Mature Discussion Thread: At what age should you move out your mother's basement/parent's house?

I guess being young and giving all your money away is what that is nowadays.

Having bills is not cool. No matter what age. The longer you can go with out it the better imo. Once the start, they don't stop. It's an endless cycle of due dates.

Not everybody situation is the same. Especially with the amount of broken homes out there.

If you are moving out and leaving a sick or elderly parent on there own, you may want to re-think why you are moving out in the first place.

If you are moving out to keep up with what you think is a "societal norm" you're not doing it right.

You simply move out when you can afford it. Media got peoples heads messed up thinking there's an exact time to move out. Everybody on different clocks.

Honestly i feel this thread comes up because of the pressure.

If people judge negatively you because of this, they aren't really the people you need in life.

Last edited:
23. I wish i could afford to move out. I don't feel any different still living at home though. *KanyeShrug*

Whenever you're ready especially if you live in a city that's expensive to rent and you'd need roommates just to make ends meet. Moving out at 18-21 is just asking to put yourself in a difficult position unless you're a trust fund baby or extremely stable financially. In America, Western society in general, we see youth move out of the home faster than they should. I'm 24 right now and still at home while being able to pay off my college debt with little financial obligation.
Same boat. I start my first REAL job on Monday. I'm gonna pay off all my debt, cop a new car and everything else that I really want and then move out when I'm comfortable. Moms and a WHOLE bunch of other people are telling me to do the same. Ain't no shame in it. Now, if you ain't s**t and you're flippin burgers at Burger World at 35, then you need to get your act together. People care too much about how people look at you. I know lots of people that have moved out at 21 or earlier and now they're ALL f***ed up. 

how about when you're financially able to?

If you are working and living at home, chip in and don't be cheap

Some cultures, you don't move out til you are married. It's a way of saving your money to spend it on what really matters. Your future family. Not wasting money that could have bought land, house and take care of things on apartments and leases. That money is gone forever and you can't get it back.

You have no idea how many older people I work with that say stuff like,

"If I hadn't wasted so much money on apartments, clothes,doing what I thought people my age should be doing, I coulda had everything I wanted by 30"

Real talk, how do y'all bring home girls when you're living with your family . . .

What if you have no basement . . . how do you bring home some yambs or bust dem wawls next to ya little brother or little sister's room . . .
So ya just gonna ignore the question . . .

I am 25
everyone i know including me, is still living with their moms, even those that are working

nyc rent is just :smh: dam hipsters

Real talk, how do y'all bring home girls when you're living with your family . . .

What if you have no basement . . . how do you bring home some yambs or bust dem wawls next to ya little brother or little sister's room . . .
So ya just gonna ignore the question . . .
Go back to her place or rent a hotel room for the night. If you have enough money to go out, you can afford a room at a decent hotel.

18-21? lmao
are you serious?

maybe it differs by state then.
this. times is rough I moved out when I was only around 19 had more freedom than I can possibly ever imagine but to keep the place I was living in I was working 6 days a week about 13 hours a day so so-long freedom. thats the real life. I achieved moving out on my own but I hated my life. Moved back with my folks, now 23 and in college but I lovit. Also I know loads of folks around 30 and up still staying with their folks. again "it must differ by state"

Last edited:
This thread pops up every month if not every couple of months. To summarize how this thread will end :
-Everyone will say "depends on the person"
-Everyone will call you an idiot for saying 18-21, which you are.
-Everyone will point out you're 3 posts
-Something about getting yams while your parents home will arise
-/end
:lol:

this dude called it word to meak mills.

in the end it really does depend on the person and their situation.

it is not that it is UNACCEPTABLE to be at your parents place when you're 30 

but if you are, you better have been on some crazy high path to a rewarding career

or you are just wasting time and also a waste of space.

I am 25
everyone i know including me, is still living with their moms, even those that are working
nyc rent is just
mean.gif
dam hipsters
DMV area too

Depends on the city, in Ny city, without a decent job it'll probably be hard as ****

I moved on my own when I was 18 I'm 24 going on 25, but I have a pretty good job and the cost of living isn't too outrageous,

Just make sure you have a plan, I've got friends who are 26-28 and have never moved out or even thought about it, I know a dude who is 29 just recently bought a brand new f450 lariat, and still lives with his parents on top of that dude is Married with a kid :wow: and where they live you can get a nice 3 bedroom apt for about 700 a month

Really depends on your family and your situation.

But for me :

- You can take your time if your in school.
- When you have a full time job, you should be on your own.
- More than 24 years old, you should really start thinking on getting your own place.

But it always depend... :smh:

That's one of the things I've been reading is that one of the biggest mistakes that young people make is to move out of home too early. Young people nowadays are so worried about what's "socially acceptable" that they don't realize that they are messing up their futures by going out, renting an apartment, and (sometimes) making payments on a car. It just doesn't make sense to be doing that to yourself at a young age if you have parents that don't mind you being at home. My parents love me being at home because of all the things I help them with (especially computer related).

It all depends on your situation. I left at 16-17. Just was tired of being told what to do plus I was getting enough money to support myself.

If your currently still in school I would stay. Just make sure you help out with things.

Once you finish or get a full time job it's time to go.

Man I wish I would of stayed home. Would be driving a up to date Bentley gt :rofl:

Two things in African culture are necessary for me to move out

1. Financial ability- If I can afford it comfortably, or get married I will then move out

2. Family- If my parents still need me around for a legit reason (health problems, economic problems etc) I will stay around. As the oldest of my siblings its my responsibility to make sure my parents and siblings are alright

2 weeks after graduation of high school, and i am doing fine.
Its different for everyone and their cultures play a big part too

EDIT: graduated in 07 from HS

Last edited:
I'm 22 and in school. Working. Still at home. Move out when you believe you are ready. Just don't free load while you're there 
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom