]
That's life fam, my mother made it happen working in a penny saver packing factory, single while raising me, yup it was tough, yup i spent lots of late days in after school....yup we had some assistance, way less than what the government does for people nowadays, but at least we had medical insurance and food stamps....maybe people that come here from another land where there is 0 assistance from the government don't take these things for granted and actually grind their **** off...they don't waste time whining about the bad hand they were dealt....not many nations have the success rate the U.S. Does when it comes to climbing the social classes....the opportunities ARE there, if you can't find them, you are not trying hard enough, IDC what anyone says.

I remember 1 winter, we had like 17 inches of snow, everything was closed in the morning, I was even given the day off and I work in urgent care, I live right behind a McDonalds, we noticed it was opened, walked over and they had that thing running serving breakfast like it was nothing, all obvious immigrants, I asked one of the girls if she was nuts and she told me "there is money to be made, I have a family to feed"

Yeah we can criticize the corporation for their terrible practice, but at the end of the day, THEY DONT OWE ANYONE a job and by law they are paying the minimum wage, dictated by our government....and I'm sorry but majortity of Americans ain't about that grind life, even if this chick had the opportunity to work 2 jobs, SHE WONT, but Ya continue white knighting.[/quote]

Obviously corporations are paying the wage dictated by the government. That's why I support the government raising it.
How TF you know she wouldn't work 2 jobs if she had the opportunity to?[/S]

you're right

she should stop looking for a second job, its not going to help at all

You're missing the point. It's not about the job, it's about the wage. She can have 3 part time jobs.At $7.50 an hour, she'll still be poor and on government assistance.

they get the point, they just think they got the answers

"my mom came from overseas and worked 20 hour days to make it you should do the same you lazy Americans"

:lol:

NT figured out the solution to poverty.

Just work more. :lol:

dudes is way too dense in this thread :lol:

"you making $8 at one job? well work 40 hours there you still got 120 left in the week .. get a second job! you still got 80 hours left .. third job"

ding ding ding :lol:

they get the point, they just think they got the answers

"my mom came from overseas and worked 20 hour days to make it you should do the same you lazy Americans"

:lol:
dudes is way too dense in this thread :lol:

"you making $8 at one job? well work 40 hours there you still got 120 left in the week .. get a second job! you still got 80 hours left .. third job"

ding ding ding :lol:

Lmaooooo bro at least there are jobs to be had in this country...back in Colombia if your *** don't have a job/career by the time you are 32 and don't have relatives to help you out, you will be sleeping under a bridge.

The sense of entitlement I swear....bunch of keyboard activists...what exactly are you guys doing to bring forth this change you so much scream for?...

Obviously corporations are paying the wage dictated by the government. That's why I support the government raising it.
How TF you know she wouldn't work 2 jobs if she had the opportunity to?

You must have missed her tweets posted on the previous page....

:nerd:

Lmaooooo bro at least there are jobs to be had in this country...back in Colombia if your *** don't have a job/career by the time you are 32 and don't have relatives to help you out, you will be sleeping under a bridge.

The sense of entitlement I swear....bunch of keyboard activists...what exactly are you guys doing to bring forth this change you so much scream for?...

We're talking about America I honestly don't care about how people had to survive in another country. Stop acting like you never complained about something in life before seriously.

Just someone out there has it worst than me I can't point out the wrongdoings in the country I live in? That makes no sense

In 10 years max we won't even need to argue about what the minimum wage should be, it'll be $0, cause all of these jobs can be performed by a machine which is faster, makes less mistakes, doesn't get tired, and doesn't complain. 

Is it right or wrong? Who knows. Is it going to happen? Definitely

Stuff is gonna get real weird when this starts picking up steam.

Nah man I'm dead serious, working 80hrs a week at $8 will surely get you out of poverty. Not like generational poverty or economic inequality are issues around the world :lol:

I mean is not gonna make you rich, but through the right process, sacrifice and hard work, combined with a good sense of how you spend your income, you can eventually climb that social ladder...I know of too many people who started working minimum wage, single parents, now with their kids in college and owning their own businesses....ya dudes need to cut out all this self-pitty.....go on and put your big boy pants on.

Stop feeling bad for the poor people guys :lol: you know what generational poverty is right?

