I Regret Going to College

120 credits to graduate. 92/120 achieved. Took a year and half break from college, just started back this fall semester. The only reason I went back is because everybody's telling me to get the degree since I'm so close. This damn accounting 300 level course is making me hate life. Like this **** is so damn tedious and stupid. I'm a business management major, and I'm here debating if spending another year trying to get a Bachelors is actually worth it. Working in an office wearing suit and tie is not something I want to do. If I were a fresh out of high school graduate again, I would've invested my time in finding something I want to do instead of wasting all these years and money in courses that have neither interested nor helped me in any aspect of life. I guess I'm just a bit lost on what I want to do with my life in terms of finding the right career.

Last edited:
Coillege? I regret attempting to go when I knew I wouldn't finish. Cuz now I gotta pay some gs back for wasted time.

Lol was typing fast haha. Nah business is pretty easy. It's just this damn accounting class that's annoying af

yeah man, I feel you...most people go to college because it's just "what you do", like it's just 13th grade.

if you think about it, it's kinda crazy that we send kids away to figure out their entire lives in a 4 year period.

anyway, if you know for a fact you don't want to do what your degree qualifies you for, get out now...no sense throwing good money/time after bad.

Last edited:
Accounting classes in 4 year universities are much harder than they need to be because professors make simple concepts too complicated. I honestly learned more from CC online courses I took after graduating, and I'm a full time accountant now despite struggling with it in college.

130855450_shia.gif

But most importantly OP....have you been doing internships/looking for some ? that's something I regret not doing before graduating college.

I am 35 years old. My advise though even if this isn't the right major for you is to still get a degree in something. Competition is crazy out there and not having a BA just makes your chances in getting an interview that much harder than it should. And this isn't accounting for just the relationship aspects of things because I do believe it is who you know at times when it comes to getting a job. But imagine if someone knew of you and thought you were the right candidate and then come to find out, he/she can't recommend you cause you don't have a degree. That would suck.......so my advise as an older dude on here, get your degree even if it takes longer than it should. The real world is odd cause at times you find out it is sort of easy than it was in school but when it comes to progressing and getting more money, you do need the knowledge and skill to take you there.

So what do you REALLY want to do op ?

I don't even know man. And I think that's a big problem. Looking on fb and **** seeing people my age and year working for deloitte, ey, kpmg. Here i am still in school, living off shoe collection money, doing uber when i need money. Sure i'm living a decent life...nice house (parents' of course), eat good, own car, loving gf, go out every weekend, etc. Yet I don't know what the hell I wanna do with my future.

But most importantly OP....have you been doing internships/looking for some ? that's something I regret not doing before graduating college.

I was an intern at Finish Line (the shoe company) lol. But my grades are so horrible I probably won't get accepted for any decent internships.

Your degree will open more doors for you.
If you've come this far just go ahead and finish it off. Your more out then in. Truth be told, I hated accounting classes too ( I was an economics major).
Trust me, many of us have gone through the same struggle.

I was an accounting major. Hated it with a passion towards the end. Got the degree and pivoted to something else. Don't regret it for a second.

Finish it out bro. You've gone too far.

Last edited:
You've already invested so much time and effort. Would be a shame if you didn't finish IMO. Do it man!

Get the degree. Just having one is valuable, whether you want to go into business management or not. You're practically done anyway. It would be stupid not to finish, especially when you have literally no other plans.

Finish up and while you're finishing up, figure out what you want to do. Write down all the possibilities and talk them out with people. Talking it out with people helped me out a lot. Don't blame college for you not finding out your ambitions. Blame your mindset. You gotta take initiative, and you can do that whether you're in college or not. I didn't find out what I wanted to do until I started actively seeking it out and discussed the ideas with ppl close to me.

Last edited:
As much as you feel its a waste of time imagine if you didnt even get the degree. Not to mention the money you've probably spent/owe. You're all in now, it would be foolish to let all that time/money go to waste at this point.

College is great. The social aspect of it is why i advise people to go to College. I enjoyed my experience at a university.

I know those feels. Especially taking a class you just don't ******* like and/or is a monumental waste of time.

I'll tell you this much a degree you don't plan on using with your career is worthless. Even if what you pursue doesn't pan out years down the line.

Back
Top Bottom