I never knew that......

View media item 1777337

Adjective Order

. Look at these two squares. If you were to describe the one on the left, how would you do it? There should be two words that come to mind when looking at them. What describes the left square in comparison to the right one?

Now that I've stalled enough to give you time to think about it, the left square is red, and it's bigger. So now if you were to point it out to someone, what would you call it?

Well, you'd call it a big, red square obviously. What else is there to call it? Well, I suppose you could call it a red, big square. That doesn't quite sound right though, does it? For whatever reason, we've all agreed on a specific order of describing everything, and yet nobody ever needs to teach it to you. In fact, there is actually eight levels of order.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adjective#Adjective_order

when jrr tolkien was a child, he wrote a story about a "green great dragon", and his mother told him it had to be a "great green dragon", instead. He said he never understood why that was, and that it kept him from writing stories for a few years, but made him start thinking a lot about language.

there used to be an extra letter in the English alphabet called the thorn, which was used to represent the "th" sound. However, when the printing press was brought over to England from France there didn't exist a typeset with the thorn in it (since the French don't use it). Rather than create one, English printers just used the letter "y" instead, which somewhat resembled the thorn and eventually the thorn stopped being used entirely. And so when you see a shop sign with something like "Ye Olde Cell Phone Carrier" on it you're supposed to pronounce it "the old" not "yee old."

I wonder what nutrients are left in cremated ashes. I can understand there being chemical elements left over but I want to know the specific nutrients.
you in the wrong place if you wanna know specifics

if youre in college i suggest hittin up the bio dept's office hours

Adjective Order

. Look at these two squares. If you were to describe the one on the left, how would you do it? There should be two words that come to mind when looking at them. What describes the left square in comparison to the right one?

Now that I've stalled enough to give you time to think about it, the left square is red, and it's bigger. So now if you were to point it out to someone, what would you call it?

Well, you'd call it a big, red square obviously. What else is there to call it? Well, I suppose you could call it a red, big square. That doesn't quite sound right though, does it? For whatever reason, we've all agreed on a specific order of describing everything, and yet nobody ever needs to teach it to you. In fact, there is actually eight levels of order.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adjective#Adjective_order
when jrr tolkien was a child, he wrote a story about a "green great dragon", and his mother told him it had to be a "great green dragon", instead. He said he never understood why that was, and that it kept him from writing stories for a few years, but made him start thinking a lot about language.
there used to be an extra letter in the English alphabet called the thorn, which was used to represent the "th" sound. However, when the printing press was brought over to England from France there didn't exist a typeset with the thorn in it (since the French don't use it). Rather than create one, English printers just used the letter "y" instead, which somewhat resembled the thorn and eventually the thorn stopped being used entirely. And so when you see a shop sign with something like "Ye Olde Cell Phone Carrier" on it you're supposed to pronounce it "the old" not "yee old."
cool post but that first one sorta collapsed on itself, how you gone say we describe stuff a certain way without being taught and then proceed to tell us about a kid BEING TAUGHT how to describe a "green great dragon" as a "great green dragon" by his mom.............

The kid stay droppin gems on me.

cool post but that first one sorta collapsed on itself, how you gone say we describe stuff a certain way without being taught and then proceed to tell us about a kid BEING TAUGHT how to describe a "green great dragon" as a "great green dragon" by his mom.............

It was just an example of the Adjective order i thought was cool.

Green great dragon
Great green dragon

I picture those two different

Another example with all 8 levels
The real large five-year-old silver American wooden rocking chair...

just sounds the best in that order to me

not sure what exactly you're sayin but John didn't come from English originally
You just gone not tell us where it comes from then huh?
indifferent.gif

John means Yahweh is gracious. I only brought up those names because they are familiar to us in America.

I can also mention:
Juan
Ivan
Johan(Hans)
Yahya= Arabic

Y'all gonna have to stop with this useless banter.

To be frank, I never knew that John, Sean, Ian and Evan were actually the same name but in different languages. All from the UK and Ireland

I thought it was interesting.

The end.

John means Yahweh is gracious. I only brought up those names because they are familiar to us in America.

I can also mention:
Juan
Ivan
Johan(Hans)
Yahya= Arabic
also means light of god

not sure what exactly you're sayin but John didn't come from English originally

You just gone not tell us where it comes from then huh?

:stoneface:
I actually thought it came from the Vikings or Norse from germaic region but it goes further than that

"The name is derived from the Latin Ioannes and Iohannes, which are forms of the Greek name Iōannēs (Ἰωάννης), originally borne by Hellenized Jews transliterating the Hebrew name Yohanan (יוֹחָנָן), "Graced by Yah", or Yehohanan (יְהוֹחָנָן), "Yahweh is Gracious". There are numerous forms of the name in different languages; these were formerly often simply translated as "John" in English"

Maybe you figured this out long ago as well - but if not - you can see a locked account's tweets without following them by making a list (and setting it to private) and adding them to the list.

I have to write about CFB off and on and have a private Twitter list of the entire roster even though some of the accounts are locked and what not, but if they suddenly go off on their athletic department, coach, etc. I want to be one of the first and only ones to see it to report on it. Comes in handy for **** like that, and I'm sure other things y'all will think of so just a heads up if you didn't know already.

What ipecac is used for until a vid in the fools thread( used to induce vomit in kids who swallow poison . And was used in some cough syrups )

Back
Top Bottom