[:: LAKERS 2014 THREAD | POLL: Who Should Coach Next Year? ::]

WHO SHOULD COACH THE LAKERS NEXT SEASON?

• Mike _'Antoni

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stan Van Gundy

• Byron Scott

• George Karl

• Jerry Sloan

• Kurt Rambis

• Nate McMillan

• Doug Collins

• College Coach (Mention Name and School)...

• Total voters
See, but NOW you're getting somewhere.

The Heat have LeBron, yessir. As in, is Eric Spolestra winning all these titles without that elite type player?

Mike D have an elite, Bron like player on his roster right now? So why you (and others) want to force him out?

If Mike had LeBron, does it not stand to reason that the offense would look good, AND the defense would look better as LeBron roams the court? :nerd:

This is where we 100% agree. I can not argue there. But the ONLY player that would work for with Mike D is playing healthy in Houston this year.
D12 would have made up for Mike D's lack of defense. But with Dwight gone you cant have Mike D and win. We dont have the Superstars to match his coaching style
sorry CP, we just do not

So you're telling me the last 4 world champion basketball teams of the world all had good ball movement and shot the basketball into the basket extremely well?

No Way! :wow:

Not Tryna be a jerk but how does the last 4 professional basketball teams to win championships PASSING AND SHOOTING THE BASKETBALL WELL prove anything other than THEY WERE THE BEST BASKETBALL TEAMS OF THEIR SEASONS?

How does that prove anything about our coach? Sounds like a Magic Johnson tweet.

"They were nba champions because they won the nba championship playing great basketball" :lol:

They ain't hearin ya lol

See, but NOW you're getting somewhere.

The Heat have LeBron, yessir. As in, is Eric Spolestra winning all these titles without that elite type player?

Mike D have an elite, Bron like player on his roster right now? So why you (and others) want to force him out?

If Mike had LeBron, does it not stand to reason that the offense would look good, AND the defense would look better as LeBron roams the court? :nerd:

This is where we 100% agree. I can not argue there. But the ONLY player that would work for with Mike D is playing healthy in Houston this year.
D12 would have made up for Mike D's lack of defense. But with Dwight gone you cant have Mike D and win. We dont have the Superstars to match his coaching style
sorry CP, we just do not

And WHY do you think I been BEGGING for a top 2-3 pick this year, so we can get the first one, elite, future superstar

To then pair with another old one (Kobe)

And more importantly, TWO upcoming free agents in the coming years? (anyone from Bron, to Love, to Rondo, to LMA, to Marc Gasol, to Durant, etc etc)

Could Mike D be the coach you askin for, with Love, Durant and Exum? :nerd:

Mix in a defensive Tyson Chandler type Center, and a Battier type SG, would that team play great offense, AND be a defensive team in the Heat, Mavs, Thunder, Spurs mold of recent times?

:wink:

How? He will be the only one on the books. Try again..

Set aside another max slot, plus the draft pick's contract, suddenly you're around $53ish million.

~$10 million to use (depending on the cap figure) is not a lot for Guys 4-13.

Unless the Lakers are willing to dip into that max slot they've set aside.

Last edited:

I understand what P is trying to say but using a team with LeBron James in his prime along with very productive teammates isn't exactly the most convincing example
laugh.gif
all 6 of the finals teams in the last 3 years move the ball well, play small ball and shoot a bunch of 3s

heat, spurs, thunder, mavs
So you're telling me the last 4 world champion basketball teams of the world all had good ball movement and shot the basketball into the basket extremely well?

No Way!
eek.gif

Not Tryna be a jerk but how does the last 4 professional basketball teams to win championships PASSING AND SHOOTING THE BASKETBALL WELL prove anything other than THEY WERE THE BEST BASKETBALL TEAMS OF THEIR SEASONS?

How does that prove anything about our coach? Sounds like a Magic Johnson tweet.

"They were nba champions because they won the nba championship playing great basketball"
laugh.gif
so you take the fact that the things dantoni's offense focuses on matches up with the same offensive tendencies of the most successful teams, combine it with the knowledge that when dantoni has good players (see prime suns years and last year) his teams are generally slightly above average defensively and its not too hard to fathom a dantoni led team winning a championship if everything falls into place

*Looks at the last three NBA champions*

Yeah, you can't win playing fast, emphasizing ball movement and shooting threes.

P, what about defense though.

Miami looks like they know at least a little of what to do on defense...

At least a littttttttttttttttttttle bit...

Lakers are letting teams drop 140 on them...

You can argue its the players, but its the coach's job to teach some consistency, and you can't have teams dropping 140 on you one night and then you play decent the next game, that speaks on the coach.
He has no rim protectors, or anyone I would trust to make a defensive rotation..the best defender on the team is who I ask? :rofl:

If you want to argue he'll never be a head coach of an elite defensive team, sure. But give him a couple of defensive players (Kurt Thomas, Raja Bell, Tyson Chandler, Iman Shumpert) and the team will at least be middle of the pack.

It's when he's stuck with sloths (last year's Lakers) or a group of band-aids (this year's Lakers and his first two years with the Knicks) then yeah, they will be horrendous on defense. But hey guess what, so will every other coach in the league.

