Jay-Z Or Nas? Vol. Complex

White America
laugh.gif

50 Cent's song How To Rob had nothing to do with Jay-Z or being king. Playing his position
laugh.gif

What is being king? And why do some of you make some fictional source cover in to some WWE belt? Bad Boy had New York radio on lock for damn near a decade.

Straight comedy in this thread

I really hope some of you aren't 20 year old kids talking about what was hot back when you were four
laugh.gif
Bruh, I'm an 80's baby and I was REALLY there for the action and ambiance of the era. You're talking about "How To Rob" because that's the extent of your musical knowledge in the realms of Hip-Hop. I'm talking about when the STREETS and RAPPERS collided.

In the 90's 50 Cent was a MONSTER in the streets, on some real ****. A lot of rappers KNEW BETTER than to try 50, even back then Murder Inc didn't want it with 50 Cent he was too close to the streets. However, Jay-Z was ******' with Irv and them HEAVY in 98-99 when Jay-Z dropped "It's Hot".  See I'm from New York, and I can remember exclusive mixtape verses, and Hot 97 subliminal freestyles. 

King of New York was a way of saying "the streets respect me and rep me", back then radio stations was getting shot up, including Queensbridge's Capone from Capone and Noreaga getting shot beefing with Junior Mafia and Lil Kim. Spittin' off Mac-10's in front of Hot 97. Your rep in the music industry was directly tied to your rep in the streets. 

You had clubs like The Tunnel and places in Brooklyn where rappers was getting shot up and robbed because they weren't checkin' in with the streets. Even "Hip-Hop Heads" like Gangstarr and them had real beef out here. It wasn't a game back then. 50 Cent was a loose cannon, he was really robbin' cats and holdin' down blocks in Queens, he was Onxy's and a few other cats "muscle" for a minute. He had cats like Bang Em Smurf and Domination out here TEARING UP ANYTHING coming his way. It was so real back then even Lloyd Banks was shot just for being at the club when **** was poppin' off. 

But G-Whiz and Nature ALWAYS got respect along with Lake, and even Cormega ...NOBODY ****** with Queensbridge and Nas was at the head of that round table. 
Jay-Z was surviving missed three shots close range because he couldn't even hold his own as a ounce flippin' middle man in the Brooklyn Projects. And if you ever watched Murda Muzik the movie, and some doc footage Queensbridge rappers tell you they were beefing with Nas but his squad had so much juice he could park his Bentley on the block and not get tried. He even starred in their film even though they had beef, because they said Queensbridge would be NOTHING with him.

Find anybody in Brooklyn that don't like Jay-Z and still rep for him like that...I'll wait. Biggie aired him out on his own album, go back and listen to Brooklyn's Finest. Hov never checked him. Biggie came at Nas and got washed on some smooth ****. Even Wu-Tang's Ghostface and Rae came at Biggie and WON. Prodigy snuck some slick **** in on a few joints and Nas addressed it on Destroy and Rebuild. Jay-Z was a SON to all of them. Puffy and J**** wanted Nas down with the team and when he told them he's good, they plotted to get him out of there, Steve Stoute set the gears in motion. Nas was KING and they had to slob up Hot 97, Interscope, Def Jam and starve rappers until they ate at Nas's throne for a plate and he STILL has the THRONE technically. Jay-Z just has commercial success and access to connections to cosign rappers and broker deals

...I suggest you listen:

I know more than you ever know.

Schooling me on the tunnel and mixtapes :lol:

Thanks for your book of nothing and common knowledge stuff you just wrote though. I hope you didn't catch finger cramps.

If you're so old, why do you sound like a groupie?

50 was Onyx muscle?
Nas was the head of the table?

50 was a monster in the streets? :lol: Maybe you need to listen to Ghetto Quran and watch his movie a few times. Learn who Supreme was. Irv and Ja scared :lol:. Ja isn't the one who got stabbed and shot.

Nas ran **** from 94-98. If you want to give BIG some love and said he ran it, that's cool. BIG definitely had his moment but no one got the respect like Nas did after Illmatic and then "If I Ruled the World" came out. Ridiculous. Biggie and Nas had their beef and people were saying that Big was biting Nas. Puff was biting everyone at the time.

I know more than you ever know.

Schooling me on the tunnel and mixtapes :lol:

Thanks for your book of nothing and common knowledge stuff you just wrote though. I hope you didn't catch finger cramps.

If you're so old, why do you sound like a groupie?

50 was Onyx muscle?
Nas was the head of the table?

