most undeserving MVP'S of any major sport

2012 nfl mvp adrian peterson

2097 yards, 12 tds, vikings finished 10-6

don't get me wrong it was great tv especially after that knee surgery. 12 tds? vikings record 10-6? yes he had a bunch of yards but they did not translate to tds or a top record in the nfc.

(flame suit on)
As long as you know it's not peyton.

don't get me wrong it was great tv especially after that knee surgery. 12 tds? vikings record 10-6? yes he had a bunch of yards but they did not translate to tds or a top record in the nfc.

(flame suit on)
i have no prob with AD winning the award. he drug that horrible vikings team into the playoffs with an amazing season. who should have won it then?
manning.

no its not because i am a broncos fan. manning could of been on the colts still and with the season he had and record, he should of got the mvp.

manning.

no its not because i am a broncos fan. manning could of been on the colts still and with the season he had and record, he should of got the mvp.

but how bad were the colts really? they went back to playoffs with a rookie under center. Ponder is a terrible QB. Peterson was the offense. Plus that rushing mark is very hard to achieve.

(flame suit on)
As long as you know it's not peyton.
rodgers had a case for the award as well but the 11-5 record hurt him in the votes.

Last edited:
manning.

but how bad were the colts really? they went back to playoffs with a rookie under center. Ponder is a terrible QB. Peterson was the offense. Plus that rushing mark is very hard to achieve.
peterson dragged the vikings to the playoffs no doubt. the season he had after knee surgery is incredible. nfl mvp though? nope.

peterson dragged the vikings to the playoffs no doubt. the season he had after knee surgery is incredible. nfl mvp though? nope.

and i dont think peyton deserved it either. especially with the way the colts bounced back. plus peyton came in to a team thay made the playoffs with tim tebow. then again manning robbed brees in 09 too but the coronation for manning as greatest all time that year was put on hold so we could have a parade in new orleans for the true MVP.

Brees shoulda won it in 09.

Its an entire different subject but Peyton manning is the most overhyped qb of our generation. Gets considered by some to be the greatest qb ever let has an 8-9 record in the playoffs. Regularly sees his teams lose to inferior teams in the playoffs. Losing 4 times at home in the divisional round with a first round bye, and 5 times at home in general, losing to a team 41-0 in the playoffs, losing to an 8-8 team in the playoffs. Being the patriots whipping boy in the 03 and 04 playoffs. Especially 04 after the colts cried about how physical New England was to their receiver and got the rules changed.

1 bad game, hell even 2 I could give a pass for, but him and his teams underachieve in January regularly.

Its an entire different subject but Peyton manning is the most overhyped qb of our generation. Gets considered by some to be the greatest qb ever let has an 8-9 record in the playoffs. Regularly sees his teams lose to inferior teams in the playoffs. Losing 4 times at home in the divisional round with a first round bye, and 5 times at home in general, losing to a team 41-0 in the playoffs, losing to an 8-8 team in the playoffs. Being the patriots whipping boy in the 03 and 04 playoffs. Especially 04 after the colts cried about how physical New England was to their receiver and got the rules changed.

1 bad game, hell even 2 I could give a pass for, but him and his teams underachieve in January regularly.

QFE

Steve McNair also deserved a solo MVP the year he split it.

and i dont think peyton deserved it either. especially with the way the colts bounced back. plus peyton came in to a team thay made the playoffs with tim tebow. then again manning robbed brees in 09 too but the coronation for manning as greatest all time that year was put on hold so we could have a parade in new orleans for the true MVP.
I think you are ignoring how much the schedule makes a difference here. 

Luck took over a terrible team that played a last place schedule in 2011.  So yes, while Luck had a great season and was a big reason they bounced back, he wasnt playing a hard schedule.  I think, even though Luck is very good, the Colts will have a much tougher time this year (first place schedule).

With your other example....yes....Tebow led the Broncos to the playoffs.  But again, the Broncos were playing a last place schedule that year.  They ended up winning the division, and getting Manning in the offseason.  The road to the playoffs was substantially harder in 2012 than in 2011.  So even though there was a clear upgrade at QB in 2012, you cant dismiss Manning's impact by simply looking at the Tebow led Broncos from the year before to draw that conclusion.  Manning had to play a first place schedule.  Tebow played a last.  And Mannings stats were unreal.

I think you are ignoring how much the schedule makes a difference here. 

Luck took over a terrible team that played a last place schedule in 2011.  So yes, while Luck had a great season and was a big reason they bounced back, he wasnt playing a hard schedule.  I think, even though Luck is very good, the Colts will have a much tougher time this year (first place schedule).

With your other example....yes....Tebow led the Broncos to the playoffs.  But again, the Broncos were playing a last place schedule that year.  They ended up winning the division, and getting Manning in the offseason.  The road to the playoffs was substantially harder in 2012 than in 2011.  So even though there was a clear upgrade at QB in 2012, you cant dismiss Manning's impact by simply looking at the Tebow led Broncos from the year before to draw that conclusion.  Manning had to play a first place schedule.  Tebow played a last.  And Mannings stats were unreal.

not dismissing manning in the least. hes a top 5 qb. but when the mvp race is too close to call hes gotten the nod virtually every time. they give him a pass because hes the great peyton manning. it would have been a travesty had peterson lost the mvp to manning imo. peterson works with so much less.

The Vikings without Adrian Peterson last year would be a 3-13, 4-12 team.

The broncos is they kept Tebow or had someone like mark Sanchez as the qb would be a 9-7, 10-6 team that would just rely more on their run game and solid defense.

The Vikings without Adrian Peterson last year would be a 3-13, 4-12 team.

The broncos is they kept Tebow or had someone like mark Sanchez as the qb would be a 9-7, 10-6 team that would just rely more on their run game and solid defense.
Just curious why you and many others on here, feel that it is acceptable to do this "if ___ team didnt have ____, they would be ____" hypothetical exercise with the NFL, but if someone tries to do it with the NBA, its not a reasonable argument?

My friends call me crazy when I say peyton is one of the most overrated QBs ever.

Dudes great, don't get me wrong.

But dudes ran thru a pretty bad division for 10 years, inflating his stats, etc...

And when it came down to the playoffs and the nitty gritty he couldn't do it.

Son always collapsed :smh:

And AD def deserved tha award Franc, don't let the media fool you.

hes still inflating his stats in a very bad division. nothing has changed.

Look at that 2002 San Antonio Spurs roster and convince yourself Tim Duncan didn't deserve the MVP that year. Duncan was no question the best player in basketball that season.
The argument is for his 2003 MVP though, not '02. The first one, yeah he deserved that. SA was already a perennial playoff team. Kidd gets traded to the Nets for Stephon Marbury (keep in mind the team was essentially the same save for rookies RJ, Scalabrine, and Twin)

00-01 = 26-56

01-02 = 52-30*

02-03 = 49-33*

* - Finals

Even throwing away the first year he got there and turned it around, you can't argue his impact and VALUE to that team, that he basically turned around. Now you can argue the East was horrid at that time, which is true vs. TD still having help with D Rob.

My friends call me crazy when I say peyton is one of the most overrated QBs ever.

But dudes ran thru a pretty bad division for 10 years, inflating his stats, etc...

View media item 551033

here he comes...

2005 Nash is the worst ever. In any sport. An MVP for 15/11? *face palm*. Shaq was robbed.

Last edited:
Just throwing this out there.. but some years, multiple people have been deserving of MVP.

12 tds, 10-6 record

he got the mvp because of the season he had after knee surgery. the wow factor. he was not the mvp.

12 tds, 10-6 record

he got the mvp because of the season he had after knee surgery. the wow factor. he was not the mvp.

any running back who plays on a team with a bad qb and makes the playoffs who puts up these exact numbers will win the mvp EVERY SINGLE YEAR. A running back is not measured by tds scored. on the goaline you tend to sit ur premier back now due to possible injury. running backs arent rushing for 25 tds a yr anymore. thats not why he was mvp. dragging out a defense for 60 minutes with first down after first down is why. They dont call him AD for nothing. But now they call him MVP too :D

Last edited by a moderator:
A few ones come to mind;

Pedro Martinez in 1999 should have won Cy Young & MVP
Matt Kemp over Ryan Braun
Iverson over Shaq

On a side note, Rose had a monster year when he won. 25 points, 7.5 assists and 4.0 rebounds and a record of 62-20.

Back
Top Bottom