Last edited:
And WHY do you think I been BEGGING for a top 2-3 pick this year, so we can get the first one, elite, future superstar

To then pair with another old one (Kobe)

And more importantly, TWO upcoming free agents in the coming years? (anyone from Bron, to Love, to Rondo, to LMA, to Marc Gasol, to Durant, etc etc)

Could Mike D be the coach you askin for, with Love, Durant and Exum? :nerd:

Mix in a defensive Tyson Chandler type Center, and a Battier type SG, would that team play great offense, AND be a defensive team in the Heat, Mavs, Thunder, Spurs mold of recent times?

:wink:

NOW we are talkin CP!

Buuuut no. :lol:

The only hiccup in that is the only superstar that would work with Mike D would have to be a next generation type defensive superstar. Thats the ONLY way I can
see Mike ever sniffing the Finals.
And that player would most likely have to be a perimeter defensive superstar.

So no KLove/Durant/Exum would not work with Mike D ...we would be scoring 200 points a game most def. But would be giving up 270 points a night
Sorry I just dont see Mike D as a complete coach capable of winning unless everything is PERFECT

Mike D only wins if EVERYTHING is PERFECT.

Set aside another max slot, plus the draft pick's contract, suddenly you're around $53ish million.

~$10 million to use (depending on the cap figure) is not a lot for Guys 4-13.

Unless the Lakers are willing to dip into that max slot they've set aside.

I understand that totally. But none of that is happening this season unless Bron leaves Miami. So it wouldnt matter.
If we are talking year 2. That also doesnt matter because Kobe's 25 mil is the only thing on the books

And those guys 4-13 that you speak of can be bought every year. There a dime a dozen. Superstars are not.
No reason spending money on mid-level players when you dont even no who your superstar is gonna be or what style is gonna be played.
Just useless spending

Ummm well thats just not true. The playoffs are all about adjustments. If everything went perfect then there would be no reason to adjust....

Which is another problem with Mike D.
But ill just be quiet about that.....

No Way! :wow:

"They were nba champions because they won the nba championship playing great basketball" :lol:

speaking of magics tweets. he had another tweet the other night saying he's adding houston as a team that can get to the finals from the west. hes got like 5 of the top 8 seeds in the west as favorites to make it to the finals :rofl:

Last edited:
I understand that totally. But none of that is happening this season unless Bron leaves Miami. So it wouldnt matter.
If we are talking year 2. That also doesnt matter because Kobe's 25 mil is the only thing on the books

It does matter. The moves this summer will still be affected, if they want to maintain the money for next year (when we expect them to be spending). So the Lakers can't get anything more than one-yearers.

There are probably some guys that can be signed for a decent, multi-year deal; the Lakers will automatically pass if they want to maintain their cap space.

To me, that's affecting the ability to build the long-term product.

No reason spending money on mid-level players when you dont even no who your superstar is gonna be or what style is gonna be played.
Maybe on some level. But the Lakers have nothing but one-year reclamation projects right now; they need to start adding a better quality of player.

Just useless spending

This whole convo began with Kobe's contract, which a couple of people justified by saying "the Lakers aren't spending it anywhere else." I look at that as useless spending.

Last edited:
Hey if it's not Jabari, Wiggins, Exum or Embiid; I'm not totally against trading that pick to Minny for Love. Maybe we can get a later 1st rder from them and grab that kid Levine from UCLA. I do not want us to take Julius Randle or Marcus Smart if we drop out of the top 4. It's imperative that we get into the top 4, cause after that none of these other guys scream could be franchise players, but that's just me.

Maybe we can do a swap with 1st rd picks with Minny and give them Pau for Love, that way we still get a legit starter perhaps and they can pair Pau with his countryman, Rubio.

Last edited:
It does matter. The moves this summer will still be affected, if they want to maintain the money for next year (when we expect them to be spending). So the Lakers can't get anything more than one-yearers.

There are probably some guys that can be signed for a decent, multi-year deal; the Lakers will automatically pass if they want to maintain their cap space.

To me, that's affecting the ability to build the long-term product.
Maybe on some level. But the Lakers have nothing but one-year reclamation projects right now; they need to start adding a better quality of player.
This whole convo began with Kobe's contract, which a couple of people justified by saying "the Lakers aren't spending it anywhere else." I look at that as useless spending.

Yea you do have valid points. I can see what you mean.
Its just IMO if you did anything with the money this year on anyone not named Bron, you would be spending money just to spend it.
And those same type players that are available this year will be the same type available next year. So in the long term it really has no affect on TRUE
player movement

damn kobe making it know he has no interest to play under mike next year??? fudge. he's slanging the big nuts now
n6wbgg.gif

I really hope Kobe and Magic voicing their frustrations today with the Lakers creates some type of sense of urgency for next season.

Sure did. Kobe hit the shot and did the big nuts with like 3 secs left. Then Roger mason Jr came down hit the game winner buzzer and did the big nuts right back. It was hilarious in real time

Sure did. Kobe hit the shot and did the big nuts with like 3 secs left. Then Roger mason Jr came down hit the game winner buzzer and did the big nuts right back. It was hilarious in real time
I remembered it was some obscure Spurs player that hit the game winner 
laugh.gif

will look for video 

Fish cost them the game when he went for a steal in the corner and bumped Mason as he was shooting.

Back
Top Bottom