[:: LAKERS 2014 THREAD | POLL: Who Should Coach Next Year? ::]

WHO SHOULD COACH THE LAKERS NEXT SEASON?

• Mike _'Antoni

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stan Van Gundy

• Byron Scott

• George Karl

• Jerry Sloan

• Kurt Rambis

• Nate McMillan

• Doug Collins

• College Coach (Mention Name and School)...

• Total voters
Another thing about Phil (since this conversation about coaches is lacking reading comprehension)....

His draw for FA's isn't big as an executive. It is as a coach.

Jerry West's draw as an executive is minimal. Reason we got Shaq was we were a big market offering much more money.

Exactly.

And I'll add one more thing: either before the 2000 championship or the 2001 ship (or both), he was fed up with Kobe's selfish style that he wanted to trade him for Scottie Pippen, because he was a better fit for Shaq and the triangle.

Imagine if he had the power to do it :lol:

can the lakers still make the playoffs?

srs. mathematically speaking.

Last edited:
That was tweeted by @ShawnFNBA

P would know better of the guy's validity, but no way he didn't ask for full control if he talked to LA.

Last edited:
@ShawnFNBA is just a really smart fan. He doesn't have any inside sources or anything that I know of.

Another thing about Phil (since this conversation about coaches is lacking reading comprehension)....

His draw for FA's isn't big as an executive. It is as a coach.

Jerry West's draw as an executive is minimal. Reason we got Shaq was we were a big market offering much more money.

Exactly.

And I'll add one more thing: either before the 2000 championship or the 2001 ship (or both), he was fed up with Kobe's selfish style that he wanted to trade him for Scottie Pippen, because he was a better fit for Shaq and the triangle.

Imagine if he had the power to do it :lol:

I thought I remembered that as Phil wanted to bring Scottie in when he first came on (pre 2000), but to play WITH Shaq and Kobe. (our search for a SF better than Glen Rice)

My God if he would have actually traded Kobe for a 35+ year old with high mileage. :x

KidVideobombsPissedDantoni.gif

I thought I remembered that as Phil wanted to bring Scottie in when he first came on (pre 2000), but to play WITH Shaq and Kobe. (our search for a SF better than Glen Rice)

My God if he would have actually traded Kobe for a 35+ year old with high mileage. :x

I'm pretty sure it was trade Kobe. It's from one of Phil's books, I can't remember which. He might've also wanted to trade Kobe for Shawn Marion.

I think it was 2001, because Phil talks about how Kobe was such a disruptive personality for most of the season. His instinct was to get Kobe traded because the team was built around Shaq, Shaq was the one who was gonna win them a championship, etc. Kobe was great, but he was standing in the way. It was short sighted.

Phil would also probably be out here giving Luke Walton types a contract :lol:

Last edited:

I'm pretty sure it was trade Kobe. It's from one of Phil's books, I can't remember which. He might've also wanted to trade Kobe for Shawn Marion.

I think it was 2001, because Phil talks about how Kobe was such a disruptive personality for most of the season. His instinct was to get Kobe traded because the team was built around Shaq, Shaq was the one who was gonna win them a championship, etc. Kobe was great, but he was standing in the way. It was short sighted.

Phil would also probably be out here giving Luke Walton types a contract :lol:

Kobe for Kidd & Marion

The coach had a January "tirade" about Bryant in front of general manager Mitch Kupchak in which Jackson demanded the team trade Bryant and said, "I won't coach this team next year if he is still here. He won't listen to anyone. I've had it with this kid."

Jackson also revealed that he wanted to trade Bryant to the Phoenix Suns for Jason Kidd and Shawn Marion during the 1999-2000 season, Jackson's first with the Lakers, but that Jerry West, then the team's general manager, told him owner Jerry Buss would never trade Bryant. Jackson wrote that Kupchak told him the same thing last season.

http://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/Jackson-aims-words-at-Kobe-Coach-wanted-star-2717944.php

Last edited:
Nate MCMillan
George Karl
Jerry Sloan
Monty Williams
Jeff Van Gundy
Stan Van Gundy
Byron Scott
Brian Shaw
Larry Brown
Rick Carlisle
Tom Thibbs
Coach K
Mark Jackson
Frank Vogel
Jason Kidd
Doug Collins

There are your coaching options. And off the top, you KNOW most of those aren't moving. Carlisle, Thibbs, K, JVG, Vogel, etc.

Not one of those guys leftover upgrades over Mike D'Antoni.

Not, one.

So everyone, what's plan B? Blank check and unlimited power for Phil? Call Magic again? Make Kobe earn all 48 million by also being the coach?
Wait.

I took this as saying "You know Carlisle, Thibbs, K, JVG, Vogel are not moving. And the rest that are leftover, they're not upgrades over Pringles."

That what you meant?

Nate MCMillan

George Karl

Jerry Sloan

Monty Williams

Jeff Van Gundy

Stan Van Gundy

Byron Scott

Brian Shaw

Larry Brown

Rick Carlisle

Tom Thibbs

Coach K

Mark Jackson

Frank Vogel

Jason Kidd

Doug Collins

There are your coaching options. And off the top, you KNOW most of those aren't moving. Carlisle, Thibbs, K, JVG, Vogel, etc.

Not, one.

So everyone, what's plan B? Blank check and unlimited power for Phil? Call Magic again? Make Kobe earn all 48 million by also being the coach?
Wait.

I took this as saying "You know Carlisle, Thibbs, K, JVG, Vogel are not moving. And the rest that are leftover, they're not upgrades over Pringles."

That what you meant?

Yes. Those are names that people would call for (of course) but not ones we would get. Like asking for Phil again, who really I should have listed.

So that leaves the rest of those names, which are not better than MDA. Would be just another move, without actually going in any direction forward.

I wonder if there was a Shaq "ship his *** out" video but no social media to share it
nerd.gif
Really starting to amuse me, this growing notion that there were no 'bad pub' stories pre-Twitter. 
laugh.gif

Man, the likes of Bobby Bonilla and Dennis Rodman, and even Marv Albert, they would have loved for THAT to have been true.

Really starting to amuse me, this growing notion that there were no 'bad pub' stories pre-Twitter. :lol:

That's not what I meant... we all remember those bad stories that would come out about Kobe, then Shaq, then Kobe, then Shaq, then Glen Rice's wife, then Kobe, then Shaq :lol: But those were all articles.

It was different is all. Who knows what kind of first-hand evidence we would've seen with our own eyes. The Kobe parking lot video was 07; who knows what type of **** would've leaked if YouTube was big in 01, or 04

Last edited:

Nate MCMillan

George Karl

Jerry Sloan

Monty Williams

Jeff Van Gundy

Stan Van Gundy

Byron Scott

Brian Shaw

Larry Brown

Rick Carlisle

Tom Thibbs

Coach K

Mark Jackson

Frank Vogel

Jason Kidd

Doug Collins

Not, one.

Wait.

That what you meant?
Yes. Those are names that people would call for (of course) but not ones we would get. Like asking for Phil again, who really I should have listed.

So that leaves the rest of those names, which are not better than MDA. Would be just another move, without actually going in any direction forward.
I would disagree w/ Sloan and Brown... but not enough to argue it; like, I don't feel it would be a MAJOR upgrade. I think they are better COMPLETE coaches when it comes to basketball (Sloan being the most complete of the 3, in my opinion, Brown being better defensively, and MDA being far and away better than both offensively), but I feel they have other glaring holes in their overall coaching experience.

Other than those 2, completely agree w/ you.

And even Sloan (like I said, among the best listed), he hasn't coached in how long? I'd still take MDA right NOW over him. Now if Sloan were coaching somewhere, still fresh and maybe struggling somewhere (not because he's incompetent, but because the FO has handcuffed his magnificence 
wink.gif
 ), then maybe I'd feel different.

But that's not the case.

Really starting to amuse me, this growing notion that there were no 'bad pub' stories pre-Twitter. 
laugh.gif
That's not what I meant... we all remember those bad stories that would come out about Kobe, then Shaq, then Kobe, then Shaq, then Glen Rice's wife, then Kobe, then Shaq
laugh.gif
But those were all articles.

It was different is all. Who knows what kind of first-hand evidence we would've seen with our own eyes. The Kobe parking lot video was 07; who knows what type of **** would've leaked if YouTube was big in 01, or 04
Does it really matter? It ain't like in the 90s, we all thought The Worm was a patron saint, and then later learned he was a cameraman-kicking, self-marrying alkie.

Wasn't like we thought MJ was a Grant Hill type and Grant Hill was Tupac.

We knew who these guys were; social media has simply allowed us MORE access into the players we already know. Sure, it would have been MORE entertaining seeing cell phone vids of Rodman out in public... but the fact that there was no social media didn't prevent us from knowing him, and hasn't prevented us from knowing Shaq, or anyone.

Just gives us more entertainment is all.

Social media hasn't defined anyone; it has simply given us more insight.

Last edited:
I wasn't saying it did...

Social media wouldn't have given us a different take on what that team was like. Just a better look. I agree.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom