Moving To NYC This Fall, Need Advice on Which Borough to Move to.

Find a place here in NJ near a PATH train to get into the city. It's cheaper and more space.

Thanks for all the advice so far. I should have stated my rent budget is a max of 2300, not including living expenses. I was offered a salary of 47,000 and from I can gather so far I wouldn't really be able to save any of that in Manhattan or some of the nicer borough's. 

Which leaves my options as New Jersey or @MrRolex
's basement or @JohnnyRedStorm
's shack.

$47000 salary and $2300/month rent do not compute.

2300 is more than enough to find an apartment.

1700 gets you a spot in Washington Heights. Use that extra $500 for hookah and Brugal to feed the birds.

Last edited:

1700 gets you a spot in Washington Heights. Use that extra $500 for hookah and Brugal to feed the birds.

OP's probably not planning on eating :rofl:

That's a decent salary, but your $2,300 budget for rent is insane. For that amount you might as well purchase a condo/apt. You can find a more than decent place to live for under $2K, it all depends on your personality and what lifestyle you are planning on living.

Last edited:

OP's probably not planning on eating butt :rofl:

That's a decent salary, but your $2,300 budget for rent is insane. For that amount you might as well purchase a condo/apt. You can find a more than decent place to live for under $2K, it all depends on your personality and what lifestyle you are planning on living.

Is OP getting his salary tax free? It's not adding up unless you don't spend a dime on anything else.

Thanks for all the advice so far. I should have stated my rent budget is a max of 2300, not including living expenses. I was offered a salary of 47,000 and from I can gather so far I wouldn't really be able to save any of that in Manhattan or some of the nicer borough's. 
$47000 salary and $2300/month rent do not compute.
Right. RF gonna be bringing home around $2750 after taxes per month and that's with no 401k contribution. 

Which leaves my options as New Jersey or @MrRolex's basement or @JohnnyRedStorm's shack.
I got an empty garage you can live out of in the bronx.

Niceish neighborhood and the 2,4,5 and D train are all easily accessible.

Let's say my budget is 2,300 a month or under.

didn't read the rest on the thread, only up to this post, but my friend has a Studio on 58th right by the Queens borough Bridge . Between 1st & 2nd. The rent is your budget at $2,300 month. Stainless steal appliances, new bathroom, very nice.

To describe the place: He just had a Halloween party comfortably with around 15 people.

hope this helps. it gives you an idea at least. good luck OP.

he was a suburb boy, but now loves the city.

EDIT: i see some people saying $2,300 won't get you anything, not true. :lol:

Last edited:
OP I wouldn't recommend the BX. I live in Castle Hill but the commute sucks, takes me about an hr and 10 mins to get to work(midtown). But mind you that is an extreme case as I don't live by a train. But you can find cheap places in the BX that are in decent areas without a terrible commute such as Moshoulu Pwky, Pelham Pwky or Riverdale but still I wouldn't recommended it for an out of towner. I would suggest a roommate in Crown Heights(closer to downtown BK), bedstuy, clinton hill or willamsburg in BK as they aren't too far from the city. Or you can get a bunch of roomates and live in manhattan, this chick I know has FOUR roommates and pays $1800 a month to live on 69th and Central Park West, its actually a decent size for an apt in NYC at that price.

But $2300/month & $47000/year really don't compute unless you plan on not eating or paying any other bills. Anywho good luck OP.

Op needs to keep it between 1200-1500 IMO. Keep it simple. Try queens along a train line or the bx. Commute will be wack but you want the life then you go through what anybody else does.

Like someone else said try Long Island city. Really and truly you need to be on craigslist. You can find a decent spot for less than what you're expecting for sure. Good luck.

Damn is this your first job? How you think 2300 is doable on a 47k salary? Like you get that all without taxes and other deductions. You're young, find roommates, 1200 max, and live in the city.

@basedjesus word... how much?

Honestly getting from the BX to Manhattan will run u about 25-1 hr depends where. It runs me about 45 to get to Manhattan. Its honestly not that bad.

If op can drive and afford a car it'll be way better but parking in the city might be a pain in the ***.

Aside from that op can always get $1 dumplings or pizza. He is a writer not much to eat for them

Don't understand why people feel the need to live in the city

I rather live close enough to it
laugh.gif
exactly....

^^^ :lol: I live in Forest Hills, and as long as I can get to the city within 45 minutes, I am good. It does take me a good hour and fifteen to get down town though.

On $47K just grab a studio in Queens and call it a day ... No luxury anything ...

OP is from Indiana and yall trying to send him to da bronx :lol:

I live in bensonhurst, Brooklyn. Its quiet/safe.

If you wanna come on down come on down.

Last edited:

's shack.

Who are you writing for? Journalism major about to graduate so very curious.

Yeah man, just go on craigslist and find a room in bushwick or bedstuy for 1200-1500 a month and call it a day.

I always grew up thinking a healthy rule of thumb in any economy is not to have your monthly rent be anything more than 1/3 your monthly salary. I know in NYC, that rule is not easy to keep, but if your spending more than half your annual salary on rent, you're definitely not saving any money and undoubtedly playing the game wrong.

's shack.

Not trying to tell u how to live ur life, but if ur pretax salary is 47k, you're looking at about 33k take home after taxes. A rent of 2300 = 27.6k/yr, meaning you'd have about 5.4k/year for expenses. That's $14.80/day. For food, insurance, transportation, medical bills, and anything else you'd ever buy. This is also assuming that the 2300 covers utilities and you don't plan on saving any money.

My best advice to you would be to find a roomate. You may be able to find a converted 1 bdrm, or a 2bdrm in Queens, Brooklyn, or Jersey City for

Back
Top Bottom