50 was a monster in the streets? :lol: Maybe you need to listen to Ghetto Quran and watch his movie a few times. Learn who Supreme was. Irv and Ja scared :lol:. Ja isn't the one who got stabbed and shot.
I remember hearing that 50 had a cameo in an onyx video so I guess they were pretty tight.
And I've heard about 50 nickname being boo cuz he used to rob drug dealers

I remember hearing that 50 had a cameo in an onyx video so I guess they were pretty tight.
And I've heard about 50 nickname being boo cuz he used to rob drug dealers

50 was in Onyx video because he was under Jam Master Jay(RIP). Remember JMJ brought Onyx to Def Jam.

His nickname was boo boo, because that was his family nickname. Funny how dudes change up stories adding to dudes auras.

50 is mos def official, but dudes are exaggerating.

This pretty much sums it up

Y'all respect the one who got shot, I respect the shooter - Jay-Z

Don't let Many Men fool you. There's a reason 50 let the feds handle Preme.

Nas ran **** from 94-98. If you want to give BIG some love and said he ran it, that's cool. BIG definitely had his moment but no one got the respect like Nas did after Illmatic and then "If I Ruled the World" came out. Ridiculous. Biggie and Nas had their beef and people were saying that Big was biting Nas. Puff was biting everyone at the time.

Dude, people were saying It Was Written was a let down from Illmatic. Because he had nowhere to go but down. Me, I thought it was still hot and better lyrically, but not production wise.

Who was Puff biting?

Because of an album cover?

Nas made "If I Ruled The World" because of Big and Puff...why else did he flip a old soul song? He did that because of the crossover appeal and **** for the ladies Bad Boy was doing. Puff turned 350lb Biggie in to a sex symbol.

Everyone from Flex to Angie to Ed Lover will tell you Puff was running New York. Bad Boy started the **** of having DJ's play the **** multiple times in the club back to back. New York does that because of Puff.

And the Bad Boy mixtapes were like crack son.

Bad Boy's street team. Popping bottles **** in New York. He totally changed up New York rap and took it out of the sewer to the dance floors.

Please son...and I'm not even going to bring up that let down which was The Firm's album.

I'm not even a fan of Puff like that, but son was killing it...everyone he touched for a decade had a fire song that was killing the clubs or airwaves...from Craig Mack to Black Rob to Loon to Carl Thomas to Faith to Total to Mase.

Last edited:
Y'all respect the one who got shot, I respect the shooter - Jay-Z

I get this line as a shot at 50, but in reality, that train of thought is weak.

Bad Boy's street team.

Had a run in with these dudes on the subway around '95 or so.

Good times.

But agreed that Bad Boy had the city on smash from 94 and on for a few years.

Nas owned the first half of 94. The build up to Illmatic was crazy. And after Halftime, a lot of people were hyped for that full project.

But later that year, Bad Boy dropped Craig Mack, BIG and the rest is history.

I think you can safely say that Nas was the most respected MC in that timeframe. Because yes, plenty of cats took shots at BIG.

For the record, I don't even think Jay put anything out til' 96. So he was catching up.

BIG and Bad Boy were going strong until he passed in '97 and into '98. Then X and Ruff Ryders rushed the door.

Last edited:

Dude, people were saying It Was Written was a let down from Illmatic. Because he had nowhere to go but down. Me, I thought it was still hot and better lyrically, but not production wise.

Who was Puff biting?

Because of an album cover?

Nas made "If I Ruled The World" because of Big and Puff...why else did he flip a old soul song? He did that because of the crossover appeal and **** for the ladies Bad Boy was doing. Puff turned 350lb Biggie in to a sex symbol.

Everyone from Flex to Angie to Ed Lover will tell you Puff was running New York. Bad Boy started the **** of having DJ's play the **** multiple times in the club back to back. New York does that because of Puff.

And the Bad Boy mixtapes were like crack son.

Bad Boy's street team. Popping bottles **** in New York. He totally changed up New York rap and took it out of the sewer to the dance floors.

Please son...and I'm not even going to bring up that let down which was The Firm's album.

I'm not even a fan of Puff like that, but son was killing it...everyone he touched for a decade had a fire song that was killing the clubs or airwaves...from Craig Mack to Black Rob to Loon to Carl Thomas to Faith to Total to Mase.

Yea from 96 all the way up til Stillmatic was dropped, that was probably the most I've ever been underwhelmed by Nas :lol: But pretty much since Stillmatic's release, I've enjoyed his music much more than Jay's.

Not that I need credit for the pic or that I posted it for credit.

