How much did Kanye help adidas?

I feel a lot of it is a perfect storm scenario. Kanye brought a lot of people on in regard to the hype and limited releases as well as just being a spokesman for the brand. Also, you can't ignore the quality of the product. The ultra boost is the most comfortable shoe on the market and is consistently executing on demand and supply manipulation. One also can't ignore the macro trends in fashion overall. Branding is disappearing quickly, Adidas jumped on this and it has enabled them to cruise past nike recently. Adidas' two prime models- the NMD and the UB contain next to zero indication that it is an adidas shoe.

Last but not least, perspective is needed. Nike is leading the one game that matters- $$$. Nike was the #1 performing stock last year on the market, and continues to grow faster than any other sporting brand worldwide. The growth Adidas has experienced is primarily in the niche markets, and as far as market share comes behind UA, NKE, and skechers as far as footwear goes. 

Props to adidas for placing products that entice, designs that are original, and not laying down to NIKE.

Last edited:
Adidas will always be funny style to me because Primeknit and Boost tech have all been knockoffs of Flyknit and Lunar from Nike. Adidas has yet to really innovate on their own. Taking Kanye and behind closed doors Nike employees to re-innovate their brand.

People in here comparing Ultra Boosts and Jordan shoes saying Jordan and Nike going backwards :lol: If you want to make comparisons at least compare them to the Flyknit Lunar 3s, Lunar Epics, Air Max 2016s or Flyknit Air Max 2016s. Saying Nike aint making good shoes is easy if you compare Jordan Retros and Roshe's to Adidas' performance shoes.

Even though they are leading the wave they really arent when it comes down to actual numbers.
nike-adidas-brand-value.jpg

This was according to Forbes back in May 16.

Adidas is heading into the right direction but are nowhere close to hitting in Nike's ball park.

Last edited:
Adidas will always be funny style to me because Primeknit and Boost tech have all been knockoffs of Flyknit and Lunar from Nike.

even though this is false...why does this matter again?

especially when

primeknit > flyknit 

boost > lunar

and it's not even close. 

if nike put out a better product than the boost i would wear those...

but until then ima rock boost because Im on my damn feet all day so my feet deserve the best and brand loyalty is the dumbest thing ever

Last edited:
Primeknit and boost are not knockoffs. Primeknit and Flyknit released at the same time in 2012. Nike flexed their legal muscle to keep Primeknit out of the US market for a year, and the suit filed by Nike was thrown out of court.

Not only is boost not a knockoff of lunar, it performs better because unlike the latter, it doesn't lose its effectiveness over time. Boost and bounce have pretty much made lunar and air cushioning obsolete to me. I've been playing in Lillard 2 after playing in Jordan 2012 and hyperfuse (my knees and feet thank me for that every day).

The last thing is price. And when it comes to it, Nike is straight up bugging and they know it. Top of the line LeBron/KD/JB last season went for 200-250 when I can get full length boost + primeknit for $160. I'm good on Beaverton shenanigans.

So the knit technology was created at exactly the same time?

Boost and lunar are interchangeable for me depending on activity.

But in the grand scheme of things nike is definitely the innovator.

So the knit technology was created at exactly the same time?

Boost and lunar are interchangeable for me depending on activity.

But in the grand scheme of things nike is definitely the innovator.

They came out two weeks apart (nike hit the market first, which is why they were able to block adidas from entering the US market).

Adidas has had a few innovations on its own in every decade since the 80s (micropacer, EQT series, Climacool, adidas A1, FYW, Primeknit, Boost). It's just that they never really promoted their products like Nike does, their strongest areas (soccer, running) weren't that popular in the US until recently, and Michael Jordan wasn't with them.

And even though I agree that nike has made better looking shoes throughout the life of the company, they've been trash lately (retros or current products): air bags popping in the Jordan 29; basketball retros you can't play in (you CAN play in those adidas kobe retros though); those KD sock shoes or whatever they're supposed to be.

I was watching bloomberg tv and they had a story that they released yeezy baby / kids shoes for $150 and they sold out pretty fast.

Last edited:
Kanyes adidas stuff is interesting.
Its not really innovative and its not classic. As a lifelong fan of sneakers they just dont make me feel that fanboy type excitement or love. (Thats probably a horrible way to say that but idk how to)

Adidas was always dope imo

Money wise of course its a no brainer he helped adidas.

But adidas has always had their own lane before people hopped on the current wave.

Style wise....IMO.....i much prefer other styles than kanyes creations thus far for adidas.

Primeknit and boost are not knockoffs. Primeknit and Flyknit released at the same time in 2012. Nike flexed their legal muscle to keep Primeknit out of the US market for a year, and the suit filed by Nike was thrown out of court.

Not only is boost not a knockoff of lunar, it performs better because unlike the latter, it doesn't lose its effectiveness over time. Boost and bounce have pretty much made lunar and air cushioning obsolete to me. I've been playing in Lillard 2 after playing in Jordan 2012 and hyperfuse (my knees and feet thank me for that every day).

The last thing is price. And when it comes to it, Nike is straight up bugging and they know it. Top of the line LeBron/KD/JB last season went for 200-250 when I can get full length boost + primeknit for $160. I'm good on Beaverton shenanigans.
Nike came out with Flyknit first that was why Adidas had to cease production until they got the court order reversed later in the year in 2012. Nike filed or flexed as you might say because it was similar to flyknit and they had to protect their patented entity like any Brand would do if your competition was making something "similar"

Lunar came out around the same time in 2012 maybe before but Boost is similar to Lunar idk how you guys cant see the resemblance. Adidas Boost is superior to Nike's lunar but Lunar came first. If you made it first and your competition makes it 2nd thats a knock off.

You guys dont understand how much stuff gets leaked back and forth in Portland/Beaverton where both NA Headquarters are based. With UA adding their new HQ its gonna be on a new level.

And how you comparing a LeBron signature to Primeknit×Boost shoe? To show the different price point between a basketball shoe and running shoe? I agree its over priced, but Nike is dominating Basketball and the NBA. Kobe and KD's sig are also other options priced less. Both have Zoom and Visible Zoom Air which is a lower profile bag better for Basketball IMO and a lot better than bulky LeBrons.

Adidas have really offered nothing innovative yet. They have just improved on most of Nike's tech and weaknesses. How you gonna compete with Nike and rely on Kanye West as a frontrunner for your company?

Last edited:
These dudes are not getting anywhere near enough credit for a lot of what's happening.
Of course they arent getting enough credit. Theyre competing with the Eric Avars, Tinker Hatfields, Leo Changs of Nike and those who have come before them.

Some of the newer designers now never developed the intrigue and fascination for sneakers/athletics before college like our generation. They move to Portland/Beaverton after college just seeing $$$$$$ because the market for sportswear, athletics, marketing and etc are growing as fast as the major sports in the country are growing. Its like when the Tech industry was booming where major companies were losing talent back in forth among each other. These new dudes dont have that loyalty or passion and will just jump ship because they never had that passion to begin with. Its where the $$$ is at to them.

Last edited:
The releases of the flyknit and the adizero primeknit were literally weeks apart. Those adidas were available in Europe but not in the US. The reason the lawsuit was ultimately thrown out was because you cannot patent knitting, which is what both companies do: stick a knitted upper on a midsole.

When it comes to basketball shoes, the comparison was to highlight that adidas offers a better product (full-length cushioning + ventilation + traction + support + durability) for less. That's important for a large number of consumers.

As far as adidas never being innovative? They put electronics in shoes in 1985 (micropacer) and in the early 2000 (the customizable cushioning in the A1); nike dropped nike+ in the moire in 2005(06). You see the NMD? It's based on the Rising Star, a shoe that dropped in the 80s too abd had removable tabs to change the level of cushion (the lego blocks in the NMD).

I agree Adidas does better for consumers with their price point and Nike has only now figured out they are charging waaaaay too much. They are reducing a lot of their sigs next year but better product? I guess thats a toss up for us consumers to debate about because its all about preferences and affordability.

