Is Jay-Z too old to Rap

I don't think Jay-Z is too old to rap.

However, I do think his subject matter is past his age.

Like it stated in the first pages, hip hop is young mans genre.

People wanna compare hip hop to rock and other genres and that's fine, but they have aged very very differently so the parallels are pretty small.

Perhaps he should switch his subject matter to something that suits his age and people his age can relate to, not trying to stay hip with the young crowd.

But for hiphop, that's probably a very boring subject.

"The thing w/ the singing is...none of these ****** like Ty are really out here trying to be some breathtaking vocalist."

That's because they can't :lol:. So they do what's easier...or what is in their skill set. And we make them rich.

I'm not really down wit all that. You can't play in the NBA if you can't ball. But you can be a rich and famous singer if you can't sing. You can be a big rapper even if you can't spit. The music game has weak standards today is all I'm saying. You all are free to like who you like. I just study the game past to present, and I can see where people stack talent wise. I can discern the difference between what was and what is. Some feel there is no difference. To those people, I really just don't know what to say except for, we are all entitled to our own opinions, I suppose :lol:

To me, its not even about his age. Its the same tired persona over new production that makes him seem wack nowadays. Magna Carta was wack for this reason. Its almost like theres no one in the studio sayin no to him. He would've been better off makin an EP. Production can kill an album. But i will say, take those same tracks, insert different artist...... Different results. No one in his camp will tell him that.

Jay-Z is Jay-Z.

His legacy is set in stone. That ****** not making music to appease rap critics. He's doing it for a check. He stoped caring a long time ago.

As long as hip hop has lanes available for acts like Young Thug we have to let our old heads continue to contribute. A washed up Jay-Z still better than most of what's thrown at us these days. You're a liar if you saying MCHG didn't have joints on it. So what if it wasn't a classic. Same for Life Is Good. And 36 Seasons. Etc. They aren't hurting anyone releasing music and frankly I'm tired of hearing folks cry about it. Don't matter if its Jay, Nas, Ghost or whoever. These guys spots are solidified, everything else they give us is a bonus. Why turn a nose up to it?
I agree JAY far removed from the BLUEPRINT days but as someone else said RAP is a so called "YOUNG MAN'S GAME" cause rap fans don't wanna grow up & mature they wanna keep hearing about foolishess 20 yr olds rap about

Just make music that sounds good to me. That's all that matters to me. I don't care about age.

I don't even like Jay Z and the answer to this question is no In my opinion. M jus won a Grammy for Rap album of year at age 42. Jay will rap for as long as he wants to. Though I do not understand why both these 2 are still rapping but thats another story. Who are we to judge tho? J has paid his dues and has the funds to do whatever he wants to do.

Last edited:
The funniest part about all of this is that, some of the same people trashing Jay are in other posts big upping wack artists :lol:

I personally don't really need another Jay-Z album, but that's because he's dropped 14 of them! Not because he's wack. Dudes hate Jay just because he's Jay.

We'll see what people have to say about cats like Drake when he's 40+. Except his raps won't even last him that long...

This

he not too old. but his flow and lyrics are really too old.

What :lol:

Maybe he needs to copy the hot flow of the moment like Wayne or Drake.

Jay just ain't got nothing to talk about anymore. Doesn't seem as if rap is a top priority for him. And that's cool I guess. Dude is all about his business.

I think this is part of it

I don't think Jay-Z is too old to rap.

However, I do think his subject matter is past his age.

Like it stated in the first pages, hip hop is young mans genre.

People wanna compare hip hop to rock and other genres and that's fine, but they have aged very very differently so the parallels are pretty small.

Perhaps he should switch his subject matter to something that suits his age and people his age can relate to, not trying to stay hip with the young crowd.

But for hiphop, that's probably a very boring subject.

How old is rock? How old is rap?

They're pretty paralleled.

I'm not going to discuss Chuck Berry, but from Elvis and The Beatles...you're a little more than two generations removed from that. The Rolling Stones can still put out music. The young people don't whine about it. They just don't listen, because it's not for them. The Rolling Stones put out music for their fans.

old dudes come in to defend old dudes...stans stan...never fails

and stupid never fails to show it's intelligence...

To me, its not even about his age. Its the same tired persona over new production that makes him seem wack nowadays. Magna Carta was wack for this reason. Its almost like theres no one in the studio sayin no to him. He would've been better off makin an EP. Production can kill an album. But i will say, take those same tracks, insert different artist...... Different results. No one in his camp will tell him that.

Music is subjective, because you didn't like it doesn't mean others didn't.

Jay-Z is Jay-Z.

His legacy is set in stone. That ****** not making music to appease rap critics. He's doing it for a check. He stoped caring a long time ago.

Doesn't need to do it for a check, because music probably brings him the smallest at this point. It's a chance to get stuff off his chest he doesn't say in interviews.

He's been rapping for most of his life.

Grandmaster Caz still writes raps and hasn't put out music in three decades. A creator doesn't stop creating.

If Nate Dogg can get jiggy with his music in his day, then Ty is just fine.

Ty is cool for what he does but son ain't in Nate Doggs league. Nate could actually sing. Ty and PND are just more _'s relaying on beats and catchyness. And the game is filled with them dudes.

Ty is cool for what he does but son ain't in Nate Doggs league. Nate could actually sing. Ty and PND are just more _'s relaying on beats and catchyness. And the game is filled with them dudes.

Nate couldn't sing all that well and if he was a better vocalist than Ty, it was a moot point. Nate, like Ty's strong points wasn't his singing ability.

You can never be too old to rap . Certain rappers make music that doesn't age well , however as these 70+ year old rockers retire from performing rappers like common, wutang , jay-z, nas , outkast etc will take their place .

He wasn't Luther but Nate could sing bruh. Very well.

Ty can't even sing as good as T-Pain if we being for real. He shouldn't even be mentioned with Nate.

His solo tour did awesome. He went over half a million first week in this climate.

Everything suggest that the world isn't tired of him at all. The World likes his music, for one reason or another they do. So why should he stop?

This statement right here should have been the end of any and all discussion and or doubt on the matter at hand. Why quit when Jay is still leading the league....

This
What :lol:

Maybe he needs to copy the hot flow of the moment like Wayne or Drake.
I think this is part of it
How old is rock? How old is rap?

They're pretty paralleled.

I'm not going to discuss Chuck Berry, but from Elvis and The Beatles...you're a little more than two generations removed from that. The Rolling Stones can still put out music. The young people don't whine about it. They just don't listen, because it's not for them. The Rolling Stones put out music for their fans.
and stupid never fails to show it's intelligence...
Music is subjective, because you didn't like it doesn't mean others didn't.
Doesn't need to do it for a check, because music probably brings him the smallest at this point. It's a chance to get stuff off his chest he doesn't say in interviews.

He's been rapping for most of his life.

Grandmaster Caz still writes raps and hasn't put out music in three decades. A creator doesn't stop creating.

Alot of people didnt like Magna Carta..... That one faded way faster than his other albums.... I think albums for him just help support his brand as a rapper..... He couldnt possibly think it was great.

Danny brown is still a relatively new artist

Being corporate allowed jay to survive this long
If that was the case you could say the same thing about Wayne. He mightve emulated Young thug one time but thats not forever, like Drake and that Migos flow. Kanye is climbing up the age later as well ppl are still willing to listen to him. 

Back
Top Bottom