Kobe/Shaq Trade Revisited

Originally Posted by CP1708

Originally Posted by Big J 33

Since when are NBA titles that important???

<----------------
ohwell.gif
Um, forever. It's why they play the game. It's what every fan desires. They are all that matter. The only fans who say they don't matter, don't have any rings to chirp about.

I think he was being sarcastic (note emoticon, arrow, sn, and avy).

Originally Posted by justhotkicks

But their success has nothing to do with the trade, really. Only Odom remains, and he hasn't been the player the Lakers envisioned him to be. Bynum is playing well, Fisher was a great pick-up, and Kobe is the MVP.

Well, because of the trade and that terrible first year, we ended up drafting Andrew Bynum. And I believe we used the heat's draft pick to selectJordan Farmar? I could be wrong about that.

But the trade had massive after effects on the Lakers. Its not just Odom/Butler/Grant, it was other things that resulted BECAUSE the trade happened.

Originally Posted by outacontrol music

Originally Posted by LeroyTheGreat38

^And who has a better chance at getting a ring in the future?
roll.gif

We talkin about RIGHT NOW homie.

Fantasies are just that. Fantasies.

so by this logic drafting Lebron was a stupid move. Darko has a ring
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by CP1708

Originally Posted by Big J 33

Since when are NBA titles that important???

<----------------
ohwell.gif
Um, forever. It's why they play the game. It's what every fan desires. They are all that matter. The only fans who say they don't matter, don't have any rings to chirp about.

Easy tiger, it was a joke. Would I have loved to see the Knicks and Ewing win a ring? Of course, I'd be lying if I said otherwise. Do I hate them fornot taking advantage against the Rockets in 94 and Spurs in 99? Of course not, it sure as hell would have been nice
laugh.gif

The love of the game is more than rings.

But I guess I'm just mad because I "don't have any rings to chirp about"
I think he was being sarcastic (note emoticon, arrow, sn, and avy).
Thanks for noticing.

so by this logic drafting Lebron was a stupid move. Darko has a ring
roll.gif
at how stupid this comparison is. Acting like Darko didANYTHING to contribute to Detroit winning that ring.
indifferent.gif

And STILL the winners are the Heat until the Lakers with Kobe provide y'all another ring.

The Heat are in a load of trouble; not just this season, but for the near future. All the major pieces to that championship are gone (a healthy Shaq, a healthy D-Wade, veteran contributions from Payton and Mourning, good role players in Walker and Posey). That is gone, and not much available to replace any of those pieces; D-Wade will get healthy, and you guys will be the new Cavs, except worst.
tongue.gif

Why do yall continue to argue with these "Lakeshow" fans? Seeing is believing and once they OPEN their eyes they'll have no choice but to acceptthey will never win another championship for a good 15yrs.

the people that are saying the Heat are the winners are only looking at it from a SPORTS aspect..

from a BUSINESS aspect,the Lakers clearly won

thats what its all about anyway..would the LA front office like to have rings?of course...a championship team fills seats..however,if u win the chip in2005,then suck in 2007..those bandwagonfans will STOP coming (which we've seen in Miami)

having a team that can be competitive and fan can be excited about and COME to the games=more $$$

consistent season ticket sales over the course of 4-8 years>>winning a titles one year then falling off by the waistline

Why do yall continue to argue with these "Lakeshow" fans? Seeing is believing and once they OPEN their eyes they'll have no choice but to accept they will never win another championship for a good 15yrs.
now that you can see the future, great argument!!!!!!!

Buss was right in saying he wont pay Shaq 30million. Especially if Shaq had no motivation with the Lakers. Shaq got motivation after the trade for 1championship and then fell apart. Plus people forget Miami had a Finals MVP within Wade and like a 7 player trade that ultimately is the reason Miami is brokeright now. Miami did a gamble when they got all those players and it bought them 1 championship. Same theory applies to Boston. If they dont get a championshipin the next 2 years theyll b broke and have nothing to show for it cuz they cant afford those 3 players.

i think it worked out for both teams. the heat won a championship and the lakers are on the cusp of winning one also. they probably could have kept shaq andonly been a mediocre team

Originally Posted by 703 Hwy

Why do yall continue to argue with these "Lakeshow" fans? Seeing is believing and once they OPEN their eyes they'll have no choice but to accept they will never win another championship for a good 15yrs.
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
3rd youngest team in the league + #1 in the Western conference What does that equal? Bottom line, Miami sold their souls for achip. If you think they're gunna win anything as long as Shaq and his monster contract are still around you need help. To be honest, I would have tradedShaq too(but not for that package)

it took awhile

but kobe finally is learning how to pass and use the triangle offense effectively

the lakers are my favorite team of all time, word to magic johnson, and its refreshing to see the lakers franchise finally have some success back

the lakers do have the best record in the west, right now, but the season isnt even half way done

regarding the trade... the miama heat got the better deal of it immediately

but in the long run it seems as though the la lakers will get something in return... unless kobe bietches again about being traded and snitching on histeammates/coach/staffs

Uh oh.. The Laker fans are beginning to get big headed once again... Great to bring this up as soon as you guys touch first place.. Other than that, the Heatsgot the better deal for the past 4 years.. The Lakers were first round exits and didn't make the playoffs during the first year Shaq left.. Now in the 5thyear, the Lakers are finally reaping the benefits of the trade..

