HUARACHE LE RETRO 30th anniversary release this year???

These

1993%20Air-Trainer-Accel-Mid-clear-Jade-173023-110-1large.jpg

Specifically want mowabbs for hiking purposes. They’re like the hiking huarache
Don’t think I wanna do that especially w/ that collar which is stupidly loose. And even tho I understand they are similar design wise, I’m hesitant to say “they are the hiking huarache” coz those Retroed Mowabbs aren’t that comfy comparing to regular Huarache tho. I’d recommend copping more modern ACGs like Mountain Flys for hiking.

Just realized these are the Flight huarache but with an added Swoosh and a Flight logo on the tongue.

😂 Nike was really business savvy.

Screenshot_20210830-113132_Gallery.jpg
That was the takedown model. Virtually every top Nike bball shoe back then came in lesser versions. Look at the different heel design on those, for instance. Not the exact same shoe.

These are the Nike Air Direct Flight! Ask me how I know, lol ☺️. Had a pair of the black ones shown above when they released in the spring of 1992 (yeah, I'm an old head, at 45 tomorrow, 🎂). They were a bit less money than the Huarache Flight. I loved my pair. Such an awesome shoe. Like 90% of the Flight Huarache without the side straps & heel strap but full Huarache bootie. Awesome awesome shoes.

I think these could qualify as trainer takedown. The air accel. I had these back in the day (different color tho)
F619840B-C848-4FAE-99CE-6DCB21EDC5D4.jpeg

Nike Air Xccell Trainer. They used the X from the tongue logo as part of the name. 👍 Let me see if I can dig up my old Nike 1992 calatog with Bo wearing the black/grey Trainer Huarache. They have the takedown model in the catalog.

Last edited:
Don’t think I wanna do that especially w/ that collar which is stupidly loose. And even tho I understand they are similar design wise, I’m hesitant to say “they are the hiking huarache” coz those Retroed Mowabbs aren’t that comfy comparing to regular Huarache tho. I’d recommend copping more modern ACGs like Mountain Flys for hiking.
I 100% agree. The Retro Mowabb is pretty stiff compared the the Mountain Fly which is super cushiony.

As I promised, here are the pics from the fall 1992 Catalog that they used to mail out. This is one of my favorites I ever got. Some SERIOUS gems in here. Lots of Huarache tech in several shoes! Enjoy the pics.
PXL_20210901_210851661.jpg
PXL_20210901_210911266.MP.jpg
PXL_20210901_210609502.jpg
PXL_20210901_210612787.jpg
PXL_20210901_210716451.jpg
PXL_20210901_210709177.jpg
PXL_20210901_211318995.jpg
PXL_20210901_210942712.jpg
PXL_20210901_210944997.jpg
PXL_20210901_210950748.jpg

I'm lucky to still have those Challenge Huaraches in my collection. Flat as heck, with no air but still wearable surprisingly. What I REALLY want is that Challenge Court warmup jacket!

As I promised, here are the pics from the fall 1992 Catalog that they used to mail out. This is one of my favorites I ever got. Some SERIOUS gems in here. Lots of Huarache tech in several shoes! Enjoy the pics.
PXL_20210901_210851661.jpg
PXL_20210901_210911266.MP.jpg
PXL_20210901_210609502.jpg
PXL_20210901_210612787.jpg
PXL_20210901_210716451.jpg
PXL_20210901_210709177.jpg
PXL_20210901_211318995.jpg
PXL_20210901_210942712.jpg
PXL_20210901_210944997.jpg
PXL_20210901_210950748.jpg

I'm lucky to still have those Challenge Huaraches in my collection. Flat as heck, with no air but still wearable surprisingly. What I REALLY want is that Challenge Court warmup jacket!
Funny enough that Pip is wearing the Direct Flight takedown model that started this bit of convo the other day LOL

I've said before: The Huarache line is arguably the most influential and long-lasting within Nike product. For some reason along the way, Nike stopped using the name much, but the concept never disappeared and is prominent in countless shoes today. The modern bball sigs and plenty of other shoes and their sock-like uppers are nothing but the original idea evolved. They use knit materials rather than neoprene, but it's obvious where it all started. The Huarache concept is now more of a standard design characteristic rather than a specific line within Nike's range. It's literally just the way Nike designs/engineers shoes anymore.

Last edited:
Funny enough that Pip is wearing the Direct Flight takedown model that started this bit of convo the other day LOL

I've said before: The Huarache line is arguably the most influential and long-lasting within Nike product. For some reason along the way, Nike stopped using the name much, but the concept never disappeared and is prominent in countless shoes today. The modern bball sigs and plenty of other shoes and their sock-like uppers are nothing but the original idea evolved. They use knit materials rather than neoprene, but it's obvious where it all started. The Huarache concept is now more of a standard design characteristic rather than a specific line within Nike's range. It's literally just the way Nike designs/engineers shoes anymore.

That's exactly why I wanted to post the pic of Pip. I always remembered he wore the Direct Flights in the catalog pic as I had the black pair back in 1992.

Actually the original Huaraches were out first. And if I recall Tinker started working on the Huaraches like 2 years prior.
Don’t think so dude. VI was out early ‘91 before anyone had seen Huaraches. Tinker might’ve begun work on them first but they didn’t hit retail till later.

Wait, Mowabb huaraches are dropping again?? Gimme all 3 and I’m set. All of those eluded me back in the day b/c that 11.5 was damn near impossible to find. Great news if they’re really releasing!

Don’t think so dude. VI was out early ‘91 before anyone had seen Huaraches. Tinker might’ve begun work on them first but they didn’t hit retail till later.
From what I remember too, Tinker would sketch the new Air Jordan about 2 years before they release.

I'm sure we can find design sketches for the VI with the date on them.

I'm trying to think when my classmate had his pair of his Scream Green Huaraches back in 8th grade (1991). His dad got them at a race as a prize for his placement in the field. I want to say it was darn close to early 1991 as I didn't have my black infrared VIs yet.

We know the Scream Green retail pair was 1991, but the story below as told by Tinker many times about how the original take from the retailers for the next season was very low, almost to the point of the shoe not even being made. The NYC Marathon story was where the shoe was first shown (and technically offered for sale) as they sold 5000 pairs of samples to people during the marathon weekend in 48 hours and that got the higher ups to agree to making a full run for retail sales.

The NYC Marathon is always the first weekend in November. So deduction would lead me to believe that the samples were released during the 1990 race and the retail pairs became available sometime in 1991 (as that gives them plenty of time to get the retail production for the stores later in 1991).

It was in 1991 that my classmate had them as he told me on the bus into school (Jr high), that morning he, nonchalantly, said I got the Huaraches on. I'm like, what?!! He had shown me the shoes a few months prior in a running magazine that showed them from the NYC Marathon. I remember vividly seeing them for the first time and the design was so far and away different than ANYTHING I'd ever had seen before, that I wanted a pair (which I got the white/gold/green 1992 pair for 9th grade track. So I think they did come out as samples to the public late 1990 but full retail in 1991. 👍 But I could be wrong, .🤪 All I do know is I'm thankful we got then again!

The VIs were February 1991, right?

Yeah, I believe they came out like a few days before the All Star game in Charlotte that year.

Not disputing that. I know the Scream Greens came out in 1991, but I believe the sample sale at the marathon was that prior November in 1990. Once they sold them all, then they put in the huge order to the factories to make. And then they would have came out maybe Spring 1991, because they were in stores by then. 👍

Because it couldn't have been at the 91 Marathon as then the retail pairs couldn't have came out till 1992.

Back
Top Bottom