You can pick out cases where people made it all you want. There's still gonna be kids wondering if they're gonna eat tonight with parents who work these crazy *** hours for horrible pay. It's not as simple as its made out to be.

20% of US school kids are below poverty level. It'll get worse before it gets better and "tell your parents to work harder" is probably not the answer.

NT figured out the solution to poverty.

Just work more.
laugh.gif
Sitting around and not working as much as she could is definitely not the solution.  

Im sure there's something that can be done to change the "system", but she gotta worry about making it to the end of the week before worrying about something that may or may not come years down the line.

Worry about surviving first. Then worry about "Getting Ahead".

Last edited:
Yeah we can criticize the corporation for their terrible practice, but at the end of the day, THEY DONT OWE ANYONE a job and by law they are paying the minimum wage, dictated by our government....and I'm sorry but majortity of Americans ain't about that grind life, even if this chick had the opportunity to work 2 jobs, SHE WONT, but Ya continue white knighting.
Sure, corporations are abiding by the law when they pay paltry wages, but they also directly influence legislation in the U.S. The people earning low wages certainly wouldn't vote on keeping wages low.

We could actually work together to improve living conditions in the U.S. or we could keep acting like all everyone has to do is work harder. Education and living is becoming more expensive, wages are stagnant, and jobs are moving overseas. Not everyone can just "work harder" to get ahead. 

View media item 1727729
this is probably why she doesn't work 40 hours

Option A: make under $800, get food and rent assistance

Option B: only make $800 and be hungry and homeless

in before a immigrant would choose Option B because their country is so horrible, they aren't lazy, they want to work for their pennies, but by 50 they'll be set :smokin

The fact that poverty and the terms working poor and generational poverty even exist should tell you there's a problem :lol:

View media item 1727729

in before a immigrant would choose Option B because their country is so horrible, they aren't lazy, they want to work for their pennies, but by 50 they'll be set :smokin

:lol: if this ain't the dam truth. I got guys asking me to give them only 20 hours a week for a month to get their child support lowered

Stuff is gonna get real weird when this starts picking up steam.
Stop feeling bad for the poor people guys :lol: you know what generational poverty is right?

You can pick out cases where people made it all you want. There's still gonna be kids wondering if they're gonna eat tonight with parents who work these crazy *** hours for horrible pay. It's not as simple as its made out to be.

20% of US school kids are below poverty level. It'll get worse before it gets better and "tell your parents to work harder" is probably not the answer.

But complaint to McDonalds so that they pay even 15$ an hour as opposed to 8$ and that sure will change things...no matter what you say the answer is WORK HARD...that is the only option, even at 30$+ an hour I've found myself holding down 3 jobs and starting up my own business....i had a wedding to shoot at this establishment in Paterson, owned by one of the husbands from The Real Housewives of NewJersey....dude is paid and he's on the frontline running the joint, worked the whole time I was there serving tables, doing **** he really didn't have to be doing, I'm willing to bet dude came from very little and made something of himself....that work ethic don't change, is the same wether you making 7$ an hour or run the joint and that's what a lot of America doesn't have....a work ethic...but you fellas keep the blind folds on and blame McDonalds...lol

View media item 1727729

:lol: if this ain't the dam truth. I got guys asking me to give them only 20 hours a week for a month to get their child support lowered

word like what's the point of working harder if my check is getting 75% garnished

what's the point of working 40 hours minimum wage and still not pay rent when I can work less and get help

I know the point

to prove to the Colombians we aren't spoiled.

View media item 1727729

Son you still get help making 800$ :rofl: there is even such a thing as lottery apts in this country you complaint so much about, where they give luxury lifts in luxurious areas to people making under a certain amount for PENNIES.

Oh and you don't care about what goes on in other countries, spoken like a true American. :pimp:

TANF website says earn less than 795 to get benefits

Steezy says you still get benefits

:smokin

and I didn't complain about lottery apartments I complained about making them go through a side door next to where they throw garbage out so they don't mix and mingle with the 'rich'

you and your people cool with being a paid slave to survive, other people out here actually trying to live a life

Son you still get help making 800$ :rofl: there is even such a thing as lottery apts in this country you complaint so much about, where they give luxury lifts in luxurious areas to people making under a certain amount for PENNIES.

Oh and you don't care about what goes on in other countries, spoken like a true American. :pimp:

With 1 kid? She won't get that much help.

Back
Top Bottom