keeping stuff from past relationships?

I'm dealing with a similar situation myself. Just got engaged this past weekend, and I found myself feeling awkward when I looked in the closet and saw my DS Columbia XIs from 2001; that my only other serious girlfriend gave way back when. I didn't keep them b/c of her, I kept them because that's one of my favorite all-time shoes. I hate to part with the shoes, but I don't feel right about having them either. I honestly would just like to trade them for something, I know that probably doesn't make much sense b/c indirectly whatever I get in return would still be from Ol' girl but I'd feel better with that.

I think this whole matter is individual based. If you're good with keeping something then keep it. I personally would feel weird if I knew my girl was keeping things regardless of sentimental value from her previous relationships, I know that's her past and history and helped make her who she is, and the girl that I care for now, but I don't want that stuff laying around the house, and as a result to keep things fair I don't intend to have things girls have given me laying around.

I'm dealing with a similar situation myself. Just got engaged this past weekend, and I found myself feeling awkward when I looked in the closet and saw my DS Columbia XIs from 2001; that my only other serious girlfriend gave way back when. I didn't keep them b/c of her, I kept them because that's one of my favorite all-time shoes. I hate to part with the shoes, but I don't feel right about having them either. I honestly would just like to trade them for something, I know that probably doesn't make much sense b/c indirectly whatever I get in return would still be from Ol' girl but I'd feel better with that.

I think this whole matter is individual based. If you're good with keeping something then keep it. I personally would feel weird if I knew my girl was keeping things regardless of sentimental value from her previous relationships, I know that's her past and history and helped make her who she is, and the girl that I care for now, but I don't want that stuff laying around the house, and as a result to keep things fair I don't intend to have things girls have given me laying around.

I have a box in my closet full of pictures, a build a bear one of my exxes gave me and some random $+*!.. It came up in a conversation I was having with my girl and she got hella bothered by it.

I have a box in my closet full of pictures, a build a bear one of my exxes gave me and some random $+*!.. It came up in a conversation I was having with my girl and she got hella bothered by it.

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

utilitarian? - kept
sentimental? - gone
yea, what you said
tongue.gif

I have some clothes that my ex bought me...most of them I just sleep in...but I don't see anything wrong with that...I gave the ring my ex gave me to my sister tho...that was sentimental...but my fiance still carries the wallet his ex bought him and sometimes it bothers me...I know its like a double standard...but I offered to buy a new one...and he declined...maybe I'm just tripping tho...
grin.gif

I have some clothes that my ex bought me...most of them I just sleep in...but I don't see anything wrong with that...I gave the ring my ex gave me to my sister tho...that was sentimental...but my fiance still carries the wallet his ex bought him and sometimes it bothers me...I know its like a double standard...but I offered to buy a new one...and he declined...maybe I'm just tripping tho...
grin.gif

This thread makes me want to throw away some junk. Though, I can't remember if I already did..

But if it's stuff from certain points in your life like prom pics and souvenirs from places traveled then keep those.

Stuffed animals and 1-12 month anniversary cards with ILY's written in every sentence. THROW AWAY!

This thread makes me want to throw away some junk. Though, I can't remember if I already did..

But if it's stuff from certain points in your life like prom pics and souvenirs from places traveled then keep those.

Stuffed animals and 1-12 month anniversary cards with ILY's written in every sentence. THROW AWAY!

Back
Top Bottom