Same trash can, carpet and I can't post the CDs because they were thrown away the same day that Jay Z screwed my Yankees by signing Robinson Cano. If he had a good agent, Yankees would have signed Cano months ago to an unreasonable deal instead of rolling the dice and letting Seattle get him.
Fair enough bro.  I saw this picture tweeted and retweeted by a ton of people that day.  Crazy that it turned out to be a NTer's pic.

You're famous bro!

Assuming the common belief was that Jay and Nas were exactly equal in terms of songs, albums, long term relevance, impact on music, etc.......the mere fact that Jay is an incredible live performer and Nas is absolute trash, I don't see how anyone could say that Nas > Jay.

I think Jay is slightly ahead of Nas in all those categories I listed, and when you couple that with the fact that Jay is great live and Nas sucks, this really isnt a debate for me.

Jay > Nas

(And I am a Nas fan.)

So Jay > Nas because he is a better Live performer? The man has a damn department at HARVARD dedicated to him because of his influence and creativity in the arts of music. How does Jay compare (long term impact on music as a whole) to that when his biggest commercial tracks were with Beyonce or Rihanna? If we are going to use Live performance as a measuring stick, then DMX is the greatest artist ever. I was at the Hard Knock Life Tour when I was 16, and it was by far the best musical performance I ever seen in person, still havent forgotten about it 14-15 years later.

View media item 1257818

Ya'll are something else. NT taught me Jay > Nas because Jay-Z made himself to entire brand with several satellite operations such as Roc Nation, Clubs, Samsung, ect. The only reason why Jay was able to get as big (commercially) was because he rode that Def Jam/Ruff Ryders wave in the late '90s that propelled his commercial success. Saved up lunch money to buy Vol. 1 when it was released, then people started noticing him after Vol. 2 with the Def Jam/Ruff Ryder producers.

Assuming the common belief was that Jay and Nas were exactly equal in terms of songs, albums, long term relevance, impact on music, etc.......the mere fact that Jay is an incredible live performer and Nas is absolute trash, I don't see how anyone could say that Nas > Jay.

I think Jay is slightly ahead of Nas in all those categories I listed, and when you couple that with the fact that Jay is great live and Nas sucks, this really isnt a debate for me.

Jay > Nas

(And I am a Nas fan.)

So Jay > Nas because he is a better Live performer? The man has a damn department at HARVARD dedicated to him because of his influence and creativity in the arts of music. How does Jay compare (long term impact on music as a whole) to that when his biggest commercial tracks were with Beyonce or Rihanna? If we are going to use Live performance as a measuring stick, then DMX is the greatest artist ever. I was at the Hard Knock Life Tour when I was 16, and it was by far the best musical performance I ever seen in person, still havent forgotten about it 14-15 years later.

Ya'll are something else. NT taught me Jay > Nas because Jay-Z made himself to entire brand with several satellite operations such as Roc Nation, Clubs, Samsung, ect. The only reason why Jay was able to get as big (commercially) was because he rode that Def Jam/Ruff Ryders wave in the late '90s that propelled his commercial success. Saved up lunch money to buy Vol. 1 when it was released, then people started noticing him after Vol. 2 with the Def Jam/Ruff Ryder producers.
Jesus Christ.  Reading comprehension severely lacking here.  SMH. 

Speaking of smoking crack champ, you're the same guy that said this statement below about Eminem's song "My Name Is" just yesterday.............

"This is the song that put him on the same mantle as Ready To Die, and Illmatic."
That's not a personal statement though, I was pointing out an improper transposition made by the general consensus and shared within a majority of the hip-hop community. 
I personally don't agree with it, I was just stating it.

Jesus Christ.  Reading comprehension severely lacking here.  SMH. 
Ain't it though? As you can see from the response above yours 
laugh.gif

Last edited:

Speaking of smoking crack champ, you're the same guy that said this statement below about Eminem's song "My Name Is" just yesterday.............

"This is the song that put him on the same mantle as Ready To Die, and Illmatic."
That's not a personal statement though, I was pointing out an improper transposition made by the general consensus and shared within a majority of the hip-hop community. 
I personally don't agree with it, I was just stating it.
Hey no need to apologize or try to sidestep your position champ, if that's how you feel that's how you feel. If you really felt that was "the general consensus and shared within a majority of the hip-hop community" and not you personally then you should have stated that as such from the beginning.  

Since you did not, as it stands myself and others are just going to have to believe that is a personal sentiment given by you on the situation.  That being said even though you have only been here 1 month congratulations champ, your name is now in the big lights as seen below................hope you like it.

Asinine Statement of the Month:  "This is the song that put him on the same mantle as Ready To Die, and Illmatic.".....given by @John Hancock  in reference to Eminem's song My Name Is

Back
Top Bottom