Jay-Z Or Nas? Vol. Complex

Lets not act like "i know i can" isnt a hard knock life replica
Completely different tracks

H.K.L= Hustler/Street Anthem Masked by a smooth *** beat and sick sample from left field 

I know i can= A thought provoking and uplifting song with a fur Elise sample

too totally different concepts and songs, Both great both not the same

Last edited:
Last edited:
Deuce fooling himself. He know DMX was running things after '98. To even pit Jay against Nas in that sort of question is faulty. Jay's actual rise to prominence came off of that battle and with the backing of the Roc. He wasn't running anything in NYC let alone all of rap at that time. Shame too cuz he had some good albums around then.

No champ because the people or two in comparison here were Jay and Nas, not Jay versus everyone else or Nas versus everyone one.  Dont' be a fraud my man.  The two people in question here are Jay and Nas, do you understand that??  Even with that being said, DMX had a good 2 year run at best, after that it's been nothing but rehab ever since, that and dressing up as a federal agent at your local airport, but enough about that guy.  We're talking about Jay and Nas directly here, and I need you to stay and be focused @Master Zik

LOL@ Jay's rise to prominence came off of that battle, where's a kid like you at??  Jay was everyone in late '98 and even well after '98.  Where was Nas in comparison be it back then or even now??  If Jay wasn't running anything in NYC as you claim why was he all over the radio, why was his music heard more and why were his features or requests for features held in higher regard as opposed to Nas be in back then or even NOW.  If both Jay and Nas were to have a live concert in NYC be it 10 years ago or tomorrow for that matter, who between the two is either going to command a larger audience in NYC or command a larger venue, strictly in NYC??
Jay wasn't running anything at the time though.

I'm not talking about DMX's run or the length of it. You said '98. Stop lying to yourself champ.

I'm right here in BK where it actually went down bruh. We not buying none of that revisionist history you selling out on the west coast or wherever you at.

If u think ether is a better track than takeover then im certain your love for nas is sentimental.

Content wise is arguable but its def not a better song.

I bet u nas fans don't eem know who produced ether.

u don't huh.....google it pleiboi

H.K.L= Hustler/Street Anthem Masked by a smooth *** beat and sick sample from left field 

I know i can= A thought provoking and uplifting song with a fur Elise sample

too totally different concepts and songs, Both great both not the same
Saying "I Know I can" is great is a huge stretch my man.  "Hard Knock Life" helped set history while I Know I Can" falls into the category of here today and gone tomorrow as far as songs go.  When's the last time anybody heard or played "I Know I Can"??
Ja rule ran ny more than jay EVER could
Can you read champ?? The options were between Jay and Nas, not Ja Rule, DMX or whoever anybody else wants to throw into the mix.  Hell, I'm waiting on @ninjahood  to chime in and say that Fat Joe ran NY..........why not
laugh.gif
.  Now, try this again @nawghtyhare  who ran NY, your options are Jay and Nas, nobody else.  

If you can't read or don't understand just say that instead of jumping around the question.   I'm finding out alot about you champ and it's all bad.  First you don't pay taxes and now you can't or choose not to read thoroughly.  It's time to shape up or ship out.  I don't want anyone on NT that doesn't pay taxes, let alone can't read and or both.  
I'm right here in BK where it actually went down bruh. We not buying none of that revisionist history you selling out on the west coast or wherever you at.
I said from "'98 on", meaning even pass the year of 1998 and the comparison was between Jay and Nas.  

@sckid20  who are you trying to fool? Where do you work? What do you do, or what kind of women do you pull? What kind of friends surround you that you're this sure on your perspective?

Illmatic received five mics in Source Magazine, Reasonable Doubt was "retro'd" five mics from an ORIGINAL four. Jay-Z was so scorned that he dissed the Source on "Black Album" because at the time he thought he was retiring. This is why XXL and Elliot Wilson we're Jay-Z's go to guys post Black Album. So much so Elliot actually wrote an editors note on Jay-Z semi-consecutively gracing the cover of the publication.

...Ether was #FACTS, and the fact that you discount Ether because of its producer was "unknown" at the time TO YOU points out how much of a ....nvm.

Jay-Z is the @henz0  of Hip-Hop ...where we all know the real but just haven't pulled his card yet.

Last edited:
Im not discounting ether tho.

Just said takeover was better.

See thats the thing.
Nans in this thread are coming at me for talking about nas.
You can say anything about jay z and it doesnt bother me at all. ..ill still have the same respect for all posters.
Even you nomad.

Its kind of like ...... nvm

Just some food for thought.

ill let you do the dishes.

i like nas btw..

Im not discounting ether tho.

Just said takeover was better.

See thats the thing.
Nans in this thread are coming at me for talking about nas.
You can say anything about jay z and it doesnt bother me at all. ..ill still have the same respect for all posters.
Even you nomad.

Its kind of like ...... nvm

Just some food for thought.

ill let you do the dishes.

i like nas btw..
Based on WHAT? You're being nonchalant and NEBULOUS in your responses as if you're an authority on the matter, which is my original point in this thread. You're basing your affinity for "Takeover" on accomplishments and accolades YEARS after its release. Not lyrical content, and credibility, which should be the only judged aspects of Jay-Z vs Nas. Anything else makes you a cheerleader and aimlessly unctuous based on MEDIA HYPE.

State Property and Dipset MADE Rocafella records, #FACT.

Without their team, Jay-Z didn't have a strong enough presence or power of persuasion ...even likability to fight Nas on his own. 

Nas said " slowly loading up this ammo to explode it on a camel, and his soldiers, I can handle This for dolo"

Jay-Z needed special effects, Cam'Ron, Memphis, Beans etc...they came together on some Captain Planet **** and STILL failed at taking the throne from Nas.

The fact that you can't see that reveals a lot about your character and what you respect, even if you are just a screen name. Even ?uestlove said Jay-Z is a nerd. 

Think about that, considering how close they are.

Last edited:
Nas has a whole department dedicated to him at Harvard ...with a handpicked cosign from Henry Louis Gates.

I'm not sure how or why you didn't see my question asked directly to you, but I'll ask it again this time with your name highlighted. @Ballerific703

Hey champ, from '98 on can you tell me between the two (Jay and Nas) who was running things or who between the two was seen as a "god" moreso than the other??

Who was running things?

98 could go to either.

I remember when Vol. 1 came out and Jay had some awful commercial songs on it. People thought his career was on the way down and could be done. NaS disappeared and took a break. Jay put out Hard Knock Life which was an awful song but a desperate move to stay in the game. Turned out to be a big hit. After that Can I Get...came out and Rush Hour was huge, that's when he took off. Vol. 2 is still one of his best albums though. I would take that over anything he's done after Blueprint 1.

So you go 99-01 to Jay. Ether comes out and Jay is on the radio crying. Stillmatic is a classic and NaS is running the lyrical world and then Jay continues to sell out to make commercial music and get paid.

I bought every Jay album except for MCHG. He's talented for sure. Lyrically, I always thought NaS was better but I was always a big fan of Vol. 2, The Dynasty and The Blueprint. I only liked half of RD and half of Vol. 1. "Where I'm From" is my favorite Jay track and The Blueprint is his best album. I stopped listening to Jay when I realized his last 3-4 albums I bought were recycled content and him spewing the same BS. He had gotten lazy and sold out. Which, I'm not mad at. I would for a lot of money too. When I listen to NaS' last few releases, he's actually saying **** that as a man, you can learn from. It doesn't sound like some BS to sell singles or ringtones. He's actually teaching young men. Much respect and appreciation to NaS. Life is Good >>> anything after The Blueprint.

But my original point of bringing up who was running what and who was a god is that it's funny, people think Jay is better but Jay was the groupie. He loved Nas but Nas turned down offers to do music with him. Never understood how you can say Jay was better when he was a groupie of Nas.

I asked a direct question and you give me a round about answer and a bunch of long-winded excuses, typical of most Nas fans by the way.  Let me help you out champ since you seem not to be able to be direct.  The answer to my question is Jay back then, just as it is Jay now.

LOL @ Nas took a break, more like he fell flat on his face for a few years realising records and albums that were never mentioned or recognized again.  Also, if "Hard Knock Life" is such an awful song, how and why did it have so much success, hell you still might hear that record to this very day.  That's another thing to, if folks think Nas is better than Jay then that's their opinion, but at the end of the day be it back in '98 or even NOW to this very day within the general public you are going to hear more Jay records than Nas records.  How does that make you hardcore Nas fans feel?

In this very thread I see folks making excuses for Nas left and right, "had Nas worked with better producers, had Nas been signed to a better label early on", "if Nas cared more about money", yada yada yada.  Just excuse after excuse for Nas.  That's one thing you don't hear in reference to Jay or even some of his fans here on the board ,you don't hear excuses as it pertains to the individual artist and what they were able to do.  

