If Ben Roethlisberger wins his 3rd SB, where's his place amongst the all-time greats?

Stats are great...guys like Marino, Manning, and Farve have racked up the yardage, TDs, etc....

However, IMO the W/L record in the post-season trumps almost everything.  He's on the verge of accomplishing something amazing, all before he turns 30 years old. 

We've had countless discussions between Manning/Brady...also about who the top 5 QBs in the NFL are...it goes on and on.  With Brady, usually folks are quick to throw out an * when talking about his feats.  WIth Manning, folks will bring up his shortcomings in the playoffs. 

Big Ben is usually mentioned when talking about the top QBs in the game, but I don't think folks really grasp how good he's been for the Steelers over the years.  There have been lists made by media members, folks on MBs, etc, where guys like Rivers and Brees are ranked higher.  Hey, it's all opinionated so there's really no right/wrong answer....At least on NT, I think he's borderline UNDERRATED....if he wins his 3rd SB, then what?  Where's his place in history?  Let's keep this discussion solely based off of Big Ben as a QB...

Stats are great...guys like Marino, Manning, and Farve have racked up the yardage, TDs, etc....

However, IMO the W/L record in the post-season trumps almost everything.  He's on the verge of accomplishing something amazing, all before he turns 30 years old. 

We've had countless discussions between Manning/Brady...also about who the top 5 QBs in the NFL are...it goes on and on.  With Brady, usually folks are quick to throw out an * when talking about his feats.  WIth Manning, folks will bring up his shortcomings in the playoffs. 

Big Ben is usually mentioned when talking about the top QBs in the game, but I don't think folks really grasp how good he's been for the Steelers over the years.  There have been lists made by media members, folks on MBs, etc, where guys like Rivers and Brees are ranked higher.  Hey, it's all opinionated so there's really no right/wrong answer....At least on NT, I think he's borderline UNDERRATED....if he wins his 3rd SB, then what?  Where's his place in history?  Let's keep this discussion solely based off of Big Ben as a QB...

He'll go down as this generation's Terry Bradshaw. Will be overlooked compared to Manning and Brady, but will be a HOF.

If he wins his third this year he's Top 3 or 5 QB in the league and will be looked at as one of the best QBs of this generation. He's proven in the playoffs to be a clutch performer with all the close games the Steelers have been in the playoffs.

If he wins his third this year he's Top 3 or 5 QB in the league and will be looked at as one of the best QBs of this generation. He's proven in the playoffs to be a clutch performer with all the close games the Steelers have been in the playoffs.

He'll go down as this generation's Terry Bradshaw. Will be overlooked compared to Manning and Brady, but will be a HOF.

but I don't think folks really grasp how good he's been for the Steelers over the years.
this.

if he gets #3 this year at 28 -- with the way the Steelers are run-- he could easily add to that total.

but I don't think folks really grasp how good he's been for the Steelers over the years.
this.

if he gets #3 this year at 28 -- with the way the Steelers are run-- he could easily add to that total.

I think he's an underrated QB as well. His off-field antics shouldn't weigh heavy on his ranking in my opinion, he's proved too much on the field to have that all taken away (which clearly differs from years past with Pacman Jones).

I have no problems with Ben on the field, except for this week
grin.gif

I think he's an underrated QB as well. His off-field antics shouldn't weigh heavy on his ranking in my opinion, he's proved too much on the field to have that all taken away (which clearly differs from years past with Pacman Jones).

I have no problems with Ben on the field, except for this week
grin.gif

Same breath as Brady because of the fact that he has as many rings.  Although rings is really a team acievement, Ben is definitely not going to be thought of in the same light as Brady and Peyton.  Ben is very underrated and does things better than Peyton and Brady when it comes to making throws under pressure because he does not go down easily at all. 

Brady has had some bad playoff losses recently.  #justsaying

Same breath as Brady because of the fact that he has as many rings.  Although rings is really a team acievement, Ben is definitely not going to be thought of in the same light as Brady and Peyton.  Ben is very underrated and does things better than Peyton and Brady when it comes to making throws under pressure because he does not go down easily at all. 

Brady has had some bad playoff losses recently.  #justsaying

Agree with most but we have to see if it happens first

Strangely Ben used to be overrated at first around 04-06, but now is underrated and often left out of 'top QB' discussions. Oh well as long as he wins I'm happy as a fan

Agree with most but we have to see if it happens first

Strangely Ben used to be overrated at first around 04-06, but now is underrated and often left out of 'top QB' discussions. Oh well as long as he wins I'm happy as a fan

His resume is starting to speak for itself. 

IF he wins this year, he'll be 10-2 postseason all time.  And 3 titles.  Matching Brady, with plenty of time left. 

His numbers aren't all that sexy, but they are solid enough, and most of the negative type numbers he put us were when he was younger.  Stands to reason as he enters his prime, he will put up better numbers, bringing his totals up and making them look more respectable next to his great postseason record. 

He's moving up quickly. 

His resume is starting to speak for itself. 

IF he wins this year, he'll be 10-2 postseason all time.  And 3 titles.  Matching Brady, with plenty of time left. 

His numbers aren't all that sexy, but they are solid enough, and most of the negative type numbers he put us were when he was younger.  Stands to reason as he enters his prime, he will put up better numbers, bringing his totals up and making them look more respectable next to his great postseason record. 

He's moving up quickly. 

Why Terry Bradshaw? Aside from the fact that they both are Steelers, Ben is the better QB....

Why Terry Bradshaw? Aside from the fact that they both are Steelers, Ben is the better QB....

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Agreed.  Terry does not get along with Ben anymore and even he would admit Ben is a much better QB than he ever was.

Although I don't agree with comparing generations, Terry's highest TD total from 1 year is 28, best completion % is 57.7, and yards passing is 3,724.  And these are all spread out from different seasons.  Ben's lowest completion % is still higher than Terry's best.    

Back
Top Bottom