Information Technology (IT)

A friend and I just started developing websites for some local business. Do you guys have any suggestion as far as handling contracts and maintenance contracts to the client? 

we have been charging $70 per hour

I found much easier to learn HTML5 and CSS3 on youtube. There's some good tutorials to get you started and get you to a very efficient point where you can make some extra cash from it.

Most people do a set price, then charge monthly for maintenance .

Ex: $500 for the site , $50/mo for maintenance .

General website building is hardly as lucrative as it used to be. With all these template/wordpress type solutions, your clientele is mostly folk who don't know a damn about tech.

General website building is hardly as lucrative as it used to be. With all these template/wordpress type solutions, your clientele is mostly folk who don't know a damn about tech.
I agree, it's extremely easy to build and host a site now for only $30/mo. With great themes too.

Don't underestimate how computer illiterate folks are. People will pay you just to use those build a site places like wix because it's all a foreign language to them.

A friend and I just started developing websites for some local business. Do you guys have any suggestion as far as handling contracts and maintenance contracts to the client? 

we have been charging $70 per hour

I found much easier to learn HTML5 and CSS3 on youtube. There's some good tutorials to get you started and get you to a very efficient point where you can make some extra cash from it.

Most people do a set price, then charge monthly for maintenance .

Ex: $500 for the site , $50/mo for maintenance .

I was just about to make thread about this topic of contracts and suggestions on how to charge people. I've been making sites but mostly family or friends with a set price but no contracts but I definitely need to know about the contracts and things. Ive been searching the net with no answer or atleast no clear one. Also with the hosting, do you hnag on to all of that info or do you have to fork it over?

So heres my situation:

I came out of high school always looking to go into the health field. I had my sights set on nursing initially, and took all the prerequisite courses needed to apply to the program. I applied to the program when the time came, and unfortunately did not get accepted. I then took a year off to look at what I wanted to do. I decided to switch my major from nursing/bio to information systems which is a huge switch. All of the science/lab classes I had became electives and now all I have left are courses related to my major. This semester (my first as an IS major), I am taking accounting, micro econ, legal environment of business, and comp sci 1. I am considered a junior with three semesters left after this semester. I am currently still working at CVS as a pharm tech since I was looking into going into the health field in the past, but I know that I need to start looking for an internship related to IS. I want to look for a summer internship that starts after this semester ends in May. When is the best time to start applying? Any general advice or recommendations that you guys have for me?  Thanks

Start applying months in advance so that you will have lots of options available. So I would advise to immediately start looking from now.

got a help desk job paying 50k.... Only downside is that its a 9 hours shift mon-fri and the commute is like an hour and thats not including traffic 
sick.gif

do people here usually say what company they work for or should that be kept on the low on the internet????

Last edited:
I think its best to keep the company name off, but that's just me.

Congrats on the position. Get experience and try to find something closer.

got a help desk job paying 50k.... Only downside is that its a 9 hours shift mon-fri and the commute is like an hour and thats not including traffic :x  

do people here usually say what company they work for or should that be kept on the low on the internet????

We in the same boat, except my commute is closer to 35 min. In a year or two I'm gonna reevaluate my situation and try to get a higher position

Going to start studying for the Security+ Cert.

Know a couple of you guys in here have it and dropped some info/tips. Anyone else have any tips for studying for this? :nerd:

Any advice on CCNA? I have a book and signed up for Chris Bryant's bootcamp on Udemy but I'm struggling finding time to sit down and read through this book. Also whats a realistic amount of time to give myself before taking the test. I have router and switch experience would I be better off with doing a bunch of labs or actually studying some of the material? Halp.

Going to start studying for the Security+ Cert.

Know a couple of you guys in here have it and dropped some info/tips. Anyone else have any tips for studying for this?
nerd.gif
Use Get Certified Get Ahead materials. I used the ebook $10 and practice exam + simulations $40 .

Yea all you'll need is GCGA materials. Not sure if you're paying for the test or work. If you are get the bundle pack that comes with the free retake in case you fail.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom