Mature Discussion Thread: At what age should you move out your mother's basement/parent's house?

I haven't really seen this touched on but when you say move out do you mean with roommate(s) or by yourself? Moving out completely by yourself, especially here in Socal is damn near impossible.

The assumption was that OP was talking about himself. To live by yourself in NYC and be young you need a financial cushion. Talking at least 40k that won't be touched for rent, grocery, bills just in case the worst happens. You do not want to live check to check in this city. I don't see how people manage to do that and remain sane.

Some of yall might need to relocate here to the south. You can easily rent a 3-4 bedroom house down here for $1000 or buy a nice foreclosed house for around $50k or less. I dont see how yall can afford to stay to live in some of the places yall are staying.

I'm making 51K in NYC, but I'm still living with my mom. She won't take rent money, so I'm saving 75% of my take home pay. Any halfway decent apartment is gonna be over $1,000/mo. Not doing the roommate thing tho, too much potential for drama.

Some of yall might need to relocate here to the south. You can easily rent a 3-4 bedroom house down here for $1000 or buy a nice foreclosed house for around $50k or less. I dont see how yall can afford to stay to live in some of the places yall are staying.

reminds me of the thread where I posted a what 3,000 per month lease would get you in the south because duke casually said that was his apt rent in Ny. Then dudes hit me with that closed off NY state of mind. That's a mansion in the south.

Last edited:
If there was any opportunity down there, more people would move. The employment situation is just as bad down South as it is in Cali and NY.

i havent relied on my parents for a single penny since i was 18. it was rough at first but life is alot easier now with a big future ahead of me :D

I haven't really seen this touched on but when you say move out do you mean with roommate(s) or by yourself? Moving out completely by yourself, especially here in Socal is damn near impossible.
up north too

and the 1500$ i quoted isnt in San Francisco... 1500$ is for the suburbs 30-40 min outside sf... 

this is what rent looks like in SF right now:

if its too small, heres the link: http://cdn1.uptownalmanac.com/cdn/f...lt/files/images-on-cdn/5-14-12uuugggghhhh.jpg

sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
mean.gif

I'm making 51K in NYC, but I'm still living with my mom. She won't take rent money, so I'm saving 75% of my take home pay. Any halfway decent apartment is gonna be over $1,000/mo. Not doing the roommate thing tho, too much potential for drama.

Ur definitely winning right now b, stash looking crazy :pimp:

Back
Top Bottom