Learning To Drive A Stick Shift Unnapreciation.

Originally Posted by MR MONDAY NIIGHT

shifting without using the clutch is another level

I have yet to try this. My bro was telling me bout this. There is an exact RPM where your clutch disengages I believe and you can just pop out of gear withoutusing the clutch.

Haven't manned up to this yet.

Originally Posted by Royal Airness 29

I have yet to try this. My bro was telling me bout this. There is an exact RPM where your clutch disengages I believe and you can just pop out of gear without using the clutch.

Really? Man.. I don't think I can do this.. Just hearing the gears grind will just hurt my feelings.
ohwell.gif

Truckers have been doing this for years.

I highly recommend people not trying it.

I remember the guy who first told me this... huge argument. but that dude was a herb anyway.

Originally Posted by shaolin

Originally Posted by verynecessary

Originally Posted by ThuG LyFe

right now i'm saving for s2000 so it's worth the wait. one of the best gearboxes made i hear.

btw, if you go to dave and buster's there's this ferrari game that's in manual and also has a clutch...pretty good simulation but of course there's nothing like actually driving a real manual.
s2000
pimp.gif
. one of my favorites. drove a few when i used to work valet and man... such a nice gearbox. same with the nsx
smokin.gif
. makes you wanna shift all day. the d&b's ferrari game isn't that great of a sim though. there's no feedback with the clutch and you can throw it in and out of gear without touching the clutch. imo, it's a tease
frown.gif

Originally Posted by nikegirluk

Automatics are boring, manuals are the %@+$
pimp.gif
what kind of car do u drive? i loved it when i visited europe last year. everything was manual, except for maybe a handful... and i was looking every time we were on our coach.

here in the u.s., it's almost the complete opposite. at least 9 of every 10 cars is automatic
sick.gif
id say more than that
tired.gif
. call it weird, but when Im out walking in the parknlot or jogging... i look in cars to see if it a manny.

America is a lazy country... end of discussion.
i do the same thing since working valet. it's so disappointing to see 911 turbos, m3's, corvettes as automatics. it was fun driving a few random cars that were stick though, like suv's and lifted trucks. i did come across a 5 spd mb slk amg... i think that was the only manual mercedes i ever saw.
so rare. hows the shifting? I always thought MB should broaden their market shares by offer manny.

12692371045.266602334.IM1.16.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

12958381550.266877256.IM1.16.565x421_A.565x375.jpg

deff. wanna test drive some around my way.
honestly, it didn't feel up to par with the rest of the vehicle, especially being an amg. it's almost like it felt like it was pulledfrom some average vehicle. but the engine... the engine was a beast.

I have yet to try this. My bro was telling me bout this. There is an exact RPM where your clutch disengages I believe and you can just pop out of gear without using the clutch.

i've tried it for the hell of it. getting it out of gear is simple. all you have to do is make sure there's no torque going through thegears (no acceleration or deceleration) and then move the shifter into neutral. imagine jumping into the air and getting the exact point where you're notgoing up or down. getting it back into gear is the hard part. i think i did it once, but i'd rather not try it again. you have to match and hold revsfor a split second, and even if you can manage that, the dog teeth (the ridges on the gears) aren't always in the correct position to mate, so you have torely on the synchros to ease it into gear. technically you could just bang the shifter into gear, but say goodbye to your ****** a whole lot sooner
eyes.gif

Originally Posted by ThuG LyFe

right now i'm saving for s2000 so it's worth the wait. one of the best gearboxes made i hear.

btw, if you go to dave and buster's there's this ferrari game that's in manual and also has a clutch...pretty good simulation but of course there's nothing like actually driving a real manual.
s2000
pimp.gif
. one of my favorites. drove a few when i used to work valet and man... such a nice gearbox. same with the nsx
smokin.gif
. makes you wanna shift all day. the d&b's ferrari game isn't that great of a sim though. there's no feedback with the clutch and you can throw it in and out of gear without touching the clutch. imo, it's a tease
frown.gif

pimp.gif
what kind of car do u drive? i loved it when i visited europe last year. everything was manual, except for maybe a handful... and i was looking every time we were on our coach.

here in the u.s., it's almost the complete opposite. at least 9 of every 10 cars is automatic
sick.gif
id say more than that
tired.gif
. call it weird, but when Im out walking in the parknlot or jogging... i look in cars to see if it a manny.

America is a lazy country... end of discussion.
i do the same thing since working valet. it's so disappointing to see 911 turbos, m3's, corvettes as automatics. it was fun driving a few random cars that were stick though, like suv's and lifted trucks. i did come across a 5 spd mb slk amg... i think that was the only manual mercedes i ever saw.
so rare. hows the shifting? I always thought MB should broaden their market shares by offer manny.

12692371045.266602334.IM1.16.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

12958381550.266877256.IM1.16.565x421_A.565x375.jpg

deff. wanna test drive some around my way.

I work for merecedes and let me tell you.....IT SUCKS BIG TIME. It's not smooth at all, and just doesn't feel right. The engine is pulls pretty strongthough.

