Kobe advises '12 team would beat Dream Team

The game of basketball has changed. The level of talent back then and now has changed too. Greece and the Bronze quest was proof of it. The gap between the USA and world narrowed, but I will agree that the 92 team was pure talent, because it was an era of big men. Is it such a fascination why teams invest so much in big men? It's because they are rare and don't come by often.

However, they are not invincible and it is very possible that the 2012 team can beat the Dream Team. But in terms of consistant winning, the 92 Dream Team would beat the 2012 team more often than not.

The reason being is that the 2012 roster is filled w/ injuries and plagued by a lack of big men. Granted, the style of play has changed a lot now, much like talent availability. As some have said, the 2012 squad have better wing men.

I'm sure that if INTERNATIONAL COMPETITION BACK THEN was as good as it is now, the make up of the 1992 Dream Team would be diff't.

92 has the matchup advantage at the 1, 2, 4 and 5. The only positions that 2012 is superior in is the 3 with Lebron and Durant. You don't need athleticism at the one. Look at over the years, Tony Parker was probably the most athletic PG to win a championship in recent memory. You have Chalmers, an old J Kidd, DFish, and Rondo. Athleticism at the 1 spot is way overrated.

The 2012 team could steal a game in a 7 game series but I don't think they could win 4 games.

To be honest, they'd have a hard time beating the 1996 team in a series, too. Shaq, David, Hakeem, Grant, Scottie, GP, Reggie.

laugh.gif
at MJ's rebuttal. Damn.

Originally Posted by solarius49

Originally Posted by iLLoQuent aka DSK

Y'all read everything Money said though? Dude will forever be thee ultimate @+@ hole.

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Michael Jordan said there's no way Kobe Bryant and this year's USA Olympic basketball team could've beaten the 1992 Dream Team.
Jordan told The Associated Press Thursday that he laughed -- "I absolutely laughed" -- when hearing Bryant's comments that the U.S. squad training in Las Vegas could take Jordan and company.

Jordan said there's "no comparison" which team is better.

"For him to compare those two teams is not one of the smarter things he ever could have done," Jordan said prior to playing in a celebrity golf tournament in Charlotte.

Jordan said the 1992 team, which included 11 future Hall of Famers and won its six Olympic games by an average of more than 43 points en route to capturing the gold medal, was a better overall team largely because of the experience it put on the floor.

"I heard Kobe say we were not athletic," said a smiling Jordan as he sat in a golf cart puffing on his cigar while waiting to tee off. "But we were smart. He said we were too old, but I was 29 and in the prime of my career. Pip (Scottie Pippen) was 26 or 27, (Charles) Barkley was 29, Patrick (Ewing) was 29 and Chris Mullin was 29. Almost everybody was still in their 20s."

Jordan's response came after Bryant told reporters in Las Vegas that this year's team could pull out a win against the Dream Team if they faced each other in their primes. Bryant said this year's team has a "bunch of racehorses, players who are incredibly athletic, while the Dream Team consisted mainly of players at the tail end of their careers."
Bryant's comments received immediate and sharp rebuttal from some members of the Dream Team, including Barkley.
Jordan joined in on Thursday.

"Most of us were in the prime of our careers, at a point where athleticism doesn't really matter," said Jordan, the owner of the Charlotte Bobcats. "You have to know how to play the game."

Jordan shook his head when asked why he thinks Bryant made the comments.

"I imagine he's trying to say it to legitimize his own Dream Team," Jordan said. "But to me it's not even a question what team is better."

Jordan said Bryant is certainly entitled to his opinion -- even though he said it's just plain wrong.

"For him to make that comparison, it's one of those things where it creates conversation," Jordan said. "I guess we'll never know. I'd like to think that we had 11 Hall of Famers on that team, and whenever they get 11 Hall of Famers, you call and ask me who had the better Dream Team. Remember now, they learned from us. We didn't learn from them."

Link
sheesh MJ, tell em how you really feel

laugh.gif
pimp.gif
  $

Originally Posted by RunningFishy

just because barkley has an attitude, gets into fights, doesn't mean he's talented.  the same can be said about ron artest. peeps forget he was a mini-beast back in indiana. 
Comments like this lead me to believe that you are 15 years old.  "Doesnt mean he's talented."  LOL

Originally Posted by AG 47

You do know that scrimmage was "thrown" on purpose right??

That's not the version I heard. Care to elaborate?

Coach K said it it during the documentary. Chuck Daley didn't make many adjustments, had weird line ups out there, and didn't play Mike that much.  He did it to prove a point, to show them they could lose... To get them to buy in. It worked. He didn't have to call a single time out the entire Olympics.

Originally Posted by Stillmatic23

92 has the matchup advantage at the 1, 2, 4 and 5. The only positions that 2012 is superior in is the 3 with Lebron and Durant. You don't need athleticism at the one. Look at over the years, Tony Parker was probably the most athletic PG to win a championship in recent memory. You have Chalmers, an old J Kidd, DFish, and Rondo. Athleticism at the 1 spot is way overrated.

The 2012 team could steal a game in a 7 game series but I don't think they could win 4 games.

To be honest, they'd have a hard time beating the 1996 team in a series, too. Shaq, David, Hakeem, Grant, Scottie, GP, Reggie.

People don't understand the shift in basketball.  Like I said, the competition back then and now has changed.  The Dream Team came at a time when USA basketball led the world.  It came at a time where BIG MEN were extremely skilled and created significant mis-matches.

The 2012 Dream Team is obviously more catered towards wingmen/run & gun.  

It's not that Barkely wasn't talented, it was more so that his attitude and style gave him an advantage.  Dude was like a 6' 7 playing center, back in the days and im not talking about his stint w/ the rockets.

Originally Posted by Deuce King

Here We Go

Yeah I noticed that earlier in the week as well.  Dude even went as far as getting a goatee specifically for the Olympics just like his hero. 

isn't that goatee of kobe's fake? im a kobe guy, but that looks fake. its like just for men black in. or black ice?

People don't understand the shift in basketball.  Like I said, the competition back then and now has changed.  The Dream Team came at a time when USA basketball led the world.  It came at a time where BIG MEN were extremely skilled and created significant mis-matches.

It's not that Barkely wasn't talented, it was more so that his attitude and style gave him an advantage.  Dude was like a 6' 7 playing center, back in the days and im not talking about his stint w/ the rockets.

barkley played center?

really.. when?

and dejuan blair is how tall again?

just for your information, dwight howard measured in at 6'9 without shoes at the draft combine.. tyson chandler is under 7 feet

and just as a comparison, look at the picture with dwight and hakeem that was posted earlier.. hakeem was only like 6'10ish and was a PF earlier on in his career

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

AG 47 wrote:

You do know that scrimmage was "thrown" on purpose right??

That's not the version I heard. Care to elaborate?

Coach K said it it during the documentary. Chuck Daley didn't make many adjustments, had weird line ups out there, and didn't play Mike that much.  He did it to prove a point, to show them they could lose... To get them to buy in. It worked. He didn't have to call a single time out the entire Olympics.

Fair enough.

Originally Posted by itsaboutthattime

barkley played center?

really.. when?

and dejuan blair is how tall again?

just for your information, dwight howard measured in at 6'9 without shoes at the draft combine.. tyson chandler is under 7 feet

and just as a comparison, look at the picture with dwight and kareem that was posted earlier.. kareem was only like 6'10ish and was a PF earlier on in his career

Howard1221.jpg

he grew. dwight grew.

Really? Charles was an athletic beast

Whichever team has the better post presence usually wins out. Miami this year, Mavs last year, Lakers before that, the Celtics and Spurs, etc. Yes the game has changed but the chmapionship qualities still remain. Dominate the post and defend and you're sure to win a championship if you have the talent to match.

Kobe made a mistake with his quote ... he should have said they could have competed against the 1992 team once he said they could beat them people lost there minds ... if he said we could have given them a good game then no one would argue ..

Whichever team has the better post presence usually wins out. Miami this year, Mavs last year, Lakers before that, the Celtics and Spurs, etc. Yes the game has changed but the chmapionship qualities still remain. Dominate the post and defend and you're sure to win a championship if you have the talent to match.

This is what I mean, but people cannot discount that the USA teams now are built differently.  Just look at Michael Phelps.  Do you see swimmers like him back in the 80s, 90s?  I'm not discounting athleticism but this whole invicible talk is far-fetched as well.

On paper, the Dream Team can BEAT PRETTY MUCH ANY TEAM you can think of!  The whole 90s era was filled w/ big men. 

This is what I mean, but people cannot discount that the USA teams now are built differently.  Just look at Michael Phelps.  Do you see swimmers like him back in the 80s, 90s?  I'm not discounting athleticism but this whole invicible talk is far-fetched as well.

On paper, the Dream Team can BEAT PRETTY MUCH ANY TEAM you can think of!  The whole 90s era was filled w/ big men. 

swimming is an individual sport.. and there is only one michael phelps.. just as there is only 1 usain bolt

anyone touching michael johnson's 400 meter record, which was set in the 90s?

or how about mike powell's long jump world record which was set in '91?

or how about the high jump world record which was set in '93?

or how about the triple jump world record which was set in '95

yup.. athletes of this era are far superior in running and jumping than those guys of the 90s
wink.gif

Back
Top Bottom