How do you feel about people of other ethnicities cooking other cultures foods?

quik1987

Banned
And profiting from it more than people of their origin.

Example

P.F. Chang, Taco Bell etc.

If white people wanna drop the n-bomb to be cool I could careless who cooks my fried rice or tacos....

Initial thought = Probably won't be authentic.
Second thought = It isn't authentic.
Thoroughly = I don't mind.

They found a way to get it, so props to them. If I want something authentic I'll head elsewhere. If I want something good but not as authentic, maybe I'll go to one of said places. It's just food...

Depends, like if it is a PF Changs/Fats or Taco Bell, you know you aren't getting the real authentic stuff.

Heck 90% of the time when you want the real stuff you have people of that ethnicity cooking that food. You see that alot with asian, mexican, and middle east/Mediterranean food alot.

The one time this wasn't true was when I got pasty (cornish food) in Long Beach. Seemed legit as hell till I heard the ppl talking there speaking spanish
laugh.gif
food was off the chains nonetheless.

Originally Posted by TheDudeMT

Initial thought = Probably won't be authentic.
Second thought = It isn't authentic.
Thoroughly = I don't mind.

They found a way to get it, so props to them. If I want something authentic I'll head elsewhere. If I want something good but not as authentic, maybe I'll go to one of said places. It's just food...

Let them cook, b. 

This one dope taco spot I go to is owned by a asian dude. I ain emm mad tho, tacos are
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Oh YoU MaD

This one dope taco spot I go to is owned by a asian dude. I ain emm mad tho, tacos are
pimp.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
there is this chicken place owned by a couple from Pittsburgh who are both Korean
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
but I love that chicken
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by solarius49

Originally Posted by BadaBing

I have bigger fish to fry than to worry about this.
hold up B, you frying fish? what race are you?
Surprisingly most of the fish fry places I know of in Socal are also owned by Asians
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Got to give NT credit, can turn anything into racism. Some of you kids are going to have a really hard time living in the real world.

As Anthony Bourdain said it, the backbone of the majority of restaurants staff many chefs from South America. His homebase restaurant Les Halles, a French restaurant, is run by Head Chef Lugano and a chef squad compromised mostly of Latinos. He says that most of them are better than actual French chefs and I personally have no qualms if a someone is cooking a dish from another race. As long as it is good, I am happy.

Originally Posted by rck2sactown

Originally Posted by Oh YoU MaD

pimp.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
there is this chicken place owned by a couple from Pittsburgh who are both Korean
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
but I love that chicken
pimp.gif

Don't sleep, Korean's are serious about fried chicken.

Originally Posted by SounDWav3

As Anthony Bourdain said it, the backbone of the majority of restaurants staff many chefs from South America. His homebase restaurant Les Halles, a French restaurant, is run by Head Chef Lugano and a chef squad compromised mostly of Latinos. He says that most of them are better than actual French chefs and I personally have no qualms if a someone is cooking a dish from another race. As long as it is good, I am happy.
word, i cook creole/carribean/soulfood in a kitchen with mostly ecudorians and my chef is white. he's got a james beard award so he much be doing something right.  anyways it's stupid to worry about stuff like this, any ethnicity master any cuisine.  my ecudorian homie will smoke some pork shoulder better people who say they can bbq and i'd bet money on it.  as a cook it's about being able to learn.  not what country it came from.
laugh.gif
what kind of stupid thinking is that? get the best food, don't turn it down because it's not the cooks ethnic food.

laugh.gif
Honestly I don't give a damn.

I admit though... it was a little strange at first.

Originally Posted by MPLSdunk

Originally Posted by SounDWav3

word, i cook creole/carribean/soulfood in a kitchen with mostly ecudorians and my chef is white. he's got a james beard award so he much be doing something right.  anyways it's stupid to worry about stuff like this, any ethnicity master any cuisine.  my ecudorian homie will smoke some pork shoulder better people who say they can bbq and i'd bet money on it.  as a cook it's about being able to learn.  not what country it came from.
laugh.gif
what kind of stupid thinking is that? get the best food, don't turn it down because it's not the cooks ethnic food.

I have this theory.

So I learned in some cultures, once you pass a certain age, if you never hear certain sounds, you lose the ability to distinguish them from other sounds. For example Native Japanese speakers have a tough time distinguishing "R" and "L" because they are the same in their language.

So my theory is the same in food and tasting, if you're not familiar with certain taste and don't have a natural preference for these flavours, how can you distinguish them from others, and how can you master that cuisine.

it's possible, just as it's possible for japanese people to become good at english, but they will never speak english like an american, they will have an accent.

Just as if someone learns to cook food x, they will learn it pretty well, but they will have that accent.

Sorry for the longwinded explanation.

Back
Top Bottom