If this doesn't inspire you then please check your pulse, you may be dead.

blame the poor people who voted tea party only to have their benefits cut off... it's fine, although their taxes wont increase, billy wont ever learn how to read because he doesnt have head start anymore, but the rich man is now taking another trip because billy mother and father voted for the rich man's politician. forever broke billy. thank your mom and dad.

Originally Posted by CallHimAR

We as young adults are more than able to organize our own movements. We have all the tools necessary to spread the word quickly. If peaceful protests don't start happening then nothing will change.

We have been PROTESTING and in 2011 what has changed? Washington Politicians are still crooks.  Look at this DEBT CEILING bull crap. Why aren't these Washington Democrats, who were crying Anti-War chants during the Bush years, asking for a DEBT CEILING in regards to the funding for these Wars?  9/11 was 10 years ago and these Politicians are still using this as a reason to spend Billions daily in Iraq/Afghanistan/Libya.  I am all for protesting but it's not about the movement, it's about how much $$$ we can put together to hire a lobbyist firm.  That's the only way our voice will be heard in Washington. Simple as that. 

Originally Posted by SunDOOBIE

Originally Posted by CallHimAR

We as young adults are more than able to organize our own movements. We have all the tools necessary to spread the word quickly. If peaceful protests don't start happening then nothing will change.

We have been PROTESTING and in 2011 what has changed? Washington Politicians are still crooks.  Look at this DEBT CEILING bull crap. Why aren't these Washington Democrats, who were crying Anti-War chants during the Bush years, asking for a DEBT CEILING in regards to the funding for these Wars?  9/11 was 10 years ago and these Politicians are still using this as a reason to spend Billions daily in Iraq/Afghanistan/Libya.  I am all for protesting but it's not about the movement, it's about how much $$$ we can put together to hire a lobbyist firm.  That's the only way our voice will be heard in Washington. Simple as that. 

It has to be continuous. And it has to be large. Going out into the streets for a single day is not going to cut it. Boycotting, civil disobedience and peaceful protesting still hold a lot of weight. If enough people get out and do these things we can make a difference. 
There is a lot wrong with both parties, however to say that the Democrats are hypocrites for wanting to raise the debt ceiling to "fund these wars" is a blatant lie. Many Democrats want to expand social programs that will help the majority of people in this country by raising taxes on the people who can afford to pay those taxes. However I agree wholeheartedly if you're trying to make the point that we spend too much on defense. It is ludicrous that our government would rather cut funding for education, science, and health care for those who can't afford it than defense.

In the years under Obama we've removed troops from Iraq and we're starting to remove them from Afghanistan. We became involved in Libya, not unilaterally like we did in Iraq and Afghanistan, but along with a number of other allies. Also 9/11 was never used as an excuse for Libya, so I don't know where you're getting that info from. 

^ Point taken. Continuous is not lucrative nor helping my family and I put food on the table. Back in college I was big on activism but I came to a realization that citizens here in America are too comfortable with their everyday lives to want REAL change. Sure everyone has a strong opinion but to actually make a contribution... well most people I know would rather donate to a cause than actually spend their own time for the cause. That's the bubble of living here in America.

Originally Posted by SunDOOBIE

^ Point taken. Continuous is not lucrative nor helping my family and I put food on the table. Back in college I was big on activism but I came to a realization that citizens here in America are too comfortable with their everyday lives to want REAL change. Sure everyone has a strong opinion but to actually make a contribution... well most people I know would rather donate to a cause than actually spend their own time for the cause. That's the bubble of living here in America.

I agree somewhat. Now that I'm out of college and about to go to grad school I feel more inclined to get out and do something while I have the time. I work full time, I have an unpaid internship and I've been studying for the GRE but I feel the need to make time to at least try and organize something. This debt ceiling bill is going to do much more harm than good. Participating in protests doesn't mean being at every single one. It means taking part in the boycotts, it means getting out whenever you can. You're right about Americans not wanting to spend their time to make a change, but in all honesty even if we raised a million dollars we still wouldn't have one onehundredth the voice Walmart or GE have. 
The only way we can do it is by showing we have strength in numbers people wise, not money wise.

Ill check on the 3 or so protests in San Francisco this weekend then see if the desired outcome is reached. Went to three last year (involving education) and instead of taking budget cuts off the table, we passed another parcel tax( to save a fraction of the cuts). Maybe its just  in the Bay Area where protests are a weekly occasion, but this isn't something I say without personal exp.

The Big Lebowski? No? Fail on my part.
It definitely is just the Bay Area. Need to make my way out there for grad school.

Back
Top Bottom