NBA Draft Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

Originally Posted by The Lowa

Thomas is over seas scouting Danilo Gallinari and Nicolas Batum. NYK fans what do you think about the idea of drafting one of the two players if we do not get the first or second pick?

Personally I would rather stay away from drafting a Euro in the lottery unless his name is Ricky Rubio. I can't comment on the 2 mentioned above because I haven't seen them play or read anything about them.

I can say that I have seen a lot of film on Batum I think he is going to be good I see a lot of Rudy Gay in him

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

Thomas is over seas scouting Danilo Gallinari and Nicolas Batum. NYK fans what do you think about the idea of drafting one of the two players if we do not get the first or second pick?

Personally I would rather stay away from drafting a Euro in the lottery unless his name is Ricky Rubio. I can't comment on the 2 mentioned above because I haven't seen them play or read anything about them.

I can say that I have seen a lot of film on Batum I think he is going to be good I see a lot of Rudy Gay in him

I couldn't tell you one european player in the NBA that resembles Rudy Gay's game

J Steezzz wrote:
prolly still salty about this....

�� This just made my stomack turn.

A. Houston = to us HEAT fans what M. Jordan = to Cavs fans.

Those were the days. True Rivalries

I hope the HEAT pick Beasley if posible

Originally Posted by dfresh244

Knicks need Jerryd Bayless

Yeah because shoot first/combo PG's is exactly what the Knicks need
laugh.gif

Actually I'm going for the Warriors. I'll be wearing my NT Shirt. The only problem I'm having is working on the face I'm going to make when weget the #2 pick.

Originally Posted by daprescription

Actually I'm going for the Warriors. I'll be wearing my NT Shirt. The only problem I'm having is working on the face I'm going to make when we get the #2 pick.

Just do tap tap pull and you'll be straight.

Originally Posted by koolbarbone

Originally Posted by daprescription

Actually I'm going for the Warriors. I'll be wearing my NT Shirt. The only problem I'm having is working on the face I'm going to make when we get the #2 pick.

Just do tap tap pull and you'll be straight.

laugh.gif
at both of these posts

off topic, but someone's out of pocket...............

capt.a55bce04a4e248ae9c9e0c10986cbbfc.heat_wade_workouts_basketball_cx104.jpg

Miami Heat guard Dwyane Wade, takes a break as he works out at Attack Athletics Friday, May 16, 2008, in Chicago. Wade is trying to regain the form that madehim the NBA finals MVP two years ago and trying to get in shape for the Olympics.

ESPNs Chad Ford on Love...
LOS ANGELES -- Every year, top NBA prospects go through a certain rite of passage. They leave behind their college teams, sign up with an NBA trainer and try, in the space of a few weeks, to quickly polish their games for NBA draft workouts.
Sometimes, the quick results can be a little hard to swallow. Players who couldn't shoot a lick in college are suddenly draining 3-pointers in an empty gym. Big men look like they have the handle of a point guard.

Prospects can blow you away in a few minutes, and you pinch yourself and wonder, why didn't they play that way in college?

However, I've been in enough gyms over the years to know that players can get a significant advantage to both their draft stock and rookie years if they get in the right program. Players can change and, with great trainers like a Tim Grover or a Joe Abunassar, the results can be impressive.

Over the next few weeks, I'll be traveling across the country checking in with some of the top prospects in the draft. On Thursday, the process began at the Home Depot Center in Los Angeles. UCLA big man http://insider.espn.go.com/nbadraft/draft/tracker/player?draftyear=2008&playerId=19130Kevin Love, Arizona swingman http://insider.espn.go.com/nbadraft/draft/tracker/player?draftyear=2008&playerId=19026Chase Budinger, UCLA defender Luc Richard Mbah a Moute and Colorado's http://insider.espn.go.com/nbadraft/draft/tracker/player?draftyear=2008&playerId=18887Richard Roby headlined the group led by Abunassar Impact Basketball's founder.

Here's my report from Day 1.
[h2]Kevin Love, PF, UCLA[/h2]
Love was the first player I wanted to see in this environment. We already know that he's one of the most skilled big men to ever enter the draft. His basketball skills, both in the paint and out on the perimeter, resemble those of an NBA veteran.

His basketball IQ is off the charts, his footwork is strong, his jump shot has range out to the NBA 3-point line, his outlet passes are legendary and he has a series of step-backs, up-and-unders and spins that made him one of the top 5 players in college basketball this season.

However, what Love has lacked is explosive athleticism and a chiseled, athletic body. As a freshman at UCLA, he often carried a spare tire around his waist. He seemed to run out of steam in up-tempo games and, at times, looked like he lacked the athleticism to excel in the pros.

Love's strengths and weaknesses have generated a huge debate among NBA scouts and executives about his NBA prospects. Sure, he knows how to play the game. But would that be enough in the up-and-down, breakneck pace of the NBA?

Abunassar has spent the past three weeks with Love and the results are really impressive. Love has lost 13 pounds since UCLA was bounced from the Final Four and he's starting to show muscle definition. He really is getting up and down the floor -- he went through a one-hour, fast-paced workout and finished with plenty of gas left in the tank.

Love is clearly in much better shape than he was at UCLA and it dramatically improves his game. He's more explosive getting off the floor. He moves better laterally. And he isn't sacrificing the trademark strength that made him one of the toughest big men in college basketball.

Abunassar said a mixture of conditioning and dietary changes have led to Love's improvements. He now eats structured meals several times a day and is working out roughly five to six hours a day. In addition, Abunassar is working on improving Love's flexibility and agility -- which has really helped with his quickness on both ends of the floor.

"Kevin has been working hard," Abunassar said. "And I still feel like we're scratching the surface. He's probably going to lose about five more pounds before Orlando [the NBA pre-draft combines that begin May 27] and we're still working on his explosiveness and flexibility. Every week he's looking better and better."

Love's confidence shines through on the floor. He's taking the lead in drills, encouraging everyone in the gym and going all-out on every drill.

After the workout, he said he's treating basketball like a job. "I want to come in to work every day and put in 100 percent. I know NBA teams expect a lot and I don't want to disappoint them. I love the game and I want to be the best player I can be."

Love admits that he struggled to stay in great shape at UCLA and said he felt that his eating habits were the primary problem. Love said he didn't eat a lot of junk food (thought he mentioned a fondness for chocolate milk) but that he ate large quantities at bad times. Now he's spreading out his meals and it makes a difference.

On Thursday, at least, Love didn't look like the slow, unathletic big man that many NBA scouts had pegged him. He was pretty nimble on his feet.

"I'm telling you right now, I'm going to shock a lot of people coming to the combines," Love said. "Whether it's jumping off the floor or the agility drill or the three-quarter court sprint."

Watching Love work out and seeing his confidence has pushed me to rethink his draft stock. If he goes into pre-draft combines in great shape and shows he has the requisite athleticism and quickness to be a full-time NBA power forward, Love could really move up the board -- possibly in the 5-to-10 range in the draft.

We've already identified the Bobcats, Bulls and Pacers as possibilities. A few other teams higher up in the draft like the Grizzlies and Sonics might also have to give him serious consideration.

[h2]Chase Budinger, G/F, Arizona[/h2]
Budinger has less to prove in an environment like this. We already know Budinger is an excellent athlete with explosive leaping ability. He's rumored to have a 44-inch vertical jump, and the way he got up in the workouts led me to believe that it's possible.

He also has a rep as a lights-out shooter. He gets great elevation on his jump shot which should make it easy for him to get his shot off in the pros. I got to spend some time watching Budinger shoot from the NBA 3-point line and he looks like he'll make the adjustment just fine. He was even nailing some step-back 3s during one drill.

Fundamentally, Budinger has just about every offensive skill you'd ask for in a swingman, and he has excellent size for his position.

Budigner should really help himself in NBA workouts. The question he really can't answer in an environment like this is his aggressiveness. Budinger drew criticism throughout the year for, at times, disappearing on the floor.

Budinger can take over games, as the Kansas Jayhawks saw in the regular season. But other times he seemed content to defer to his teammates. For someone of his talent, that's raised some concerns.

Abunassar said he's not worried. "Chase has been working so hard, I just don't think you can read indifference into it. He cares. He really wants this. He's just the type of guy who is smooth and gets along with everyone. He wants everyone to succeed. I think he's going to be really good."

Budinger said he's still testing the draft waters and could return to Arizona for his junior season, but indicated that right now, his focus is on preparing for workouts with an eye toward staying in the draft.

"The biggest factor for me will be whether I'm ready or not for the draft," he said. "Draft status is a big deal, but it's not a huge deal for me. It's mostly to see if I'm mature and ready for the NBA."

We've had Budinger as high as No. 7 and as low as No. 16 on our Big Board. I expect he's the type of player who will help himself in draft workouts. He's just too skilled and athletic to ignore. I think at the end of the day, he's a likely lottery pick. He'd be great on a team like the Blazers or Suns (who hold the No. 15 pick via Atlanta), if they decide to continue to push the ball.

[h2]Luc Richard Mbah a Moute, F, UCLA[/h2]
Mbah a Moute was considered a potential lottery prospect after his freshman year, but his lack of development on the offensive end of the floor has hurt his stock.

Mbah a Moute remains one of the best defenders in the draft. He should have the ability to defend both 2s and 3s in the pros with his excellent combination of length, athleticism, lateral quickness and strength.

He's spent most of the past month trying to find a midrange jump shot. On Thursday, I saw improvements and even some range from the NBA 3-point line. It's clear he's really been working on his mechanics and it's beginning to pay off. However, he still has a ways to go before NBA teams are going to be convinced he can hit that shot in an NBA game with consistency.

If he can get on an up-and-down team and find a coach who sees a little Bruce Bowen in him, Mbah a Moute should find a home in the league. I don't think he'll be a first-rounder, but he's making the right adjustments to find a long-term home in the league.

Chad Ford covers the NBA for ESPN Insider.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draf...ry?columnist=ford_chad&page=DraftWatch-080516

We already know that he's one of the most skilled big men to ever enter the draft
We do?
laugh.gif

indifferent.gif

Just in this draft, Beasley is more skilled...but because he is also extremely talented and gifted...I guess he doesn't warrant the 'skilled'description.

But they'll throw it on the non athletic players.

Give me a break.

Originally Posted by Enlightened Thought

the kings are sending a fan
laugh.gif
roll.gif

Officially, Parilo won because her entry was selected from the original batch of 192 written submissions, because she received a significant percentage of the 17,419 fan votes cast for the video presentations of the six finalists, and because during the "lottery" conducted last Sunday at Chris Webber's Center Court restaurant, the ping-pong balls bounced her way.
source

Originally Posted by I NaSmatic I

Originally Posted by Enlightened Thought

the kings are sending a fan
laugh.gif
roll.gif
Officially, Parilo won because her entry was selected from the original batch of 192 written submissions, because she received a significant percentage of the 17,419 fan votes cast for the video presentations of the six finalists, and because during the "lottery" conducted last Sunday at Chris Webber's Center Court restaurant, the ping-pong balls bounced her way.
source

I would die if she won the lottery, give her a job.
laugh.gif

I can really see OJ Mayo going to the Heat... Him and D Wade can beast together.. But IDK we'll see.

I think Bayless would be a better fit for the Heat. I just hope it breaks down with the Knicks getting Rose and the Heat with either Beasley or Bayless.

Back
Top Bottom