Mercedes Benz Thread

Not gonna front the technology in the new S-Class is a game changer. The heads at Munich need to take notice...

I've always been a fan of the S-Class.

But the A8 will always be my favourite in that sedan class.

All those assists seem to take the "driving" out of driving a vehicle. The technology is impressive but a little intrusive, at least to me. We won't know until they are out on the road, though.

Can't wait to take a look at this in person and most likely trade my 08 s550 in for this

Last edited:

Can't wait to take a look at this in person and most likely trade my 08 s550 in for this
Dog hop on it soon, I work at a Benz dealer here in Indy and we're already at 40 pre-orders... and this is in Indianapolis. Had a dealer meeting a few weeks ago regarding this vehicle and I honestly would choose this over any full size luxury sedan in the world. ***** crazy man, better than a Bentley IMO

Dog hop on it soon, I work at a Benz dealer here in Indy and we're already at 40 pre-orders... and this is in Indianapolis. Had a dealer meeting a few weeks ago regarding this vehicle and I honestly would choose this over any full size luxury sedan in the world. ***** crazy man, better than a Bentley IMO
Yea, I like what i've seen in like 10 videos already but still wanna sit in the back for myself.  Was playing with the configurator and it looks like its gonna come out to like 130-135k for a s550 compared to when I got my 08 one for 106k loaded.  Guess they charging for all this tech but I need a sedan to be driven in, got too many coupes and a SUV already.  

Since u work there what u like most bout it?

Yea, I like what i've seen in like 10 videos already but still wanna sit in the back for myself.  Was playing with the configurator and it looks like its gonna come out to like 130-135k for a s550 compared to when I got my 08 one for 106k loaded.  Guess they charging for all this tech but I need a sedan to be driven in, got too many coupes and a SUV already.  

Since u work there what u like most bout it?
I like the rear seat massaging chair and the technology package the most. I think there's roughly 18 speakers inside the car if you get the technology package. My ***** thats gotta sound like you in the IMAX theatre. This model year, they've definitely focused on the technology inside the car though and its unreal. With all the options and what not, definitely going to be around $140K though. If you're looking to just be driven around in, look into the single pay lease option. More affordable up front cost and you don't have to pay for the depreciation that you would in contrast to owning/financing. Just depends on how often you drive the car

WSJ article on it:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB100...9055150121200912.html?mod=WeekendHeader_Right

Mercedes S550: A Technological Tour de Force Though its styling is far from a wow, the Mercedes S550 is a masterpiece of gadgetry and gee-whiz innovation

THE REDESIGNED 2014 Mercedes-Benz S-class, the serene, cetacean presence you see before you, this sack of krill, is probably the world's most technologically rich automobile.

Though the Mercedes-Benz S550 is far from being pretty, it could one day be pronounced the best car in the world, says Rumble Seat columnist Dan Neil.

The company's new flagship sedan/limousine/state car requires the services of 60 onboard computers, up to 100 servo motors (operating, among other things, the powered door and trunk closures, seat-belt tensioners, and the elaborate articulation of the seats), and more than 500 LED lighting units, from its taillamps to its (amazing, game-changing) headlamps. Under the flat, brooding instrument binnacle are two high-res, 12.3-inch TFT screens, arrayed cinema style in a single, broad bezel that, at night, floats in a pool of suffused LED backlighting, like something signed out from the Starfleet motor pool. Holy mother of awesome.

Photos: 2014 Mercedes-Benz S550

View Slideshow

Dan Neil/The Wall Street Journal
Click to view slideshow.

Gorden Wagener, Mercedes-Benz head of design, told me that the new S-class was the "best car in the world." I am not ready to make such a pronouncement, and I'd be unlikely to do so anyway about a car that looks like it was swallowed by a manatee. But the S-class is unquestionably a tour de force, a showy, almost arrogant display of auto-making genius (assuming it all holds together). The important thing here is Stuttgart's willingness to invoke "best car" verbiage, which historians associate with icons such as the Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost, Duesenberg SJ, Mercedes-Benz 300SL, Bugatti Veyron and—a late entry on the list—Tesla. Cheeky monkeys.

For four decades and five generations of the S-class, the car has traditionally been the company's technology icebreaker, introducing now-fundamental systems such as stability control and ABS braking, adaptive cruise control and adaptive body-roll control. In that time, S-class product planning has also become increasingly a victim of its own rhetoric, with each generation obliged to blow buyers' minds anew, sometimes with trivial, half-baked "technologies" (the shambolic first edition of the infrared night-vision system comes to mind).

This new car represents a genuine break with the past on several fronts, and they are, in descending order of importance: active safety; cabin materials and construction; in-cabin electronic functions and amenities. Indeed, the sheer weight of innovation in this car—more than 2,000 patents flutter in its slipstream—is itself theatrical, a message to consumers and competitors alike: A giant has awakened. Checkbooks, run for your lives.

It almost doesn't matter where you start. Would you like to know about the perfume injection integrated into the cabin air-filtration system, offering one of four fragrances (human-factors approved, I'm sure) held in a cut-glass reservoir in the glove compartment? German engineering meets John Waters's Odorama.

Here's a fun one: Magic Body Control, which uses stereoscopic cameras integrated into the windshield header to read the road ahead, looking for shadow and contrast that might indicate a perturbation in pavement, so it can instantly adjust the air suspension in anticipation of the bump. The "magic" part is that it seems to make speed bumps disappear.

“Pity about the styling. This isn't within 10,000 kilometers of 'pretty.'”
Among other things, Mercedes is attempting to reassert its incumbency as the safest car in the world. To that end, a fully equipped S550 (figure $135,000) is like a freaking Awacs plane, with the aforementioned stereo cameras, long-range thermal imaging (Night Vision Assist with active pedestrian illumination), and a dozen or so ultrasonic and radar-based sensors that create a multi-wavelength, 3-D map of the world around the car.

This "sensor fusion" is fed into the car's driver-assist systems, including: Distronic Plus; active lane-keeping; all-speed adaptive cruise control ("Stop and Go Pilot") that follows the flow of congested traffic without driver intervention; and active lane-departure correction, which nudges the car back in a lane via asymmetric application of the front brakes. These technologies, which Mercedes collectively calls "Intelligent Drive," basically give the car situational awareness.

Example: With its array of rear sensors, the car can detect the threat of an impending rear collision and react, by going into crash-hardening mode, cinching down the passenger seat belts, rolling the windows up, and locking the brakes, to reduce the delta-v—the violence of the crash, in other words—and minimize the risk of the car's being thrown forward into another vehicle or an intersection. In Euro-spec cars, the brilliant LED taillights strobe to alert the driver of the closing car (U.S. regs currently limit strobing lights to emergency and official vehicles).

I know what you're thinking: Who knew you could be this fascinated and bored at the same time? But the degree to which all this approaches a reliable, robust, autopilot feature—Mercedes goes so far as to use the phrase "semiautonomous"—makes the S-class historically significant. Daimler has invested heavily in driver-assist and crash-avoidance/mitigation-systems research over the past decade, as well as advanced research in human factors engineering. Now the company is beginning to commercialize these investments.

2014 Mercedes-Benz S550

Enlarge Image

Mercedes Benz
Base price: $92,900

Price, as tested: $125,000 (est)

Powertrain: Twin-turbocharged and intercooled direct-injection 4.6-liter V8; seven-speed torque converter automatic with multi-mode manual shift; rear-wheel drive with electronic limited-slip differential.

Horsepower/torque: 449 at 5,500 rpm; 516 pound-feet of torque at 1,800 rpm

Length/weight: 206.5 inches/4,500 pounds (est)

Wheelbase: 124.6 inches

0-60 mph:

Car sucks!!! 1997 S-class over everything!! Wow that technology sucks! I like the whole car but those headlights are horrible. My 99 civic is so much better.

I swear dudes on NT are funny, this is all i see when someone posts up pics of a new car. How are so many of you going to say this car is garbage meanwhile when it hits the streets everyone is going to be gassed on it, because lets face it....its the brand new Mercedes....it don't get sexier than that. :smh::smh::smh::smh::smh::smh:

This might be my pops next car, I have been pushing him to get an M5 but he likes the S class more. I don't think he will be able to figure out all the tech in there tho. Dude gets frustrated easily. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom