Is Jay-Z too old to Rap

"At this point we tired of it" -kanye

Jay needs to hang it up, magna carter should be his last album

I understand that this is your opinion, but it wasn't like MCHG wasn't received all that well. Quite the contrary actually. His solo tour did awesome. He went over half a million first week in this climate.

Everything suggest that the world isn't tired of him at all. The World likes his music, for one reason or another they do. So why should he stop?

Hes living off what he used to do

Nobody wanted to see mj shooting a bunch of mid range fadeaways at 45

Hes hurting his legacy musically

Jay's still winning though.. Album sold a milli, Had the tour with JT and Holy Grail was a HUGE hit record. The man is still a huge force in the industry.

Nah b . Kanye now isn't the same kanye back then. He gon have jay rapping over trap beats and Yeezus throwaways. Give me a album with more just blaze beats and im good.

:lol:.. that's true though. Kanye on some other **** I doubt Jay could even rap on one of his beats anymore. Meanwhile Ye is executive producing the mole rats album so we'll see how that turns out.

Last edited:
Hes living off what he used to do

Nobody wanted to see mj shooting a bunch of mid range fadeaways at 45

Hes hurting his legacy musically

If MJ was averaging 26 a game at 45 they would.

That's essentially what Jay Z is doing. Don't bring "Legacy" into this because you're romanticizing his career. Understand, whether he's "Living off of what he used to do" or not, there is still a huge desire for Hov's music. There's far more to suggest that Jay Z's music still hits the people hard. Far more than to say he's fallen off.

I think ya'll are forgetting that alot of these old dudes who are still rocking since the 60's were making music about crime and drugs just like Jay and Nas. Rap music simply didn't exist back then.

Rap does not exist in a vacuum. Music is music.

But if you don't thing J**** should be rapping anymore, let your reasoning be the quality of the music, not his age. Age doesn't mean **** in music.

Well, you said it here just misplaced some words. His quality of music has gone down with age. He's been putting out duds, he's rich as hell and not as hungry as he was. He has no competition around and people think he's the best alive for whatever reason. So age and time have played a role in his average and below average albums.

The thing about MJ and Hov is that the NBA had talent to continue pushing the envelope, in rap and hip hop we don't have that; i don't care who the nicest young rapper is right now im pretty sure when it come to skills they cant crossover jay-z like Iverson crossed MJ.

Well, you said it here just misplaced some words. His quality of music has gone down with age. He's been putting out duds, he's rich as hell and not as hungry as he was. He has no competition around and people think he's the best alive for whatever reason. So age and time have played a role in his average and below average albums.

No. In your opinion his quality of music has gone down with age. Your opinion doesn't speak for everyone. What if I said I thought He's gotten better with age and that I loved magna Carta? You can't dispute that.

The only thing we can go by is how the people are receiving the music, and everything says that people are more than welcome and love Jay Z albums. He still moves more units than everyone in rap music today. Literally NWTS didn't move more than MCHG first week. Sales don't mean much, but in this respect they do. There's obviously a whole lot of people who still desire jay z music and as long as that's the case, I don't know how we can say his quality has declined or that he's too old to rap. In your opinion it may be so, but it's obviously shared by very few people.

The thing about MJ and Hov is that the NBA had talent to continue pushing the envelope, in rap and hip hop we don't have that; i don't care who the nicest young rapper is right now im pretty sure when it come to skills they cant crossover jay-z like Iverson crossed MJ.

:lol: :lol:

I think they can. Now what?

I think there are two different issues being discussed:

People who watched J rise and the music he put out during it dont want him to continue because he is far from what he once was.

People who see J as one of the main power player in the industry and musical icon dont mind him making music because ppl still purchase as much as they always have ( and he may have a joint or two)

His core doesnt support him as much. They pay attention to his moves but dont look to him for that kinda heat he used to supply becuase they dont get fed what they are used to getting. But where they have fallen off, new supporters have come in because of his legendary status and mass appeal.

His music may suck to those who was a fan of his older styles and lyricism. That what made him the best. But what he is now creates more impact and change to music and the world than before. ANd hes still using the same vehicle of music because it helps his newer world brand. "IF skill sold truth be told, I'de prolly be, lyrically Tablib Kweli....."

Sure was. And rock fans grew together with their favorite bands. The disconnect in rap seems to be the fans don't want to grow up. Fans overly concerned with being hip will latch onto any new act, no matter how crap, and isht on older acts, no matter how polished.

