How good would Larry Bird be in today's game?

Agree. Plus trying to bridge generation gaps is way too hard. Compare players to what they played against, it's the only fair way

Ya'll act like Bird would be some scrub. First, you have to factor in Larry preparing in today's context (training, diet, film, etc.), some of you are forgetting that is the first most important part of this. Then factor in his skill set which is incredibly high. Then his IQ which is incredibly high. Once ya'll do that how hard is it to conceive he'd be a top 3 player. Ya'll sound ignorant.

I just want to know, who in this thread has watched Bird play live in his prime? I'm talking about the 80's??

I can bet everything I got 90% of you haven't.

Originally Posted by Animal Thug1539

I just want to know, who in this thread has watched Bird play live in his prime? I'm talking about the 80's??

why does it matter? i agree most haven't. but some basketball junkies like myself have watched whole games on nba tv, dvds, youtube, and other sources.  Thats more than alot of people who only seen the same 30 clips of a past player.

I watched Bird in the late 80's.

But you all watched a 40-year old Reggie Miller, in his final season, average 15 PPG on 44% shooting. Similar to Bird, Reggie found ways to get open and let his stroke do the rest. He also was not the best defender. He was worse than Bird actually. Bird made All-NBA Defensive Team three times in his career and is 28th all-time in steals.

Originally Posted by Moe Fab

Ya'll act like Bird would be some scrub. First, you have to factor in Larry preparing in today's context (training, diet, film, etc.), some of you are forgetting that is the first most important part of this. Then factor in his skill set which is incredibly high. Then his IQ which is incredibly high. Once ya'll do that how hard is it to conceive he'd be a top 3 player. Ya'll sound ignorant.

Not one soul here has said he would be a scrub.

Originally Posted by MonStar1

why does it matter? i agree most haven't. but some basketball junkies like myself have watched whole games on nba tv, dvds, youtube, and other sources.  Thats more than alot of people who only seen the same 30 clips of a past player.

So how you gonna attack me for making my comment based on my take on Bird, when you practically did the same thing?!!
roll.gif

I'm done with this thread. And I'm avoiding any sports thread with MonStar debating in it..

Originally Posted by MonStar1

So how you gonna attack me for making my comment based on my take on Bird, when you practically did the same thing?!!
roll.gif

I'm done with this thread. And I'm avoiding any sports thread with MonStar debating in it..

We must've got our wires crossed.  I thought you meant you only seen brief highlights and videos at first.  I didn't think you meant "i didn't see him live".  I wouldn't knock you for being born late. 

larry-bird-magic-johnson2.jpg

We cool  

I'll leave this here:

Bill Fairweather (an ESPN coordinating producer) remembers a great Mickey Mantle story — one of my favorite excerpts from the oral history of ESPN, Those Guys Have All the Fun.
When I was twenty-one years old and working at this local station in the sports department, Mickey Mantle came by as part of a promotional tour. He came into the sports office and wound up sitting there while the PR guy was doing some other stuff. So we’re in this room together, but I’m not going to bother him. He’s Mickey Mantle, right?

The office had TV screens with different feeds and games that were going on, but one of the screens had the live feed from Boston Garden. So now it’s like 4:30pm, and the lights are not even on at the Garden, but Larry Bird is out there shooting, as is his pregame ritual. He would always be out there hours before anyone else, shooting a half an hour or an hour by himself. Not even anyone retrieving the ball.

So Mantle sits back and starts watching Bird shoot, and two minutes go by, and I notice Bird hasn’t missed a shot. Two more minutes go by; Bird still hasn’t missed a shot. And I see Mantle start to sit up, to get on the edge of his chair and get more and more intently focused on watching this. No joke, Bird has probably taken a hundred shots in a row and not missed one. Mantle is just totally amazed by what he’s seeing, and I’m watching him watch Bird. I’m getting a real kick out of this because I’m seeing this guy, one of the greatest baseball players of all time, watching one of the greatest basketball players of all time, all the while knowing that there are only two people in the world who are aware of what’s going on now, and it’s me and Mickey Mantle.

I think Bird was shooting for close to ten minutes without missing a shot, and finally Mantle gets to the point where he has to say something. He’s just so amazed by what he’s been seeing that he looks at me and says, “This boy doesn’t miss.

LeBron would be the only SF better than him. Very versatile offensive game and he was a true PLAYMAKER. Durant is not that. Pierce is not that. I feel the second point often gets overlooked because of LeBron's greatness. SF is usually not a PLAYMAKER position. It's very rare. Look at the history of the league.

From the plethora of videos I've seen of Larry Bird, he was a better athlete than someone like Dirk, who I only bring up because he was mentioned.

I can't believe this argument is still going. Being the Geezer on this thread, I can tell you I've seen tons of games Bird played (live too) & I've hated him in everyone. The Celts always played the teams I was rootng for. He would kill in the NBA today.

Although the NBA doesn't allow true zone defenses, hybrids of zones are used by just about every team. A player like Bird would kill teams with his jumpers. Kill. The fact that zone like defenses are still being used tells me that players nowadays can't shoot jumpers with any type of consistency because if more players could shoot, you'd see the zone like Ds getting dropped like crazy.

Bird would be the best SF playing today hands down. He'd put these young bucks to shame & tell them he was doing it too. Folks this is someone that took players like Dr. J & James Worthy to school. He of course lost to them too...

I'd take Bird in his prime over any of the SFs in the game today. None of them hold a candle of Bird.

HankMoody wrote:
LeBron would be the only SF better than him. Very versatile offensive game and he was a true PLAYMAKER. Durant is not that. Pierce is not that. I feel the second point often gets overlooked because of LeBron's greatness. SF is usually not a PLAYMAKER position. It's very rare. Look at the history of the league.

From the plethora of videos I've seen of Larry Bird, he was a better athlete than someone like Dirk, who I only bring up because he was mentioned.
Bird thrived in the playoffs, Bron shrinks in pressure during the playoffs (so far). He was also every bit the playmaker Bron is & will be. He actually had a decent post game which Bron still doesn't. Bron can't even knock a mid range J with any consistency. He's had the same game since getting into. Did you read that Mickey Mantle story? I've seen Bron shoot pregame several times & I can tell you he misses about 50% of what he shoots...

I'd take LeBron over Bird, no question.
LeBron shrinks in the playoffs? Check his stats. One series (in which he still led his team in scoring) and everyone forgets. 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I love guys that bring up stats. Bron's disappearence cost the Heat the championship last year. Anyone that can't see that is, is...Well there's nothing I can do or explain for you to understand...He's a paper lion. I guess we'll just agree to disagree.

Umm what about the year before, his last with the Cavs? Homey was ghost too.

Edit: Here's a link to an AOL article about a game in that series. Sound eerily like last year. Two years in a row going into what's supposed to be the prime of your career is indeed a pattern my NT friend...

Lets stay on topic.  because when it comes to clutch performance Bird > LeBron and its not even close

Also was that the same year they had a blowout loss to the wizards? It was liek a 35-40 point loss....Didn't Caron Butler & Stevenson go ham on paper lion? No question he's "talented" but homey needs to worry less about where he's going to VIP after the game & work on his game. Like I said, homey doesn't have a consistent midrange J or post game. Less VIP, more work.

What? LeBron had a triple double in Game 6. He was the ONLY reason that series even went 6 games. Look up how the other CLE players played that series. Mo Williams went ghost just like 2009, another playoffs in which LeBron carried his team, averaging 35, 9 and 7.

He didn't play with 3 other HOFers, you know. He didn't have that luxury. I know someone that did. But I digress.Back to Bird, no question he would be an all-star.

Back
Top Bottom