At the end of the day when BOTH artists are no longer putting out music or albums actively, their music and individual music alone is what is going to carry both of them.  Not their business deals, not who they are or were married to, but their music individually as artists.  With that being said as it stands now Jay ranks superior against Nas because no matter what coast or part of this country or any other country you are in, most likely you are going to hear a Jay record over or moreso than a Nas record.  If anyone feels differently on that specific point feel free to try and explain why......good luck. 

I answered your question directly. 98 can go to either. 99 is when Vol. 2 was real big and he took off. NaS had sat back and chilled, that's a fact. His mom was sick and he was tired of the fame. This isn't breaking news or anything.

So if we're talking about who ran what, NaS ran **** from 94-98. Jay has been bigger pretty much every year since. Doesn't make him better. He's had commercial success making commercial records.

Someone also brought up DMX, my goodness he ran NY for a few years. NaS ran NY and then X ran NY. X's earlier albums were glorified and called classics from day one. While Jay had to go back and call his first album a classic and then people just followed.

I had to think for second, when people say outlandish ****, you gotta start treating them like they're applying to the American Bar Association, their character has to start being questioned. Making sure their of good upstanding character in their field. Dogs in here looking like this talking about "I respect Jay-Z's hustle, Nas lost":

I answered your question directly. 98 can go to either. 99 is when Vol. 2 was real big and he took off. NaS had sat back and chilled, that's a fact. His mom was sick and he was tired of the fame. This isn't breaking news or anything.

So if we're talking about who ran what, NaS ran **** from 94-98. Jay has been bigger pretty much every year since. Doesn't make him better. He's had commercial success making commercial records.

Someone also brought up DMX, my goodness he ran NY for a few years. NaS ran NY and then X ran NY. X's earlier albums were glorified and called classics from day one. While Jay had to go back and call his first album a classic and then people just followed.

It's funny how people give their opinion as fact :lol:

You do realize Biggie died March 9th 1997

94-98 :lol:

Nas ran ny from 94-98?

Did bad boy & wutang not exist?
King of New York were who the streets messed with, back then if the streets didn't back you, then you had to have hella security with you at all times. Nas has Queens and the whole New York behind him. Jay-Z pulled a risky move on some Boston Tea Party **** and released "The City Is Mine", trying to privy mainstream America onto the "King Of New York" significance to rap. 

Jay-Z patiently waited for what he thought was the opportune time to strike, Jay-Z had Biggie, 50 Cent and A LOT of other at his throat because he wasn't playing his position.
That's partly why he's only remained popular due to mainstream white America adopting him. Getting hugs from the cast of HBO Girls, and Paltrow singing N's from Paris.
But let TyTy ask one them women for a retweet or sit next to them back stage, he gonna get the awkward Black guy treatment until Jay let them know "he's with me".

Nas gets respect from the STREETS and from WHITE AMERICA...even with his revolutionary joints. Jay-Z conquered nothing...he's Theon Grayjoy

Bad Boy NEVER had King of New York status ...Neither did the Wu, the Wu was worldwide, but not King of anything. It wasn't their style.

King of New York were who the streets messed with, back then if the streets didn't back you, then you had to have hella security with you at all times. Nas has Queens and the whole New York behind him. Jay-Z pulled a risky move on some Boston Tea Party **** and released "The City Is Mine", trying to privy mainstream America onto the "King Of New York" significance to rap. 

Jay-Z patiently waited for what he thought was the opportune time to strike, Jay-Z had Biggie, 50 Cent and A LOT of other at his throat because he wasn't playing his position.

That's partly why he's only remained popular due to mainstream white America adopting him. Getting hugs from the cast of HBO Girls, and Paltrow singing N's from Paris.

But let TyTy ask one them women for a retweet or sit next to them back stage, he gonna get the awkward Black guy treatment until Jay let them know "he's with me".

Nas gets respect from the STREETS and from WHITE AMERICA...even with his revolutionary joints. Jay-Z conquered nothing...he's Theon Grayjoy

Bad Boy NEVER had King of New York status ...Neither did the Wu, the Wu was worldwide, but not King of anything. It wasn't their style.

White America :lol:

50 Cent's song How To Rob had nothing to do with Jay-Z or being king. Playing his position :lol:

What is being king? And why do some of you make some fictional source cover in to some WWE belt? Bad Boy had New York radio on lock for damn near a decade.

Straight comedy in this thread

I really hope some of you aren't 20 year old kids talking about what was hot back when you were four :lol:

Back
Top Bottom