How do you feel about people of other ethnicities cooking other cultures foods?

Originally Posted by ItsGettinHot

Originally Posted by DanzInRealLife

Originally Posted by 8tothe24

Got to give NT credit, can turn anything into racism.
Basically. If you want "authentic" go to the country of its origin.

I wish places were more like New Zealand. Some countries seem so focused on racism, it's ridiculous. Like everything needs to be associated to race and then to an argument and god knows what else. I feel sorry for people of those countries.
Discussion of race is not the same as racism.
Like it or not, the most obviously differentiating traits of human beings tends to be race.  When I see a black person, the first thing I notice is that they're black.  Not because i'm racist, but because their skin color is on the other side of the color spectrum from mine.

Also, in America we label our different foods by their country of origin.  ie Chinese food, Japanese food, Mexican food, Jamaican food, etc etc.  We refer to the foods by race, why wouldn't we associate them with race?

There's nothing more awkward than taking things that are already associated with race and pretending that they're not.
Believe it or not, the rest of the world does that too
indifferent.gif

Your tangent wasn't what I meant. I'm referring to OP's original statement. Taking something like food and feeling ripped off or cheapened by the fact a certain country's food is made by someone not of that country. That's ridiculous. That's crossing the line.

I wish places were more like New Zealand. Some countries seem so focused on racism, it's ridiculous. Like everything needs to be associated to race and then to an argument and god knows what else. I feel sorry for people of those countries.
Like it or not, the most obviously differentiating traits of human beings tends to be race.  When I see a black person, the first thing I notice is that they're black.  Not because i'm racist, but because their skin color is on the other side of the color spectrum from mine.

Also, in America we label our different foods by their country of origin.  ie Chinese food, Japanese food, Mexican food, Jamaican food, etc etc.  We refer to the foods by race, why wouldn't we associate them with race?

There's nothing more awkward than taking things that are already associated with race and pretending that they're not.
indifferent.gif

Your tangent wasn't what I meant. I'm referring to OP's original statement. Taking something like food and feeling ripped off or cheapened by the fact a certain country's food is made by someone not of that country. That's ridiculous. That's crossing the line.
I'd like to retract my tangent

laugh.gif
no hard feelings sir.

NZ has a population of less than 4.5m so I'm not subjected to it like people in America (for example) are. It's just an outside observation.

How did Chinese people end up in Jamaica...serious question? Seems mad random from a geographical stand point

Originally Posted by Mr Marcus

How did Chinese people end up in Jamaica...serious question? Seems mad random from a geographical stand point

From a GEOGRAPHICAL stand point? Or from your logic?

indifferent.gif

I'd like to retract my tangent

It's not feeling cheapened and not getting my money's worth, it's that the culture of the foods origin is being exploited and misrepresented.

^^ I'm not referring to money either.

I understand it could be exploited by throwing silly !!** in there and veering away from the traditional recipes but I fail to see how whoever owns/cooks the food is exploiting or misrepresenting the foods origin.

I could be really bad at cooking traditional "white people" food but I could make a mean Mexican dish, right down to the last letter in the recipe. Does that misrepresent the foods origin? Or exploit it for that matter? I don't understand your logic if it does.

That's why I think it crosses lines; I might get a great amount of pleasure from cooking Mexican food but from what I think you're trying to say, my being white is exploiting/misrepresenting the food. And therefore I shouldn't cook it. Correct?

^^ I'm not referring to money either.

I understand it could be exploited by throwing silly !!** in there and veering away from the traditional recipes but I fail to see how whoever owns/cooks the food is exploiting or misrepresenting the foods origin.

I could be really bad at cooking traditional "white people" food but I could make a mean Mexican dish, right down to the last letter in the recipe. Does that misrepresent the foods origin? Or exploit it for that matter? I don't understand your logic if it does.

That's why I think it crosses lines; I might get a great amount of pleasure from cooking Mexican food but from what I think you're trying to say, my being white is exploiting/misrepresenting the food. And therefore I shouldn't cook it. Correct?

Just wondering, are you a restaurant owner? Do you profit from these mexican dishes you make?

lol , i remember this time some White Chick in my Cousin's school begged him to teach her how to cook soul food because she liked a Black dude .

Other than that let them cook , we all want something tasty right ?

Doesn't bug me at all unless they cook it everyday on some self hating type $%!* .

Back
Top Bottom