Jobless and Frustrated NTers check in VOL. WE NOT-WORKIN!!!

Hey NTers, New Zealander here. Going to complete my degree in Compsci and Psychology by the end of the year at the best university in New Zealand.

Always wanted to move to the States since I was little. Any advice on where to start to get a job offer from somewhere in the States straight from New Zealand? I know chances are slim, but it's worth a shot since I know things like this have happened before. Thing is I'm not too sure where to start out. Most recruiting sites I know are for jobs in New Zealand.

Advice would be greatly appreciated guys

silicone valley aka northern california would be a great place for u since u studied comp sci.

out of the 14 jobs i applied for in the past 3 weeks, i've only heard back from footlocker, i don't fit the team i guess 
grin.gif

out of the 14 jobs i applied for in the past 3 weeks, i've only heard back from footlocker, i don't fit the team i guess 
grin.gif

Don't feel to bad I filled out 88 apps with halliburton alone over the span of 5 weeks before I got the call . Funny thing is once you get the ball rolling with footlocker the other jobs are gonna start calling always happens like that

If you're in the LA (south bay, speficily carson) area, after my 30 days I can refer people and its a guaranteed interview. You do have to have at least a little warehouse experience. The company is great. You do have to walk a lot Tho (my pedometer says its about 10 miles/day)

But if you're interested I will help you. But please be serious. and yeah its entry level so dont expect a crazy wage. but they start you at more than minimum

It's funny that once i get a job, the calls come in for offers. I told those guys "No thank, I am currently working but I may know somebody that fits the description". :lol:

So to whoever lives in South Florida that has reasonable IT experience (it's all desktop/helpdesk positions) PM me and I'll be more than happy to fwd you the description :pimp:

Anyone work in the oil field? My friend wants to try applying tomorrow. 17 plus an hour, two weeks on two weeks off, 12 hour shifts.. Brutal work, but the pay checks seem worth it..

Anyone work in the oil field? My friend wants to try applying tomorrow. 17 plus an hour, two weeks on two weeks off, 12 hour shifts.. Brutal work, but the pay checks seem worth it..

I work int field easy money I get paid 1700 a week to turn a knob for 3 hours a day , drive a truck , or change pumps the hardest days are literally training. Also he needs to make sure he gets paid for those 2 weeks off , halliburton has the lowest wages in field but they take care of their people we get paid 54 hours for our weeks off and atleast get paid 10 hours a day if we can't work. What company and what location is he trying to get on with ?

How bout we trade, sir?? You take the good o'l US and I go down to NZ for the rest of our lives..

On the real tho, I want to do a working holiday down under. How's it for Americans getting jobs in NZ or AUS?

Deal!

I'd say it's not too hard, depends on what kind of job you're after, but I think it'll be easier to get a job in Australia. Lot more jobs there, higher paying and exchange rate is better. Especially those mines in Aussie, I heard the money is crazy since they're usually in boring and dead towns.

I heard the mining jobs in west Australia are legit 100k+ out the gate.. I could pay off my credit cards, travel and stack enough for grad school..

I work int field easy money I get paid 1700 a week to turn a knob for 3 hours a day , drive a truck , or change pumps the hardest days are literally training. Also he needs to make sure he gets paid for those 2 weeks off , halliburton has the lowest wages in field but they take care of their people we get paid 54 hours for our weeks off and atleast get paid 10 hours a day if we can't work. What company and what location is he trying to get on with ?
Both me and my friend are trying to work in the field for at least a year, and cash out.

Wow, you get paid during those two weeks you don't even work?

My friend Kenny is working for a company named Schlumberger, and hes been doing it for about half a year now, not sure where his location is, but I'm going to connect with him tomorrow and get some information from him. But my friend and I both live in Mid south Texas(San Antonio) so the commute would be to Odessa, TX which is west from us, not sure if its the same company my friends working for, but were going to find out more info tomorrow.

I also have two friends doing shale fracking south of me, they were trying to get me to do that. But there's requires a training course which cost about 3k, before you can start working.

Both me and my friend are trying to work in the field for at least a year, and cash out.

Wow, you get paid during those two weeks you don't even work?

My friend Kenny is working for a company named Schlumberger, and hes been doing it for about half a year now, not sure where his location is, but I'm going to connect with him tomorrow and get some information from him. But my friend and I both live in Mid south Texas(San Antonio) so the commute would be to Odessa, TX which is west from us, not sure if its the same company my friends working for, but were going to find out more info tomorrow.

I also have two friends doing shale fracking south of me, they were trying to get me to do that. But there's requires a training course which cost about 3k, before you can start working.

Bruh I'm in San Antonio now , sequin to be exact the oil ain't going no where for a while in Texas. It's 3 major players in the field halliburton which owns 54% of the market, baker Hughes , and slumberger. And you have your mid companies like trican, sanjel, and others . The mid companies pay more but the work dries up faster do to contracts so you might make 9 k one month and 2 k the next with the bigger ones they pay less but you can turn those into a career and set yourself up for life with a few key moves. But it like this my dad works for dhs at hartsfeild and makes 110 after taxes and he still regrets leaving halliburton to this day

Bruh I'm in San Antonio now , sequin to be exact the oil ain't going no where for a while in Texas. It's 3 major players in the field halliburton which owns 54% of the market, baker Hughes , and slumberger. And you have your mid companies like trican, sanjel, and others . The mid companies pay more but the work dries up faster do to contracts so you might make 9 k one month and 2 k the next with the bigger ones they pay less but you can turn those into a career and set yourself up for life with a few key moves. But it like this my dad works for dhs at hartsfeild and makes 110 after taxes and he still regrets leaving halliburton to this day
Well that paints a nice picture. your dads pissed about that oil money he could be making.. lol

If we hop in now, what do you think we'd start out doing as a job? Speaking on your location or the one my friend works at.

How long have you been doing it?

Since June , they'll probally start you out in frac and it depends what company you get on with for pay. It could be any where from 13-18 an hour . For me I get 13.50 ( but get a 1 raise after 90 days) plus per diem a day and bonuses also along with stock and mad discounts on almost everything you can thing of . You'll probally be working in south Texas or Texas pandhandle . I like it so far but I'm a single guy with no kids or any other obligations my plan is to work in another country with Halliburton so I'm in it for the long haul.

Do it... I worked for Marathon Oil during high school and wish I didn't walk away for college ... I would easily be making 60 to 80 K right now or more... And had my education paid but I'm doing better now... I'm at Nordstrom now... I'm moving to a different dept next week and got a $2 raise to 16... I' ll work this new dept for a year or 1.5 and be a mgr and have a rack or full line store and be making around 50 to 60K.... Then I got my eyes set on Seattle!!!!!

Do it... I worked for Marathon Oil during high school and wish I didn't walk away for college ... I would easily be making 60 to 80 K right now or more... And had my education paid but I'm doing better now... I'm at Nordstrom now... I'm moving to a different dept next week and got a $2 raise to 16... I' ll work this new dept for a year or 1.5 and be a mgr and have a rack or full line store and be making around 50 to 60K.... Then I got my eyes set on Seattle!!!!!

Glad you got something to shake I didn't forget about you and others asking to be put on where I'm at just waiting till August first when the San Antonio yard officially opens

Since June , they'll probally start you out in frac and it depends what company you get on with for pay. It could be any where from 13-18 an hour . For me I get 13.50 ( but get a 1 raise after 90 days) plus per diem a day and bonuses also along with stock and mad discounts on almost everything you can thing of . You'll probally be working in south Texas or Texas pandhandle . I like it so far but I'm a single guy with no kids or any other obligations my plan is to work in another country with Halliburton so I'm in it for the long haul.
Whats the best way to apply for your site?

Cool, i applied to five different sites yesterday. Me and my friend are really trying to get in.

Cool, i applied to five different sites yesterday. Me and my friend are really trying to get in.
damb if you applied to halliburton you could of put me down as refernce and gave me your name so ive could of gotten the app pulled 

rejection email from a company i interviewed with for a logistics/operations position. thought i really had this job locked down, since i went in on thursday to speak with the hiring manager again, and he said that it was looking good and he only had a couple more interviews to go on friday. opened up my email on sat morning and basically started my weekend off in a sh.... way. after all his interviews, i got beat out by someone with experience (even though, the job was entry level).

what's the point of entry level, when they are filling it with experienced candidates who are willing to work for less. pretty frustrating

got a phone interview lined up on monday, hopefully, my luck turns. need me a full-time position

Hey NT... Tell me what you think

I have a interview coming up with a company who is pretty anal about background checks ( they  use a - check i've heard). The gig is for sales in a mobile telecomm. company. My background situation consists of:

- Associate's Degree completed

- Incomplete Bachelor degree ( communication studies) (resume states this) and placed on academic suspension ( keeping this low - key)

- 2.4 - 2.5 college GPA (not stated)

- Several traffic citations  and a bench warrant in my home state ( im in a different state now)

- Sub - par credit score

- Claimed to work for my school via work / study a whole academic year on resume , but it was just a semester(left after fall semester due to grades)

-  Spent a couple of months working at target and did not place this job on resume ( my plan has been to go with the former fabrication regarding the school job experience)

- Extended my job experience on resume for the other job experience ( i've been in college so realistically my true job experience is spotty)

My goal is to get a gig, pay my tickets, get a new car ( sold old car out of need), and save $ to go back to my home state and finish college. I hate being jammed up because of these bad circumstances.

I'm think i'll just go through with this interview  for the hell of it.

My question is, are all hiring processes for a 25k + jobs like this?

How do I get a real job ( no high school/ college minimum wage) with this background?

Got a rejection notification for a Supervising Probation Officer job in San Francisco. Was kind of a shot in the dark. I'm still >:

Need a job with some excitement/versatility. Getting really sick of sitting in front of a computer screen all damn day.

went in for an interview yesterday for an accounting/bookkeeping position. i was a business/marketing major but i have little actual experience in acct but stated i did some in my previous job. the hiring manager asked me how much i know and how quickly i can pick up things. in the end, he liked my background and everything but was concerned about whether or not i was gonna enjoy doing acct and my lack of exp, even though i said i was interested.

sent my thank you letter and now it is a waiting gm >D

Hey NT... Tell me what you think

I have a interview coming up with a company who is pretty anal about background checks ( they  use a - check i've heard). The gig is for sales in a mobile telecomm. company. My background situation consists of:

- Associate's Degree completed
- Incomplete Bachelor degree ( communication studies) (resume states this) and placed on academic suspension ( keeping this low - key)
- 2.4 - 2.5 college GPA (not stated)
- Several traffic citations  and a bench warrant in my home state ( im in a different state now)
- Sub - par credit score
- Claimed to work for my school via work / study a whole academic year on resume , but it was just a semester(left after fall semester due to grades)
-  Spent a couple of months working at target and did not place this job on resume ( my plan has been to go with the former fabrication regarding the school job experience)
- Extended my job experience on resume for the other job experience ( i've been in college so realistically my true job experience is spotty)

My goal is to get a gig, pay my tickets, get a new car ( sold old car out of need), and save $ to go back to my home state and finish college. I hate being jammed up because of these bad circumstances.

I'm think i'll just go through with this interview  for the hell of it.

My question is, are all hiring processes for a 25k + jobs like this?
How do I get a real job ( no high school/ college minimum wage) with this background?

Umm honestly,
-the incomplete bachelor degree w/ low gpa shouldnt matter as much. I bs'ed in college until my last year and a half and managed to graduate with a 2.7. Unless you're going for a high profile job, I dont think they look at gpa's like that

-Ive had tons of tickets and still got hired. Now you might want to get that bench warrant cleared up. If you let the judge know your situation, they should be able to put you on a payment plan or something

-My credit score sucks lol.

-They could find out this part pretty easily. I would just be honest about the work study part

-Why lie about putting Target on there? Its a honest job and depends on how long you were there, it shows you just werent floating around from job to job

Basically just remember that you have to start out somewhere. I graduated college with a BS and got a cable guy job out of college. I know I was more qualified but it at least gave me experience after college. Then I went to document processing job where I totally knew I was over qualified for. After that, I got hired by Apple. It was only part time and was a downgrade in pay but I knew working there would pay off. I finally got put on full time about 6months later. And actually on wednesday I just got promoted :smokin:smokin

You dont want to spend so much time wasting your time cause it sounds like that could be what youre setting yourself up for. Be honest with your resume. What if they hire you but 2-3 months in they find out you lied and fire you? Now youre back in that same situation. Most decent jobs will run these type of background checks. Have you tried going to a temp agency? They can hook you up with jobs until one actually wants to hire you for long term

Try going back to school. Even if its a local technical school. APply for loans. That might be your best bet. And remember the work industry has a lot to do with who you know. Holla at friends.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom