Jobless and Frustrated NTers check in VOL. WE NOT-WORKIN!!!

Is it easiier get a job when your currently working ?

I'd say yeah. I had a 2 week break for the holidays and was like **** that job. Came back chopped it up with my boss, told him I was thinking about quitting, he talked me out of and reiterated it was easier to get another job when you're employed. Networking for my new job, while on my current job
smokin.gif
Sure doesnt feel like it.

Trust, me I'm with you on that. But my issue has been action. Simply, turning my wheels and doing things to get the new job.

I talked with my boss again today and this ***** forced me to write an action plan. I wrote about transitioning from the industry I'm in now and into my desired industry. I basically gave him an outline of 3 "areas" in my desired industry, my ideal starting position, and how I would try to get on. He gave me some advice, told me how I should rework it and gave me some life advice too.

So for everybody lookin for a job I'd say write down some goals, and if possible get somebody to keep you accountable. Somebody to make sure you're reaching certain benchmarks. Most importantly, make sure it's someone you trust and are comfortable with.

We get tunnel vision focusing on the gig we want and we turn down opportunites or don't seek opportunites that could lead us to where we want to be. My boss told me about how he had a good gig in the early 2000s, making about 40K, he said he quit and had to end up working at Barnes and Noble. He had to check his ego to take the lesser paying job, but by doing that it led to him meeting somebody that helped into his next gig which ended up netting him 100k.

Now dude is making 6 figures and he took the scenic route, but the point he reiterated to me was he checked his ego and tapped into the connections he had. Sometimes if you put yourself in uncomfortable situations, you wind up learning skills that will help you down the real and come in contact with people that can get you to the next spot. If you're religious, you call it God. Non-religious, like myself, "just the way of the universe." :lol:

I was sitting there thinking it hasn't really applied to me, but he pointed out me taking this gig in accounting was me putting myself in an uncomfortable spot, and I didn't eem realize it.

I'll be forward with yall, I'm only 2 yrs out of school, still tyring to find my way and forge my path, but conversing with people older than me has really opened my eyes to how things work and how we can set ourselves up for just a regular gig to survive day to day, or the dream career job.

I hope that got the wheels turning in the minds of anybody reading

yea networking is huge. started working at my current job for over a week before getting interviewed or even meeting my supervisor, my homeboy hooked it up. had another job before that from going to a clipper game :smile:x) with my sister and her coworker, chopped it up with her coworker's husband and he hooked me up with an interview. and I used to mess with this chick that had a connect that could plug you in with a government job, no questions asked.

when I was sending out 20+ resumes a day all I got was scam job offers or stuff like starbucks and insurance sales. trust me bros, there was a time where things were looking bleak. keep the faith and like roc said, just network as much as you can

Recent college grad (communication major)..Moved back home to NYC and Ive been home for a week with no job. Sent my resume to a couple media outlets and waiting for something. Even applied to a couple retail stores and still haven't heard anything. Being unemployed is one of the worst feelings.

I did' Made in America, beyonce, led zep, jay z, wwe, PGA tour, ect. Last year. ( my first year ) I really am considering this as my career path.

Since I haven't worked a concert since November, I applied for unemployment. I got a Mac card, and I claim every week, buti won't see nuttin till I do a monetary interview on January 28th. I been thuggin out trying to wait for that date. The good thing is, if I get accepted I get all those weeks all at once.

Can anybody give me some info on the monetary interview? What questions do they ask? What should I avoid saying? Should I have every pay stub I have infront of me when they call? Any help is much appreciated.

Monetary interview in a week, Idont wanna sound nervous' after all it's like 2 gs I really need til work picks up

Not unemployed. But, thought I'd come in here to drop a few things that helped me. When I got out of college I worked for Enterprise Renta car (worst job you could imagine) for a year. I worked there because like most grads you need a job. I absolutely hated the job (10-12hr days) terrible pay and washing cars when need be in dress clothes. I hated it so much it would affect my personal life and I was just miserable. From the moment I got there I was blind applying (applying to every job on the net). And I rarely got called for interviews or any response.

After 6 months there I realized in this day and age you have to do something different and you can't just send a resume in. So, I started talking to every single customer or person that would come into our door. All conversations would eventually lead tome asking where they work/what they do. If I was interested I would show my genuine interest when talking to them exchange numbers/emails/business cards. After a couple months of that I had two opportunities neither I was fond of but it was a way out and was a sign networking was working. Then one day one of my connections I made months earlier told me there was an opening in IT at his company. He sent over my resume to HR and I got hired a week later. It's a dream company best place and environment I've ever been in.

The purpose of my story is to network! And I don't mean the standard networking at job functions, career fairs. I mean networking by literally talking to as many people as you can you never know what connection will come through for you even if its months and months later. These days you have to know someone to get your foot in the door.

Good luck to all those still searching.
This is good advice.  Conversation in itself is great... because it helps builds confidences esp if you're an introvert or just not a big talker.

I go to the mall all the time to shop and have random conversation with everyone... and it's not necessarily about work related or job related... just conversation.

I also call my friends up all the time... forget facebook and get your friends number and call them and talk about life, love, work, etc... when the conversation leads to work and you tell them about your situation... you never know who they may know. But don't complaint about life... your friends don't wanna hear that crap... instead, do most of the listening if you can.  They'll remember you more versus their regular facebook friends when an opportunity comes along.

The ability to influence people is powerful too... you can develop this with your actions and words. I can be a sneaky lil bastard sometimes.  I love pushing buttons and getting what I want at work... but all this is because I'm a decent conversationalist.

Two police tests over the course of the next week && a half...:pimp:

Stay up fellas. Breakthroughs are coming.

had an interview at the brain immunology department @ the university............didnt go so well. he cited the techniques that they use are something that im probably not used to. i guess he aint have time to train me. he also said something about my hands. i guess he was tryin to say that i would need very steady hands for the procedures that they use

if i had to do surgery they probably aint want me slicing up the wrong part. which is cool

but he recommended me to a guy in the psych department instead. cuz they do similar stuff their too

i had another interview with the psych department and it went very well. ol boy is suppose to holla @ me by the end of the week.

the only diffrence between the two labs is that the brain immuno lab focused more on a single brain cell as oppose to the psych lab which focuses how cells effect entire regions of the brain

yo if i dont get that psych dept job iono eem know what ima do.

OT, ima Jr Writer fan, but them two tracks he released today are GARBAGE!!! cant wait for Oxymoron tho.

Last edited:
Got an interview tomorrow for a software engineer job (graduate).

Trying to find places to brush up on my technical skills, forgot a lot of things since graduating in November.

Wish me luck NT

Does anyone here have a "interests" section of their resume? Did it do anything for you?

Like hobbies and stuff? Nah... Resume should show what you can contribute to the company in terms of professional skills and experience. Save the long walks in the park and occassioanal Broadway show for the interview if it comes up. If you have a hobby that utilizes s a skill for the job then bring it up.

Does anyone here have a "interests" section of their resume? Did it do anything for you?
No. Your resume space doesn't have enough room for that. Keep it professional. If you're asked in the interview what are your interests, then bring it up.

Came in to say I finally landed a Job in my field (Marketing). Thanks to everyone in this thread for the advice (I mainly lurked). My first day was Monday and so far the job has been fun. 15 min to work, 20 min drive back (that's almost impossible in LA :lol: )

Anyway, I'm not posting this to gloat, I'm posting it to keep you guys motivated. I graduated in May of 2012 and it took me damn near two years to find a "real" job. Felt so good to quit my **** job :lol:

Came in to say I finally landed a Job in my field (Marketing). Thanks to everyone in this thread for the advice (I mainly lurked). My first day was Monday and so far the job has been fun. 15 min to work, 20 min drive back (that's almost impossible in LA :lol: )

Anyway, I'm not posting this to gloat, I'm posting it to keep you guys motivated. I graduated in May of 2012 and it took me damn near two years to find a "real" job. Felt so good to quit my **** job :lol:
Congrats fam, what were you doing before and how did you get this job?

Congrats my dude. :nthat:

Not unemployed. But, thought I'd come in here to drop a few things that helped me. When I got out of college I worked for Enterprise Renta car (worst job you could imagine) for a year. I worked there because like most grads you need a job. I absolutely hated the job (10-12hr days) terrible pay and washing cars when need be in dress clothes. I hated it so much it would affect my personal life and I was just miserable. From the moment I got there I was blind applying (applying to every job on the net). And I rarely got called for interviews or any response.

After 6 months there I realized in this day and age you have to do something different and you can't just send a resume in. So, I started talking to every single customer or person that would come into our door. All conversations would eventually lead tome asking where they work/what they do. If I was interested I would show my genuine interest when talking to them exchange numbers/emails/business cards. After a couple months of that I had two opportunities neither I was fond of but it was a way out and was a sign networking was working. Then one day one of my connections I made months earlier told me there was an opening in IT at his company. He sent over my resume to HR and I got hired a week later. It's a dream company best place and environment I've ever been in.

The purpose of my story is to network! And I don't mean the standard networking at job functions, career fairs. I mean networking by literally talking to as many people as you can you never know what connection will come through for you even if its months and months later. These days you have to know someone to get your foot in the door.

Good luck to all those still searching.
Cosign on this networking tip

especially if your in retail just being friendly and getting to know your customer

opens many doors never know who youre ganna meet

No problem brother!

So where do you stand during the process? What do you have left?

Well I took the written portion of the first test last weekend, waiting on official notice that I passed (even though I know I did, it was super easy). By tomorrow I'll likely know when I'll be taking the agility part of the test. Honestly think I'll get one of the 5 open spots with this one.

The second test is tomorrow, with us taking the written immediately followed by the agility (gotta pass the written to get to part two). But current circumstances got me thinking about re-applying for this one..the hardest part about this one is just getting all the prerequisites done && actually getting to the test site tomorrow. Just got a feeling the timing isn't right for me at the moment.

I think it depends on what the interest is. If it is an accomplishment I think it def should go on your resume. One of my best friends is an eagle scout and climbed Mt. Kilimanjaro and put both on his resume. It def shows his persistance and has always been a good conversation starter during interviews. 

But if you interests are video games, yambs etc. you should leave it off.

So I'm about to apply at this job for an app company. My friend just got started there but he had one of his friends vouch for him.

Anyways, the job is for exactly what I already do online. My resume is exactly what they are looking for, but there is one semi-major thing I'm missing.

They want me to be addicted to social networking. I don't really use facebook and I'm not on Twitter.

So if I made a twitter and got a couple hundred followers do you think that would be enough? What's a quick way to get followers?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

That's tough right there :lol:

I've always been the type to go the honest route, but the thing you're missing in their requirements is pretty noticeable. Since you're already on Facebook, I'd say increase your activity on there. Create a Twitter and tell the prospective employer, you're [insert some social media savvy phrase] regarding Facebook and Twitter. Also put #NT in your Twitter bio and follow a ton of NTers who've posted their screenames in that thread.

Congrats fam, what were you doing before and how did you get this job?

I interned for the Clippers for the the last two seasons before this one. I was also working at Uhaul for the last two years.

I found the job on either Indeed or Simplyhired.com. I actually sent out like 5 resumes out on Christmas and they were the first to call me back. I interviewed with the HR lady and then had a second interview the following week with the VP of Sales. So far I'm enjoying the job. No dress code or anything. I showed up wearing Vans, Jeans and a Hoody today :lol: :pimp:

The main thing that I learned in this thread is to not limit yourself to specific jobs. Once I started applying to other positions that weren't directly related to Marketing I was seeing way more results.

Hope to see more NTers with success stoires in here :pimp:

No problem brother!

So where do you stand during the process? What do you have left?

Well I took the written portion of the first test last weekend, waiting on official notice that I passed (even though I know I did, it was super easy). By tomorrow I'll likely know when I'll be taking the agility part of the test. Honestly think I'll get one of the 5 open spots with this one.

The second test is tomorrow, with us taking the written immediately followed by the agility (gotta pass the written to get to part two). But current circumstances got me thinking about re-applying for this one..the hardest part about this one is just getting all the prerequisites done && actually getting to the test site tomorrow. Just got a feeling the timing isn't right for me at the moment.

That's good... trust, apply for every department if you have to.

I don't know how it is where you're at. But here in Vegas, it's pretty intense. You have to go through/pass written, then physical, then oral board, then psych eval test, followed by polygraph, then a thorough back ground investigation, then medical exam... keep in mind, it goes by ranking. If you aren't rank high enough, you don't make it, even if you passed everything.

Which is why I suggest to apply for every department!

Got an interview with the police Tuesday anybody got any tips as far as what to expect for their hiring process?

Back
Top Bottom