I've said this before. It's not about Jay being old. It's about us pretending to be young.
Very interesting perspective.
it was young because rock was young. It wasn't like rock had been around for years with the old heads transitioning out. Rock was still a new concept in the 50s. All they really had were solo kings before them like Elvis and Cash, Bully, so when these groups got in, they were the leaders of the new. You don't see many new rock n roll acts now. You still see the same old heads. Rock borrowed so many different aspects of other music genres, it transitions into other categories when you aren't paying attention. It doesnt really have as much of an age as rap does. Rap is more of a 'here and now' expression of music. It's a way to define 'today'. I'm not saying Hov shouldn't rap, but he's still talking about that 92 bricks. He's the main reason he seems old. He keeps reliving that 4 touchdowns at polk high.
You don't or people in general don't? If you are saying the latter then you couldn't be more wrong. There are plenty of new rock n roll acts, they just haven't become household names like the Legends because unlike rap music, rock artist will have to put out a lot of great albums before they are deemed great.

No. In your opinion his quality of music has gone down with age. Your opinion doesn't speak for everyone. What if I said I thought He's gotten better with age and that I loved magna Carta? You can't dispute that.

The only thing we can go by is how the people are receiving the music, and everything says that people are more than welcome and love Jay Z albums. He still moves more units than everyone in rap music today. Literally NWTS didn't move more than MCHG first week. Sales don't mean much, but in this respect they do. There's obviously a whole lot of people who still desire jay z music and as long as that's the case, I don't know how we can say his quality has declined or that he's too old to rap. In your opinion it may be so, but it's obviously shared by very few people.

- it's not an opinion that his last 3-4 albums are lazy and weak compared to RD, Vol 1 or BP.

- I don't care about his sales or popularity. It's cool to like Jay Z, people follow and buy that ****. Hip hop fans aren't loyal, they're followers.

"if buying records was like voting, different dudes would be on top"

- it's not an opinion that his last 3-4 albums are lazy and weak compared to RD, Vol 1 or BP.

- I don't care about his sales or popularity. It's cool to like Jay Z, people follow and buy that ****. Hip hop fans aren't loyal, they're followers.

- Yes it is dude :lol: :lol: what makes his last 3 to 4 albums lazy? Because you or someone else think they are? What the hell :rofl:

- You may not care about his sales or popularity, and the reasoning for why people buy Jay Z records is a moot point. Hip Hop fans being followers all of that is horse****. It doesn't matter. The Fact is plenty of people still like Jay Z enough to where he's the highest selling artist in Rap Music. Period. So, by that metric, (The only unbiased non subjective one) Jay Z hasn't fallen off, regardless of how you feel about his music.

- Yes it is dude :lol: :lol: what makes his last 3 to 4 albums lazy? Because you or someone else think they are? What the hell :rofl:

- You may not care about his sales or popularity, and the reasoning for why people buy Jay Z records is a moot point. Hip Hop fans being followers all of that is horse****. It doesn't matter. The Fact is plenty of people still like Jay Z enough to where he's the highest selling artist in Rap Music. Period. So, by that metric, (The only unbiased non subjective one) Jay Z hasn't fallen off, regardless of how you feel about his music.
He's not the highest selling though
Eminem is
Also PAC has sold more albums than jay and jay has put out more material

Last edited:
He's not the highest selling though
Eminem is
Also PAC has sold more albums than jay and jay has put out more material

I'm talking about today, Pac obviously doesn't apply.

And Eminem...well Jay Z is second. The point still stands though.

It's bizarre to me that Rap is the ONLY genre that shuns it's elders. 

It's also bizarre to me that some of Rap's elders have to try to act and look like the youth in an attempt to stay relevant.

It's sad...and one of the reasons why the genre has gone to **** commercially.

Last edited:
The few that are still good when they get old still get their respect.
Ghostface, Scarface, Devin, Bun, Chef, etc. all get love still and are recognized as still being able to put out good work. Jay has put out 1 good album since his "retirement" so that's why we're over him. This Beyoncé album ain't gonna help his cause either.

Last edited:
Paul McCartney just released a smash hit record with Kanye and Rihanna.

Aerosmith is out here selling out full international tours.

The Rolling Stones are still touring selling out stadiums.

So....no.

One day you're gonna be in Vegas and you'll see a big sign outside of Ceasar's Palace that says "LIVE! RED & METH! 2 SHOWS A DAY!"

Word.

American Gangster is my 2nd or 3rd fav Jay-z album but since then his career has been forgetful. But I think dude is more interested in making songs like 'empire state of mind' and '****** in paris' nowadays.

Last edited:

Repped.. That's real..

It's bizarre to me that Rap is the ONLY genre that shuns it's elders. 

It's also bizarre to me that some of Rap's elders have to try to act and look like the youth in an attempt to stay relevant.

It's sad...and one of the reasons why the genre has gone to **** commercially.

And why rap hasn't continued to grow as an art form since the 90's, and has regressed.

Grandmaster Caz & Melle Mel > Kool Moe Dee & LL > Rakim & Kane > Nas & Big....

Is Beyonce supposed to retire and make way for someone else, because she's 30?

Rap is so bad, because damn near everyone thinks they can rap. All you need is melody and a uptempo beat. No lyricism. No Skills.

Rap was the all star game, because it was the best of the best. Now it's your local playground.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom