Jordan Retro 1 High “Laser” aka Custom Lasers Thread

Finally finished. Will post more pics with a DSLR tomorrow in the sunlight. They came out glossy on my note 4's camera but it definitely has a more matte finish in person. Used very light coat of angelus matte finisher that made it a tiny bit glossier and then used krylon matte finisher. Overall, it was a fun week doing my first custom. Most annoying thing was definitely dying the soles. I still have to go back and fix my heel cup a bit because it dented from heating and the sock liner faded a bit after heat setting the GAC 900, but I'm not sure if I want to go back and put another layer. Maybe if it gets any lighter than it already is. As for the logo, using a detailed brush wasn't that hard. Definitely need a steady hand though. As for laces, I went and ordered black waxed laces with gold metal aglets.

Last edited:
Nice work @Jayocampo  they look great 
glasses.gif

And Black and Gold Lasers would be dope asf 
smokin.gif

Last edited:
Jeez I just looked at some of the customs on ebay and they're either super lazy and kept a lot of the lining and shoe lace holes white, or didn't even bother wiping off excess dye on the soles. Even the edges of the leather weren't fully painted on some. Also, only one custom I saw was matte. Rest were glossy as hell.

Krylon Matte finisher definitely did the trick. :smokin

Thanks to those that suggested it. Very pleased with the results.

Wore my frags walking a lot through Oakland. Some of the dye did come off on the heel. I did 4 coats of dye and sprayed matted finish on the soles as well. Not a biggie for me.

Also one thing I noticed the white toe part picks up a lot of dirt. It might be because of the overspray from the jetliner matte finish not sure though. Anyone experience that before?

http://s240.photobucket.com/user/kv...F-4863-8B72-9831A5ED423C_zpsmmbum2ax.jpg.html

kvn kvn I have. Noticed it yesterday after I wore my pair on Saturday night. I've been having a tough time trying to wipe it off.

Yea it feels sticky or something right? I'm thinking of stripping it and repainting it white

Yea it feels sticky or something right? I'm thinking of stripping it and repainting it white

Yep. The finisher left a sticky residue on the toe boxes. Just tried cleaning it again and it won't come off. Repainting it might be the best option.

Last edited:
finally started my royal custom, got my blue down and black dye before i paint the rest
When you say dye, did you use leather dye as a prep or a water paint mix? My test pair should be here next week and I'll be starting them soon. Doing a test pair first before I do my own.

When you say dye, did you use leather dye as a prep or a water paint mix? My test pair should be here next week and I'll be starting them soon. Doing a test pair first before I do my own.
Just use acrylic paint. It will bind to the leather after you let it dry for a while. I tried scratching off the paint before I put the finisher and nothing came off.

yeah black leather dye first. try to avoid water/paint mixes, angelus is water based you dont wanna thin it out too much. good luck and post some progress pics

Back
Top Bottom