But, injuries are a hard thing to predict.. Whoever would of thought that Shaq let alone D Wade would be seriously injured in the process are fooled... But,still the Heats got the better, b/c they got what every team wants.. and that is a ring..Ofcourse you can have team success and have a winning record everyyear, but if you don't get a ring then that season is a failure.. The Heats got a ring and so the trade worked out in their eyes... The trade worked outfor the Lakers as well NOW b/c if they didn't trade Shaq, they never would of gotten Andrew Bynum.. So it isa win win NOW.. But, the previous years it looked very one-sided for the Heats... And the Heats only fell off b/c of injuries and age.. They just have to getyounger, and will do that in this years draft..

But, most certainly now it looks completely favored towards the Lakers b/c your bringing this up during a teams downfall and during another teams reign.. Kindaprone for everyone to say Lakers..

I guess it comes down to how you measure the success of a franchise. If you take the position that championships are all that matter, until the Lakers winanother won, the Heat got the better end of the deal. Given all the teams in the league that have never won a title, or haven't come close for decades, Ithink championships are pretty important.

Yes, the Lakers are playing very well now, but it is a bit premature to start judging the success of this season. They are getting big contributions from alot of guys right now, but there is no way to predict whether that will continue in the playoffs. We all know that playoff basketball is very different fromthe regular season. All the teams that make the playoffs in the West, 1 - 8, are going to be good. It wouldn't surprise me if the Lakers went to theconference finals or if they lost in the 1st round again. In short, let's see how playoffs go before anyone says the Lakers are back to being an eliteteam.

Finally, I don't think Miami necessarily mortgaged their future for the championship they got with Shaq. It is not as hard as it used to be to go fromvery bad to very good in the NBA (see Celtics). They have a young star to build around in Wade and are going to get a top draft pick this year. If they canpick up a couple quality free agents after Shaq retires, they should be back to being at least a playoff team, if not a championship one.

Originally Posted by lawdog1

Finally, I don't think Miami necessarily mortgaged their future for the championship they got with Shaq. It is not as hard as it used to be to go from very bad to very good in the NBA (see Celtics).

If you have bad contracts, yes it is very hard (see Knicks).

Ok ok, let me make sure I have this right. Bynum will be the best thing to happen to the league?

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Not only was it Shaq leaving, but we lost Malone, Payton, Fisher, Fox, Grant, Rush (in the early season) and Phil Jackson which caused us to be so dismalduring the '04-'05 season. We lost four of our top six scorers. The only guys that stayed who had any kind of impact on the game were Kobe and DeveanGeorge.

When you lose half your team like that, you're going to have chemistry issues. It wasn't just the fact that Shaq was gone (I guess everyone wanted toleave after he did) but that all of the chemistry was lost.

As far as who got the better deal, Miami defintely got the immediate impact and for the next season or two. But this year and maybe even last year, the Lakershave gotten the advantage from the deal and definitely will in the next 10 years with Bynum and a young, talented supporting cast.

I know Shaq helped them win a championship, but imagine Miami right now with Wade, Butler, Odom, and maybe even having had that pick that the Lakers used toget Bynum. Talk about a scary team.

Originally Posted by lawdog1

I guess it comes down to how you measure the success of a franchise. If you take the position that championships are all that matter, until the Lakers win another won, the Heat got the better end of the deal. Given all the teams in the league that have never won a title, or haven't come close for decades, I think championships are pretty important.

Yes, the Lakers are playing very well now, but it is a bit premature to start judging the success of this season. They are getting big contributions from a lot of guys right now, but there is no way to predict whether that will continue in the playoffs. We all know that playoff basketball is very different from the regular season. All the teams that make the playoffs in the West, 1 - 8, are going to be good. It wouldn't surprise me if the Lakers went to the conference finals or if they lost in the 1st round again. In short, let's see how playoffs go before anyone says the Lakers are back to being an elite team.

Finally, I don't think Miami necessarily mortgaged their future for the championship they got with Shaq. It is not as hard as it used to be to go from very bad to very good in the NBA (see Celtics). They have a young star to build around in Wade and are going to get a top draft pick this year. If they can pick up a couple quality free agents after Shaq retires, they should be back to being at least a playoff team, if not a championship one.
The thing is,NBA contracts are gaurenteed(sp?)..which means,if Shaq decided to retire early(which his body might force him to do),his contract is STILLon their books..

like dude said,see the Knicks for example..they still have Allen Houston's contract to deal with
eyes.gif

Originally Posted by illwill24

OK so it's about five years since Shaq got traded to Miami, after a tumultuous seven years on the Lakers.

So many people said that the Laker's front office, and Kobe himself, were guilty of getting rid of one of the greatest big men of all time for a younger Kobe Bryant. They got so much heat for that move, but stuck to their guns, and next season drafted an unproven 17-year-old from high school named Andrew Bynum.

Do you STILL think the Lakers made a dumb move?

As the Lakers hold the top position in the Pacific conference over Phoenix, and Miami holds (one of) the worst record(s) in the league, it seems the Lakers were right.

Shaq hasn't played a full 82-game season since Del Harris days, and Kobe is leading a young Laker team to the NBA's elite. I don't think Jerry Buss is as dumb as we take him to be, and in hindsight, moving Shaq seems to have helped the Laker organization more than it hurt it.

Soooo.........Kobe haters where are you?

- nice try kid.
wink.gif

- yes they still made a dumb move moving Shaq. (not saying they should have gotten rid of Kobe either)

- true, Bynum is looking pretty good but lets be real, by the time Bynum and Co. are at a consistent level to begin to compete in the Playoffs against the bigdogs in the West Kobe will be on the decline....so go figure
grin.gif

- yes, they're showing improvement but they're not there....yet.

- the best thing for both of them cats was to stay put, yeah Diesel got another ring (would have gotten 2 if it wasnt for sorry*%@@ Damon Jones), buthim and Kobe could have gotten many more had they not been broken up.

Back
Top Bottom