Is Getting A Shapeup an "Unproffesional" Look?

Originally Posted by Gmills23

But forreal white people dont even really notice what black dudes get cuts/shapeups. So I dont think it's really a factor.
this is so true

Originally Posted by Crank Lucas

Originally Posted by Im Not You

obama%20thoughtful.jpg

Is it crisp? No. Is he getting shape ups? Yes.

thats not a shape up dude, its cleary grown out, and thats what I rock now, just grown out i quit that shape up thing, having a sharp crisp shapeup is corny now
indifferent.gif
Obviously he didn't just get up out of thebarber chair in that picture and he's wolfing a bit. But you can CLEARLY look at his hairline and tell that he'd been shaped up in the previousweek(s).

EDIT - I just read through the last couple pages in depth and I definitely gotta say some you _'s are completely WARPED
tired.gif

I've been black for 31 years now, and I have never heard of a line up being unprofessional. Like it's been stated before, older black men tend to brushtheir hair back because
that was the style when they were coming up and their hairlines are starting to recede.

If you're working in Corporate America then a shape up isn't really necessary because white people DO NOT notice the difference.

The only reason I get a shape up every week is because a) I'm used to it and damn near programmed and b) I could care less what I look like at the officebut I go out alot and I'll be damned if I'm rockin' an un-kept hairline out in public.

Originally Posted by solematic j21

I dont understand how its too black, hispanics get a shape up every week, whats wrong with that?
i remember da only spots you could get a shape up was uptown for a min.....cats from harlem was rockin wit haircuts wit no shapeups Juice/Newjackcity style
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by raptors29

Originally Posted by Basketballsavant

I don't think so, but braids and dreads are another story imo.
I hate how dreads are frowned upon in a lot of settings.

I also hate that. How is it that ALL of our haircuts are in question of being too ethnic?? Or too urban??? Are you not ethnic?? Didn't someone die forequal rights??...Jay said it best- Grow a set men.

I sort of get where you're coming from.  I had the same feeling about waves, for some reason to they looks very pimpish to me

I know exactly what they mean by sharp lines looking unprofessional but it's hard for me to put it in words. It's almost as if the shape gives an unnecessary sense of vanity, similar to what someone said about natural eyebrows vs tweezered eyebrows. It could almost be seen as "doing too much".

A large number of African American professionals rock the no-lineup look and they would look od funny if they were to get a sharp line. Denzel, Morgan Freeman, Forrest Whitaker, spike lee, Obama. Just to name a few. Someone please ps Obama with a razor sharp line :lol:

Nah no waves bruh. :lol: that hurt me to say it as a black man.

I used to take PRIDE in my waves. But just keep a neat cut. Hair laying down or organized well and you should be good.

I think it just portrays that you are so caught up on physical appearancet, That you probably stand in the shower brushing for half an hour . maybe shows your priorities aren't straight

360 waves would be too much imo. and those are never natural as far as i know. light natural waves would be fine (its natural). a clean shape up, is simple enough. your hair shouldn't draw attention to neither how bad or good it looks. presentable, that is all.

fades are fine. but like i said nothing thats OD.

anything else is no bueno. suzuki hairlines are no bueno. parts are no bueno. soul glo is def no bueno....

also no bueno
brady.jpg

bad-hairlines.jpg

neyo1.jpg

also, rachet hair styles give off the wrong impression in the corporate world, even in lax work environments like google. i would never roll up in the job market with locks or rows.

Smh @ something being a part of a culture considered unprofessional.

Lack of line up is lame and looks messy, especially on a person with coarse hair.

An edge up is trimming the edges of one's hair with clippers or a razor in attempt to get a crisp line.

Last edited:
I already got rid of my Freeway. I will not get rid of the waves. They've been with me for over a decade. We have a bond, similar to dudes with dreads.

Didn't hurt me during the recruiting process, hopefully it doesn't hurt me when I start full time

Last edited:
I think a temp fade would get a pass, anything else would be a little too extreme imo.

OD sharp lines and other hair styles kinda falls into the same category as wearing earrings. It's accepted but doesn't say "I'm a mature well rounded professional". Lineups and earrings say "I'm young with swag. I pay 200+ on sneakers, I don't drive hyundais, kias or any other car that's considered economical because it's a tell tale sign that I dont make much. I listen to music that would embarrass the company if played in the foyer in front of clients. My prime objective with the company is to snatch up the cute girl in accounting and buy a pair of ID Lebrons to post on NT".

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom