How do you become a fighter pilot?

kinda random but Ive been wondering about this for the longest. Is anyone on NT a fighter pilot? Whats the pay like? How does someone apply to be fighterpilot?

go to college. major in aerospace engineering. join the navy/air force and hope you get through flight school?

also i think you have to finish in the top of your class in flight school to be a "fighter pilot''

otherwise you'll be flying a cargo plane full of rubber dog $@!# out of hong kong. know what im sayin

I swear I was gonna be Maverick, jr until I got to my Junior year in HS
laugh.gif

You dont just become apply to be a fighter pilot... Pilots are smart as hell and there are TONS of variables and requirements to even touch your $%+ to theseat of a cockpit.

Thorough military (Navy/Air Force) training...

Their $$ is good, better believe that... My girls father makes close to 6 figures as a Nat'l Guard Navigator, hes a Lt. Colonel.

You need to be at least under 28.5 years of age before applying to training, and no older than 30 years old by the time training starts. If you don't evenhave good eyesight, you may want to get eye surgery or get contacts, as eyesight is the CORE part of being just a pilot. You need to be a commissioned officer,which means you will need to have gotten a commission from one of the following programs: Air Force Academy, Officer Training School, ROTC.
In Air Force Academy, you are ranked in your class of cadets by three things: -Academic Performance which is about 50%
-Military Performance which is about 35% and is based on leadership, efficiency in class, and excellency at overall duties.
-Fitness which is 15% and requires a 1.5 mile run, pushups, situps, and the size of the waist.

You then request during your senior year in AF Academy about which job you would want in the Air Force, and if your rank is high, your desired pick will mostlikely be given to you first.
ROTC is just like AF Academy, but there are more variables, including testing. In addition to fitness and academic performance, you need to take the PilotCommission Selection Method test, and are commended by your ROTC commander, which is a deciding factor.
In the middle of your ROTC career, you go through this intensive training at AF Bases in either Florida, Alabama, or South Dakota and are ranked based onperformance at these sessions. Then the PCSM you take is based off of two things, AFOQT and BAT, which would be helped by having private flying lessons.

If you take the Officer Training School route, it is a bit more simple at the beginning, but it is still complicated. If you want to become a fighter pilot,you file for acceptance, and if you are, then you are a pilot. After acceptance, you have to have interviews, fitness testing, AFOQT and BAT test scores, andcollege GPA. OTS is more selective than the above two; OTS produces less pilots than ROTC or AF Acad.

After being accepted by OTS, then you must complete 55 weeks of pilot training, and performance and preference will decide whether or not you will become afighter pilot.

CLIFFNOTES:
-It is long
-It is extremely long
-It is difficult
-You must really want it to do it.

It's extremely difficult to become a fighter pilot, but I know two people who fly F-16 Fighting Falcons.

Back
Top Bottom