Originally Posted by size twelve

sounds stupid.
yep pretty much... for any of you who even think about trying... consider this...

is it worth grinding your gears and messing up your tran?

btw even if you do it with grinding, its not not great for the transmission and you're splitting what? 1/10 of a second?

Originally Posted by MyJaysGetRocked

I work for merecedes and let me tell you.....IT SUCKS BIG TIME. It's not smooth at all, and just doesn't feel right. The engine is pulls pretty strong though.
i get the feeling their manuals are outsourced. do you know what's up? what other models have the manual option? i'm guess the c seriesand the clk at least.

Originally Posted by MyJaysGetRocked

I work for merecedes and let me tell you.....IT SUCKS BIG TIME. It's not smooth at all, and just doesn't feel right. The engine is pulls pretty strong though.
i get the feeling their manuals are outsourced. do you know what's up? what other models have the manual option? i'm guess the c series and the clk at least.

cough cough DAIMLER cough cough

but other models that i know of:

C300
c230 komp

I accidentally do clutchless shifts all the time. The tC is known for having a really easy transition to 1st and 2nd gear, sometimes 1st randomly will pop into2nd without any trouble even before I step 1/4 of the way into the clutch and I'm into gear.

Originally Posted by FromThaTown

eyes.gif
people saying that they learned how to drive a manual in like 2hours is a straight up liar, over here manual cars are the standard hardly anyone takes a automatic test (to be frank automatic cars are slow and take up too much petrol cos there always in high gears, dont think i'd ever buy an automatic unless its like a 4X4).

Theres no way someone can sit in a manual car first time and 'find the biting point correctly, balance the car (using the accelerator and clutch, so the car doesnt move without using any of the breaks) and smoothly drive off in 2 hours without stalling at least 5 times...No joke, manual is easy once you've got he hang of it, because it becomes like second nature but first time. nahh it wont happen, probably after 6-10 lessons with a driving instructor.

pimp.gif
I'm a witness to my brother driving off in his Mini Cooper S, out the lot in , without stalling. It was a 40 min ride. He got his manual knowledge just from hearsay. It took me half a day. Some people get it much faster, and some slower. Like someone said in this thread, anyone can learn how to drive manual, but to master it with heal and toe, and double clutching is on another level.

I LEARNED IN 2 HOURS, I had to drive my first s13 from coral gables to palm beach. It is easy, I did stall a lot but once I got on the turnpike it was
pimp.gif
. I wouldnt say Ive mastered it but I can drift
tongue.gif

Originally Posted by keepzdasneakz

I accidentally do clutchless shifts all the time. The tC is known for having a really easy transition to 1st and 2nd gear, sometimes 1st randomly will pop into 2nd without any trouble even before I step 1/4 of the way into the clutch and I'm into gear.
you mean without you having to move the shifter at all? sounds a bit off...

learned on a 3000 gt, a slammed s-10 then just bought an 06 mazda 3 one day for trade-in and learned all over again. later on I had a job that had me drivingstick shift trucks. It's definitely fun but I missed out on automatic luxuries..smoking,cell phone,and trying to drink something.

Originally Posted by vrp32tl

I taught my wifey how to drive a stickshift by showing her were the sweet spot on the clutch was. Before I would even let her press on the gas, I would tell her to put it into first and ease off the clutch. Of course without pressing on the gas the car would stall but this way she knew were the clutch was grabbing. Hopefully that makes sense to you all.

By the way, seeing a female that knows how to drive stickshift is a turn on.
Yup that's how I taught my girl, didn't my clutch to get burnt out with her heavy right foot.

BTW AMGs are auto only

Originally Posted by JFMartiMcDandruff

Originally Posted by himHOTdemNOT

M/T isn't whats hard. Learning the heel-toe move is whats hard. youtube it, Keiichi Tsuchiya FTW!!!

i'm scared to even practice that

Lol... let the dude learn how to properly drive a M/T first... All that match-rev, heel-toe, double-clutch, etc is WAAAY down the list... the last thing youwanna do is rear-end someone while practicing your heel-toeing...

People who drive stick and dont know how to downshift should not be allowed to drive the vehicle.

Thats the only fun part bout stick. Speeding down the high way....6th gear...bout to get on the exit ramp....

Downshift to 5th....VMMMMMMM
Downshift to 4th.. VMMMMMMMMMMM
3rd if you wanna take the exit ramp even quicker...VMMMMMMMMM

In Chicago the on-ramps and exit ramps are all circles btw.

gave this man a medal
pimp.gif
he speaks the truth.

Blip.. Rmmm. clutch out VMMM
what da...sounds like you're doing it wrong. when you blip the throttle ur supposed to let the clutch out almost at the same time. if ur rpmgoes up when u blip then comes down then goes up again when you clutch out, you did not "rev match". when i was teaching myself how to heel toe for afew weeks i was doing it wrong cause i wasn't quick enough to let the clutch out the same time i hit the gas. it takes a bit of practice.

Back
Top Bottom