Moving To NYC This Fall, Need Advice on Which Borough to Move to.

If dude's got 2300 to spend on rent, why in the f would he want to go to the BX when he works in manhattan? Stay away from the BX, OP, live it up in BK, Manhattan or Queens.

bad areas is where you'll find the best deals here. i'm in the bronx and i wouldn't recommend it to a cat from outta state. i'd say look at the downtown brooklyn area, the city from 96 down or wayyy uptown bronx, westside. bronx on the eastside is gettin worse and worse.

i'm terrible at recommending :smh:
Why not? Co op, Parkchester, or a spot on Williamsbridge in between Pelham Pkwy and Morris Park all are cool neighborhoods

of course theres some decent spots but lets keep it real, **** is gettin stupider everyday. you'd have to know where to look and for a dude coming from as far as he is, might not be so easy to land ....

again , i'm not great at this, just my 2 cents ...

I'm in BX and it's pretty quiet around me I got the D train and 4 train couple blocks from me also the express bus into city and hospitals also couple blocks up and gym just opened up also. But like was said not all neighborhoods are good in the BX.

Last edited:
bad areas is where you'll find the best deals here. i'm in the bronx and i wouldn't recommend it to a cat from outta state. i'd say look at the downtown brooklyn area, the city from 96 down or wayyy uptown bronx, westside. bronx on the eastside is gettin worse and worse.

i'm terrible at recommending :smh:
Why not? Co op, Parkchester, or a spot on Williamsbridge in between Pelham Pkwy and Morris Park all are cool neighborhoods

of course theres some decent spots but lets keep it real, **** is gettin stupider everyday. you'd have to know where to look and for a dude coming from as far as he is, might not be so easy to land ....

again , i'm not great at this, just my 2 cents ...

True I'm just saying Parkchester and Co op are dope communities, plus they just built that mall. A lot of people who work in Manhattan live here and just take the express bus to Midtown that's like 30 mins :lol:

Release a dope Asics collab that's not a rehash of old color blocking. Then maybe you could get that loft in trump towers b.

But serious rent a 1 room apt in jersey city, much cheaper than ny and commute to the city.

If dude's got 2300 to spend on rent, why in the f would he want to go to the BX when he works in manhattan? Stay away from the BX, OP, live it up in BK, Manhattan or Queens.

:lol: because the price of an apartment in a decent area of the BX cost the same as a room in a decent area in those other places? Not to mention dude didn't specify if he has 2300 solely for rent. He wouldn't be asking for reasonable rent and studios if his rental budget was 2,300. Sounds like a monthly budget.

I'm on Fordham Rd in the Bx you can find a decent 1 BedRoom for between 900 and 1200 and have at least half your funds left over to save or what have you. Decent area but does have it's pockets as long as you mind your own and don't mix with a certain crowd you would be fine.

If 2300 is his monthly budget, then all he can really do is roommate status.

If 2300 is his rent budget, he can get something reasonable wherever he wants.

If 2300 is his monthly budget, then all he can really do is roommate status.

If 2300 is his rent budget, he can get something reasonable wherever he wants.

If 2300 is his monthly budget he can get a studio or 1 bedroom in a building for no higher than 1200

Cable $100 (don't really need that just internet)

Electric $80 max

Food $250

Unlimited Metro $115

That leaves $555 .. not the best but he is fresh out of college and trying to live in one of the hardest cities to maintain

BedFord Park in the Bronx.

Riverdale is nice but its a gated jewish community at most times. You gonna need racks. 
Find some college kids and room there. @Manhantan College/ Fordham 

2.3k a month is gonna drive you up... If OP has a car, I reccomend Yonkers, or suburbs in queens. Bronx is nice, I hope you got street smarts 

If 2300 is his monthly budget he can get a studio or 1 bedroom in a building for no higher than 1200

Cable $100 (don't really need that just internet)

Electric $80 max

Food $250

Unlimited Metro $115

That leaves $555 .. not the best but he is fresh out of college and trying to live in one of the hardest cities to maintain
Damn bro OP needs that publication job to put that on paper..

/inb4 job scam

"nt i need money for a plane ticket back to indiana" 

OP hook me up with a PT

i have a 1,100 sq feet studio by Marcy Ave x Bedford Ave in brooklyn

Rent will be $7XX + down payment 

being broke in ur 20s is a normal thing though...NYC has lots of broke 20-somethings and they seem to enjoy each other's company...

go to nyc, be broke for a few years and enjoy it, because everyone gets married, moves to the suburbs, and has kids (which to say doesnt seem so bad, but everyone sometimes wishes for the simpler times)...amirite?

Last edited:
BedFord Park in the Bronx.
Riverdale is nice but its a gated jewish community at most times. You gonna need racks. 

Find some college kids and room there. @Manhantan College/ Fordham 

2.3k a month is gonna drive you up... If OP has a car, I reccomend Yonkers, or suburbs in queens. Bronx is nice, I hope you got street smarts 

OP can do an area like Kingsbridge which is right by the 1 train. You got Manhattan College there like you said, find some college dudes and split the rent.

Personally, I'd look into the Heights or Inwood. Little bit closer to Manhattan.

are the cheap(er) outer boros really that unbearable or are people just fixated on the astronomical costs of Manhattan to say things like "NYC is totally unlivable, youll be poor if a person lives there with only x amount?"

take somewhere like Brighton Beach in BK...its looks pretty far from Manhattan, but is it unlivable? i wouldnt know, ive only ever done the touristy **** around Manhatta

Thanks for all the advice so far. I should have stated my rent budget is a max of 2300, not including living expenses. I was offered a salary of 47,000 and from I can gather so far I wouldn't really be able to save any of that in Manhattan or some of the nicer borough's. 

Which leaves my options as New Jersey or @MrRolex's basement or @JohnnyRedStorm's shack.

Back
Top Bottom