Jay-Z Or Nas? Vol. Complex

The Nas vs. Jay-Z concept should have died with their beef and LOGICALLY should only exist within their lyrical content that addresses their issues. Ether remains a colloquial term in urban vernacular because Nas proved he could write a better song than Jay-Z, which made Nas the victor of the "battle". These thirsty faux-journalists over at Complex will write anything for click, even if it's not thought provoking or it's unfiltered and impulsive writing. I don't know who should be more ashamed for being media illiterate, Complex or its users. Comparing Jay-Z and Nas outside of lyrical prowess is like comparing a halfback and a defensive tackle, or comparing a tank to a Lamborghini.

I love illmatic... its a great album. classic. its as important as it gets.

but the idea that reasonable doubt, life after death(imo best rap album of all time), arent or cant be better albums always gets to me.

like song for song....

Lost tapes > than anything jay has dropped imo. And I like both Jay and Nas

He can't
He just wanted to use a "fancy" word
So it makes it seem like he knows what he's talking about

"Best flow, most consistent, realest stories
Most charisma, I set the most trends
And my interviews are hotter, holla"

Anyway:
Beat selection
Flow
Wordplay
Story telling
Performance
Sales
Balancing content with mass appeal
Business sense
Originality
Authenticity

Jay-Z >>>>

He can't
He just wanted to use a "fancy" word
So it makes it seem like he knows what he's talking about

"Best flow, most consistent, realest stories
Most charisma, I set the most trends
And my interviews are hotter, holla"

Anyway:
Beat selection
Flow
Wordplay
Story telling

Performance
Sales
Balancing content with mass appeal
Business sense
Originality
Authenticity

Jay-Z >>>>

How can you say Jay is original and authentic... did you forget how he came out rapping... that fast crap.

He listened to the likes of NaS on illmatic, Rae on OB4CL, Big Ready to Die and changed up his whole style.

You Jay fans may not want to admit it but NaS is his favorite rapper, influenced him the most... that's why when NaS thought he wasn't worthy to do a song with him because he was a mediocre MC he tried to do the B thing and play games/mind games and chase after his baby moms to be on some spiteful sh..

"You N's deal with emotions like B's"

:smh:

Tired of this subject I like them both...

I rather have Jay's career with NaS's props and accolades from peers and people who really know Hip Hop.

Some time cat's rap fast sometime they rap slow. Hov can do both, excellently. Everybody rapped differently the 90s. Then people got more complicated with flows, more multisyllabic bars etc Evolving and growing in your craft does not ma me you inauthentic.

Some time cat's rap fast sometime they rap slow. Hov can do both, excellently. Everybody rapped differently the 90s. Then people got more complicated with flows, more multisyllabic bars etc Evolving and growing in your craft does not ma me you inauthentic.
Dont do that man im a Nas fan but not a mindless one and try to view things as objectively as possible

Its known fact that he was rapping that fast ish because he modeled himself after Jaz o and then switched up his whole style when the best of that time were rapping different

And it wasnt sometimes Thats all dude rapped like before RD

Let's not forget he stole young Chris flow either :smh:
Jay a snake
A goddamn snake
Crazy how people don't like to admit the REAL reason jay made it
Cause big and PAC ain't here
If they were still alive jay wouldn't have had no time to shine with them around
Shiiiiiiiit I wouldn't be surprised if jay snake self set both them up
So he could Scheme his way into the limelight :smh:
Prolly got DMX back on that stuff too
Saw how good he was and better than him
And prolly peer pressured him to get back on that stuff
Shiiiiit wouldn't be surprised if he set beanie up on them tax charges either
Ol snitching self
See what he did to get that presidency at def jam
Broke up that black distribution thing irv puff and them was settin up
Jay a snake PERIOD
I'm telling y'all he been dropping bread crumbs but y'all ain't been payin attention

I hope everyone in here isn't as closed minded to the one they aren't stanning for. Both are so good I don't see how you couldn't like them at all. At least some of their music.

I'll agree Jay's last great album was Black Album but he's done so much since that is good. I'd take Life is Good over most of it though album wise.

Who is better lyrically or whose catalog is better will always be argued but all that stuff is subjective.

Look at the legit facts and numbers.

Jay is more successful got more money...beyonce...roc nation....samsung....roc nation sports....clubs.....tours...songs on the radio...etc.

Nas just had a movie come out dats now going straight to dvd..if jay z had a movie would be in theatres.

Wens the last time u heard a nas song in the club...in a dtlr lol ...

If jay lost i would love to lose watever game they were playing.

And i don't eem like jayz no more

Who is better lyrically or whose catalog is better will always be argued but all that stuff is subjective.

Jay is more successful got more money...beyonce...roc nation....samsung....roc nation sports....clubs.....tours...songs on the radio...etc.

Nas just had a movie come out dats now going straight to dvd..if jay z had a movie would be in theatres.

So we gonna base whose better by how many songs they had playing in the club???
If that's the case young thug would be considered the goat

So we gonna base whose better by how many songs they had playing in the club???
If that's the case young thug would be considered the goat
I just mean successful in general.

things not based on opinion.
Egregious contradiction ...

I always thought dudes was trollin wen they said nas won.

Wat he win looool.

I always thought dudes was trollin wen they said nas won.

Wat he win looool.
I have to invest in a company like Complex, they're getting stupid PAID by trollin' the uninformed between the ages of 18-34! 
eek.gif

Takeover” started a war, awakening Nas’ competitive spirit.The rap game stopped when he dropped “Ether,” but in hindsight, it was just a personal attack on sexual orientation and looks. And the beat isn’t on the same level as J****’s first shot.

I hate when people mention this about Ether, as if there wasnt facts

- Jay kept his name in his music even said, "Whose the best? Biggie, JayZ & Nas." Sampled him on Dead Prez, Rap Game/Crap Game, etc. Mention em on every album before he dissed em on BP.
- Em had a better verse on Renegade
- Said he was better then Biggie "If I aint better then Big, I'm the closest one."
- Hawaiian shirts *Hawaiian Sofie song

Last edited:
^Not to mention damn near everything Jay said about Nas on Takeover was a lie or fabrication.

if jay z had a movie would be in theatres.

That first line is supposed to be a "fact"? One that starts with "if"?

And please don't tell me you were trying to make an intelligent point with the 2nd line either.

Back
Top Bottom