I didnt say never innovative but they are hanging on instead of pushing ahead. Its not a coincidence that these techs are so similar. I'll give them more credit when they can breakaway and have Nike follow. Right now I think things blown out of proportion
There is a Kanye effect because people are buying more Adidas and paying more attention but the numbers dont lie as of right now.

Last edited:
I find it hard to believe that the knit tech coming out at the same time was a coincidence.
What adidas says about that is exactly what i would say if i were them lol.

Air max....zoom....foamposite....those came a looooong time ago and are still used.

Theres a reason for that.

Alot of adidas "innovations" were scrapped....micropacer....feet u wear....is springblade still a thing?......etc.

If nikes power lace takes off u can bet adidas will have something similar.

Btw im not "loyal" to any brand.

I like em all.

These dudes are not getting anywhere near enough credit for a lot of what's happening.
Of course they arent getting enough credit. Theyre competing with the Eric Avars, Tinker Hatfields, Leo Changs of Nike and those who have come before them.

I meant moreso that the easy thing for people to do is say "because Kanye". When it's rarely that simple.

But I do agree with what you were saying as well.

Last edited:
Props to adidas for stepping up but They are essentially turning into y-3 lite and every new sneaker is just a different version of another already existing shoe. I feel like once you own 4 different models you own them all.

As for comfort, I feel like boost tech and ultra boosts in general areabsolutely overrated when compared to other shoes. And let me clarify, I'm not saying ultra boosts arent comfortable but what I am saying if they are a 10/10 there are def a lot of 9.5/10s out there that are completely acceptable alternatives for comfort both from Nike and adidas. One thing I will say is that boost does lose comfort over time, ultra boost included. I've been wearing to different pairs of ultra boosts for about a year now and they're on about the same level as my huaraches and rocket boosts now.

poaching nike talent = adidas innovation.

laugh.gif
sad right?
but now it's adidas talent = adidas innovation 
laugh.gif

because that's why they left.  nike wasn't allowing them to fully create and curate their ideas.  

adidas is so much better at letting artists create...

pharell, kanye, raf simmons, rick owens, yohji...all have very avant garde designs.  it's a great thing to witness...

meanwhile the only people i know who still rock jordans are hood dudes and weed dealers 
roll.gif

J's been sitting on shelves forever now
laugh.gif
  it's sad to see

J's aren't sitting on shelves because they aren't popular. Nike upped production by a significant amount to hit some billion dollar sales figure goal for Jordan Brand in 2020. The illusion of shoes sitting is actually supply meeting demand.

That being said I'm more for comfort than anything so I haven't bought a pair of Jordan's since the Bordeaux 7s that I returned. I'm all in for the 1s tomorrow though even if they don't meet my comfort standard

Jordans only sitting cuz they maxed products & boosted prices... essentially crushing da reseller.

i love walking into stores late AF & coppin w/e i like retail. :pimp:

I find it hard to believe that the knit tech coming out at the same time was a coincidence.
What adidas says about that is exactly what i would say if i were them lol.

Air max....zoom....foamposite....those came a looooong time ago and are still used.

Theres a reason for that.

Alot of adidas "innovations" were scrapped....micropacer....feet u wear....is springblade still a thing?......etc.

If nikes power lace takes off u can bet adidas will have something similar.

Btw im not "loyal" to any brand.

I like em all.

I partially disagree with that if you're inferring that they were inferior concepts. It isn't that the ideas were bad. Electronic measurement of performance was revisited with nike+; customizable cushioning was done in the Jordan 2012; feet you wear was successful, considering that it was the main tech used in the early kobes, the antoine walker, etc... and many adidas players in the league were playing in the crazy 8.

Also, if adidas wanted power laces, they would spy on puma instead because they've already implemented a version of it that they paired with their disc system.

http://www.highsnobiety.com/2015/11/10/puma-autodisc-auto-lacing-system/

All I'm trying to say is the idea that Nike is leading the pack in terms of innovation is disputable considering some of the products other brands have put out there. They too revisit ideas from competitors as much as they create their own.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom