IS KOBE BRYANT...OVERRATED?

One trust

Its frustrating because any HOF with the amount of succes Kobe had , was obviously fortunate or maybe even lucky.

But why is this ''fortunate'' word always brought up when discussing Kobe ?

Was Duncan ''fortunate'' ? He did land in a pretty good spot, teamed with the admiral right outta college and teamed up with a HOF backcourt and coach.

Was Bill Russell ''fortunate'' ? He did play in an era with very few teams and even fewer players could compete with him physically, plus 1 of the g.o.a.t. coaches

Majority of the top HOF'ers can be labeled ''fortunate'' because they played on great teams with great players or in an era with almost no consistent competition.

Also once people use the word fortunate, their next step is to say " If iverson, tmac, or vince played with Shaq'' and that just speculative nonsense with absolutely no real way to prove those assumptions.

If Kobe is to be called fortunate why dont we label other all time greats the same way? just doesnt seem consistent

One trust
Its frustrating because any HOF with the amount of succes Kobe had , was obviously fortunate or maybe even lucky.
But why is this ''fortunate'' word always brought up when discussing Kobe ?
Was Duncan ''fortunate'' ? He did land in a pretty good spot, teamed with the admiral right outta college and teamed up with a HOF backcourt and coach.
Was Bill Russell ''fortunate'' ? He did play in an era with very few teams and even fewer players could compete with him physically, plus 1 of the g.o.a.t. coaches
Majority of the top HOF'ers can be labeled ''fortunate'' because they played on great teams with great players or in an era with almost no consistent competition.
Also once people use the word fortunate, their next step is to say " If iverson, tmac, or vince played with Shaq'' and that just speculative nonsense with absolutely no real way to prove those assumptions.
If Kobe is to be called fortunate why dont we label other all time greats the same way? just doesnt seem consistent

because there are a lot of haters that use their emotions instead of facts and valid arguments. just cause they dont like kobe they are always gonna come up with something to discredit his accomplishments and say all he is, is scorer or call him a rapist. just cause kobe doesnt have double figure assists and the charges were dropped in that rape case. yet when it comes to jordan, they never talk about the fact that jordan was exactly the same was, a scorer. you think that jordan has double figure assists? or the gambling issues that jordan had? no cause to those people, jordan is god and kobe is just a copy cat. there are even stupid people that claim that jason kidd is a better player than kobe.. you got to be f*cking kidding me.. jason kidd is a great player and doesnt need to score to make an impact, that's true. but if even jkidd says that kobe is a better player..

but that is what they always do and that will never change. haters say they dont like kobe, like they have met him in person, like they know how he is off the court.. just because he is portrayed in some way by the media that is how people perceive him to be. and that is how haters make their judgment

Last edited:
Regarding last nights game. In the second quarter, there was a string of about 4 or 5 possessions in row where Kobe touched the ball, didnt even look to pass, and forced up horrible highly contested jumpshots that all missed. Yes, he made some tough shots in the 4th quarter and the Lakers made a run. But too often, many Kobe fans let a few nice tough jumpshots overshadow an entire bad quarter like the one Kobe had yesterday. Then they come on and post his stats and say " He Played Well"
eyes.gif
This is pretty much how his career has played out.  Does anyone remember the Gale Sayers book "I Am Third"?  Sayers stated that God is first,my family is second,and I am third.  Kobe has been writing his book over the last 16 years and it will be titled " I am First,Second,and Third."

Anyone got the recent ESPN insider piece by Broussard talking about how Kobe's is hurting the Lakers this season?

Lakers' problems stem from Kobe
Opposing GM, coach and scout point to Bryant for Lakers' ills

Anyone got the recent ESPN insider piece by Broussard talking about how Kobe's is hurting the Lakers this season?
does that guy even watch basketball games or just stat? broussard is a idiot.

if the lakers are up big , kobe gonna sit and take less shots......if someone else is hot , kobes gonna take less shots

stat nerds just look at it like "well jeez if kobe shoots alot = lakers suck"

kobes putting up 30 a night on 48% from the field with 5 dimes. 

lakers are playing bad as a whole , but broussard just likes to stir things up , he lost his credability as a journalist during

the whole lebron free agency fiasco where he was reporting all type of nonsense , the man has no sense of integrity 

does that guy even watch basketball games or just stat? broussard is a idiot.

if the lakers are up big , kobe gonna sit and take less shots......if someone else is hot , kobes gonna take less shots

stat nerds just look at it like "well jeez if kobe shoots alot = lakers suck"

kobes putting up 30 a night on 48% from the field with 5 dimes. 

lakers are playing bad as a whole , but broussard just likes to stir things up , he lost his credability as a journalist during

the whole lebron free agency fiasco where he was reporting all type of nonsense , the man has no sense of integrity 
5 dimes.
roll.gif
You think that's a lot?

*waits for "yeah, for a shooting guard"* comment.

The guy dominates the ball, and doesn't pass it. It is very, very evident. All you have to do is watch 3 Lakers games. Forget the stats when he scores 30, forget who is injured and who isn't. 5 assists for the amount of minutes he plays combined with the amount of time the ball is in his hands... is a joke.

I cannot believe that people continue defending this guy and thinking the stats are miscontrued of something. Why don't you watch 3 games, ignore the stats, put the TV on mute, and watch the games on a play-by-play basis. If you can do that and still think that he's out there helping his team... you simply don't know anything about basketball.

And yes, somebody please post that article.

Andrew Bynum says he's a cancer.

I promise that Matt Barnes would say the same thing.

Why did Ramon Sessions decline a $4.5M option for this season to play in L.A., and then went and signed for the same salary in CHARLOTTE, albeit for only one extra year? He knew that he needed to get out of LA because his value was going to drop playing with Kobe, and he didn't want to end up getting a $3M salary in free agency.

Let's start being honest and put the Stanship aside.

Last edited:
Kobe's shooting ~47% this season, so I don't really see what the problem is. Most of the Lakers woes come from having to use PGs they didn't think they'd be using, and without a facilitator, offense goes to hell, and the Lakers surrender a lot of points because of offensive miscommunications.

Let's say Kobe were to assume the role of a facilitator anyways. My question now is: Who does Kobe pass to?

5 dimes.
roll.gif
You think that's a lot?

*waits for "yeah, for a shooting guard"* comment.

The guy dominates the ball, and doesn't pass it. It is very, very evident. All you have to do is watch 3 Lakers games. Forget the stats when he scores 30, forget who is injured and who isn't. 5 assists for the amount of minutes he plays combined with the amount of time the ball is in his hands... is a joke.

I cannot believe that people continue defending this guy and thinking the stats are miscontrued of something. Why don't you watch 3 games, ignore the stats, put the TV on mute, and watch the games on a play-by-play basis. If you can do that and still think that he's out there helping his team... you simply don't know anything about basketball.

And yes, somebody please post that article.

Andrew Bynum says he's a cancer.

I promise that Matt Barnes would say the same thing.

Why did Ramon Sessions decline a $4.5M option for this season to play in L.A., and then went and signed for the same salary in CHARLOTTE, albeit for only one extra year? He knew that he needed to get out of LA because his value was going to drop playing with Kobe, and he didn't want to end up getting a $3M salary in free agency.

Let's start being honest and put the Stanship aside.
Man, Andrew Bynum, Matt Barnes, and Ramon Sessions sure are some great players. 
mean.gif

Kobe's shooting ~47% this season, so I don't really see what the problem is. Most of the Lakers woes come from having to use PGs they didn't think they'd be using, and without a facilitator, offense goes to hell, and the Lakers surrender a lot of points because of offensive miscommunications.

Let's say Kobe were to assume the role of a facilitator anyways. My question now is: Who does Kobe pass to?
I just wish Bean would miss 15 games and Nash could run the team.

Then, if you watch, I won't have to answer the question "who does Kobe pass to?"

Who does Kobe pass to?

He doesn't.

Member2323 cmon fam you're reaching , how do you know why ramone took that contract with Charlotte did u speak to him or his agent?

And u "promise" that matt Barnes would say kobe is a cancer? Really u promise, oh ok that makes your post so much more credible.

Your emotions are getting the best of you

:lol: You need to stop talking about things you don't know about.

And that includes all the other nonsense you posted about assist totals. In the top 30 of assists, only 5 are not PGs... One of which Kirk Heinrich is a PG.

Only 5 players that are not PGs have 4.9 or more assists.

Last edited:
Yeah ok. Kobe has nearly 6k assists in his career. He doesnt pass eh?
I've already stated my opinion that I dont think he is over or underrated.
But goin through this ridiculous thread more, I am starting to think he is actually underrated as a bball player, accolades aside.
He has done more with less from an individual standpoint.
I'll elaborate and ETHER Longstroke and Member later.

Don't know why I'm entertaining this thread but whatever here goes :lol:

As i've stated before Kobe Bryant is a another really good high volume guy with the fortune of playing under the best coach in league history with one of the top 3 centers in league history for the majority of his career. Does that make him overrated?

To a degree, not fully though. There is no doubt that playing with a prime shaq, a prime gasol, and under PJ has played a huge role in his status amongst the NBA elite. That is not up for discussion. So from that perspective, maybe he is a little overrated because he is a high volume guy and it can definitely be argued that you could replace other really good high volume guys and maybe get the same results as Kobe did. (I know, same old argument but it's unavoidable when you're talking about whether or not bean is overrated)

However, at the same time Kobe could have just been a role player on those teams and been a 15 ppg player in the league. You have to be an extremely talented basketball player (EXTREMELY) to be able to do some of the stuff he's accomplished in the NBA. 30k points,81 points in a game, 62 in 3 quarters, countless shots in the clutch, multiple runs of 40 and 50 point games in a row, that isn't overrated, that can't be. No matter what way you cut it, that isn't overrated. That's greatness. His skill, if anything is underrated. VERY FEW in the history of the L can replicate what Kobe has done and is continuing to do in his career.

So as a basketball player is he overrated? **** no. He's a phenomenal talent who has maximized his potential as a basketball player fully. He has good size, but everything else imo was acquired. He was never the most athletic, the quickest, jumped the highest, etc. especially when you compare him to his peers of his time. (This is not to say that he was a slouch in those departments, it's just saying that his natural gifts were not nearly as evident in comparison to those guys)

His fortune is imo what makes him Overrated/Underrated because they sort of skew his place in NBA history. To have the fortune to play under phil, with a prime shaq, a prime gasol, a prime dwight, steve nash, etc. have to account for something in regards to his lustrous legacy.

So your telling me kobe not a legend? So your telling me you can beat h right now? Wait you got 5 NBA titles? Ohh ok!!

Back
Top Bottom