Mark Wahlberg asking for a pardon... everyone has a past

http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/09/opinion/yang-mark-wahlberg/index.html

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...s-troubling-violent-and-racist-rap-sheet.html

New England Cable News reported that actor Mark Wahlberg -- one of Hollywood's most bankable leading men, who scored a staggering $16 million paycheck for his turn as a heroic father and inventor in the most recent "Transformers" movie -- has petitioned Massachusetts for pardon of his brutal assaults on a pair of Vietnamese men, Tranh Lam and Hoa Trinh, while a teenager in Dorchester, Massachusetts.

The attacks were peppered with racial slurs; he called Lam a "Vietnam f**king sh*t" before smashing him in the head with a large club and knocking him unconscious, and he punched Trinh so hard that he left him blinded in one eye. He repeatedly referred to both men as "slant-eyed g**ks" while he was being arrested. Wahlberg, who was 17, was tried as an adult and served 45 days in jail for the crime.

In the application he filed to the state's Advisory Board of Pardons, Wahlberg states that he has "dedicated myself to becoming a better person and citizen so that I can be a role model to my children and others" and that "receiving a pardon would be a formal recognition that I am not the same person that I was." He claims that, despite his use of racist language, the race of the men was not a motivation for his crime, blaming instead the "influence of alcohol and narcotics." (Wahlberg committed the assaults while seeking to steal two cases of beer from Lam's convenience store.)

In a stroke of irony, he states that a major reason for seeking a pardon is the desire to expand his own burgeoning restaurant chain, Wahlburgers, whose licensing has been hampered by his record as a felon.

So, young Mark Wahlberg, who would just half a decade later rise to fame as a rapper and a crotch-grabbing underwear model under the name "Marky Mark" before successfully transitioning to acting, was let off with a trivial 45-day sentence after battering an Asian man until he was permanently handicapped. Three gold records, $200 million in wealth and untold fame and adulation later, he's seeking absolution for his crimes, because, he writes, "troubled youths will see this as an inspiration and motivation that they, too, can turn their lives around."

According to The Boston Globe, to this day Wahlberg has never apologized or paid restitution to the victims of his crimes. He alsohasn't really acknowledged his pattern of bigoted language and racist violence, which included a separate episode in which he threw rocks at African-American schoolchildren while shouting that "black n*ggers" were unwelcome in his community.
One of the first felonies occurred on the afternoon of June 15, 1986. That day, Jesse Coleman, a 12-year-old black boy, and his older brother and sister were walking back to their home in Dorchester. Wahlberg, 15, and three friends began following the group on bicycles, when one of the boys shouted at them, “We don’t like black ni**ers in the area, so get the f**k away from the area,” according tocourt documents. The three black kids began running away, and Wahlberg and his friends chased them on their bikes. During the chase, Wahlberg and his friends began chanting, “Kill the ni**er, kill the ni**er,” while hurling rocks at their victims. Thankfully, the Coleman kids reached a Burger King, and Wahlberg and his amateur biker gang rode off.
The most violent offense committed by Wahlberg occurred on the night of April 8, 1988. At 9 p.m. that evening, Thanh Lam parked his car and exited the vehicle carrying two cases of beer. Suddenly Lam, a Vietnamese resident of Dorchester, was approached by Wahlberg, then 16, who was carrying “a large wooden stick, approximately five feet long and two to three inches in diameter,” according tocourt documents. Wahlberg yelled at Lam, calling him “a Vietnam f**king sh*t,” and then hit him in the head with the stick. Lam was knocked out cold. Wahlberg fled from the scene and approached a bystander, Hoa Trinh, also Vietnamese. He told him, “Police coming, police coming, let me hide,” and after the cop car passed by, punched Trinh in the eye, rendering him partially blind. Trinh eventually fingered Wahlberg, and the cops arrested him.

Later that evening, Boston police brought Wahlberg back to the scene of the crime where, in the presence of two officers, he looked at Lam and stated, “You don’t have to let him identify me, I’ll tell you now that’s the mother-f**ker whose head I split open.” He also proceeded to shout a bunch of racial epithets about “g**ks” and “slant-eyed g**ks.”
Dont think i can watch anymore of his movies 
mean.gif

Yeah screw this guy. It's a money making opportunity so now he wants to correct the situation.

I doubt he'll give the guy he made blind some money or even go in person to apologize.

Cant say I'm shocked that a kid growing up in Dorchester would say these things... 
laugh.gif

But you're a product of your environment and hell, Dorchester racist as ****.

What are his true feelings now?  People can change... But he can say whatever he wants and you either believe it or call BS.

I don't even follow celebs like that, but thought all this was common knowledge. Dude is a known racist.

ya aint know he was a scumbag?
I knew but I didn't know that he said he didn't care to apologize to dude he attacked because he's moved on and can sleep with himself at night until recently. I was never a fan before but that comment is super funny style.

Last edited:
ya aint know he was a scumbag?
I knew but I didn't know that he said he didn't care to apologize to dude he attacked because he's moved on and can sleep with himself at night until recently. I was never a fan before but that comment is super funny style.

he shouldnt even have asked for a pardon. now media gonna bring it back up. i think younger folks dont even know about it. in the end, it isnt gonna hurt him.

dont eem think he ever really apologized for his actions

Last edited:
Cant say I'm shocked that a kid growing up in Dorchester would say these things... :lol:

But you're a product of your environment and hell, Dorchester racist as ****.

What are his true feelings now?  People can change... But he can say whatever he wants and you either believe it or call BS.

I think people can change. Few and far between maybe...but word to american history x.

Regardless if he changed he doesn't deserve it. Simply put, it would be wildly unfair. Like...mad unfair.

I like mark whalberg as an actor. I can't help it. His movies are fun to watch for the most part, if not really good.

What I want to know is what is the degree of racism in Boston? I know the city has its reputation. But my girl is from there and she is from a more diverse part of greater Boston. And I haven't experienced any racism directed at me but I can see the blatant segregation in Dorchester for example. But is it that bad compared to NYC? I mean with profiling at Macy's 34st or NYPD...is Boston any worse than NYC? :nerd:

Serious question. Excuse typos..on cell.

Nah, **** this dude. Even after all the success he's had he hasn't even made an attempt to reach out to the dude he blinded.

"I forgave myself" wtf?? That dude will be blinded in his eye for the rest of his life and Wahlberg has done absolutely nothing for him.

Let him live with his record until the end of his days.

The stuff he did isn't even close to 'kids being kids'.. He legit has problems.

Last edited:
Never knew about this, but he's a white dude from massachusetts I can't say I'm surprised.

Nah, **** this dude. Even after all the success he's had he hasn't even made an attempt to reach out to the dude he blinded.

"I forgave myself" wtf?? That dude will be blinded in his eye for the rest of his life and Wahlberg has done absolutely nothing for him.

Let him live with his record until the end of his days.

The stuff he did isn't even close to 'kids being kids'.. He legit has problems.

Quoted, Repped, Bolded and Enlarged for emphasis.

Their only insults. When a fat **** makes you mad what do you call him? A fat **** right?

I call it as I see them, nothing racist about categorizing insults to certain people.

If your going to mad at him then be mad at him for what he did. Not being a damn name caller.

Back
Top Bottom