Mature Discussion Thread: At what age should you move out your mother's basement/parent's house?

Mature Discussion thread (no insults, no attacks)

At what age should you move out of your mother's house and parent's basement...

Be independent and on your own..

be self sufficient and financially responsible for yourself?

I think in America its 18-21 at the latest....

Discuss...

I just can't picture myself being 30 living in my mother's basement or parents house with 100 pairs of sneakers and paying a lease on a german car, stuntin with lv gucci....

Last edited:
18-21??

some of yall are so stupid and worry to much about what others think.

The moment you graduate you're trying to put yourself in a position to struggle just to live on your own.

I have no shame, when I can financially support myself completely I will. landed my first job outta college, im thinking by my 2nd one within 6 months - 2 years i'll have saved up enough / be making enough to separate from the family.

im 23 now i say 3 more years maximum, but again ideally 6months to 2 years.

Last edited:
This thread pops up every month if not every couple of months. To summarize how this thread will end :

-Everyone will say "depends on the person"
-Everyone will call you an idiot for saying 18-21, which you are.
-Everyone will point out you're 3 posts
-Something about getting yams while your parents home will arise
-/end

When you're able to support yourself financially.  I was seeing a girl that was $5K+ in debt, had her dad paying her rent while giving her $500 a month on top of that, and she was a college drop-out with no direction in life.  She used to make it seem like I wasn't an "adult" because I'm living at home while I go back to school...yet I own my own car, work as much as I can, pay all of my own bills, and contribute to the household bills and food expenses. It was rather infuriating.

Real talk, I live in a popular city.  After graduation I plan to stay as long as I want.  It's just me and my mother living here, and honesty  I'm not a fan of leaving her by herself.  The crib is paid for, so it's only taxes and bills.  I'm in no rush to go out and get my own place.

I moved out a couple of months ago, i jus felt like i was being treated with no respect, had leave. I'm 25.

Last edited:
I live on my own now for a fee months 24 yrs old in ny state it's soo expensive thank god I moved out with my girl and we compromise on everything we spend money on its fun my apt is sick and I pay $900 for a one bed room spacious all untilities included and my lord lord don't give a damn about much I got a sweet deal

Real talk, how do y'all bring home girls when you're living with your family . . .

What if you have no basement . . . how do you bring home some yambs or bust dem wawls next to ya little brother or little sister's room . . .

OP's about top make some Nters feel bad. :rofl:

For anyone that replies age doesn't matter, that's ridiculous. The only time it's acceptable for a 30 year old to live with his/her parents is either if that person is developmentally disabled, has become disabled or if that person goes through some sort of financial or life crisis.

OP's about top make some Nters feel bad.
roll.gif

For anyone that replies age doesn't matter, that's ridiculous. The only time it's acceptable for a 30 year old to live with his/her parents is either if that person is developmentally disabled, has become disabled or if that person goes through some sort of financial or life crisis.
eek.gif

First time I've seen you post in a regular topic

Whenever you're ready especially if you live in a city that's expensive to rent and you'd need roommates just to make ends meet. Moving out at 18-21 is just asking to put yourself in a difficult position unless you're a trust fund baby or extremely stable financially. In America, Western society in general, we see youth move out of the home faster than they should. I'm 24 right now and still at home while being able to pay off my college debt with little financial obligation.

First of all, I see no shame in living with your parents. I lived with my parents 2 years after high school going into community college. After that I went to University for 4 years living on my own with half the aid coming from my parents. I eventually graduated, now I have a pretty good job and I am financially sound. Have to thank my folks, I owe them a bit of gratitude.

Never understood why people quickly move out and suffer.

Man I am 19 and living with my folks and still plan on living with them another 5 years. Real talk

I feel as though when you are ready... Some people don't even have this luxury of staying home and are forced to make do/due. Sometimes I feel like people who don't have that force or push get complacent with staying home...and honestly some may never even experience being on their own. They go from mom or grandmas house to baby mama house. But such as life...

Back
Top Bottom