Need help on how to dispute a credit report item.

I recently found out that I have a judgment in the district court for 2000 dollars owed on a hospital bill. However, I never stayed in a hospital and when I called the billing department, they didn't have a record for me, but one for my cousin. Here is where things get confusing. My uncle, his son (the cousin), and I all have the same name except for the middle initial. The debt is for my cousin based on the information billing gave me. We have the same name and the same birthday 10 years apart (me-10/19/83 him-10/19/93) and the debt is in my uncles name, since my cousin is a minor.

I disputed the debt with transunion online, but they said that it was verified by the debtor and that it will be considered frivolous unless I can show a court document or a letter from the debtor saying what needs to be changed. This isn't the first time this has happened. In 2002, I began to lose 50 out of each pay for child support on my uncles child because they "mixed us up". That was corrected though.

The question I have is, what should I mail to them? Can I send a letter explaining the mix up and a copy of the court paper. I can get the necessary info from my uncle, but I don't want this to turn into a run around situation, since I'm trying to buy a car and this is holding back my credit score. Any help would be appreciated.

I recently found out that I have a judgment in the district court for 2000 dollars owed on a hospital bill. However, I never stayed in a hospital and when I called the billing department, they didn't have a record for me, but one for my cousin. Here is where things get confusing. My uncle, his son (the cousin), and I all have the same name except for the middle initial. The debt is for my cousin based on the information billing gave me. We have the same name and the same birthday 10 years apart (me-10/19/83 him-10/19/93) and the debt is in my uncles name, since my cousin is a minor.

I disputed the debt with transunion online, but they said that it was verified by the debtor and that it will be considered frivolous unless I can show a court document or a letter from the debtor saying what needs to be changed. This isn't the first time this has happened. In 2002, I began to lose 50 out of each pay for child support on my uncles child because they "mixed us up". That was corrected though.

The question I have is, what should I mail to them? Can I send a letter explaining the mix up and a copy of the court paper. I can get the necessary info from my uncle, but I don't want this to turn into a run around situation, since I'm trying to buy a car and this is holding back my credit score. Any help would be appreciated.

You can either send a letter or call and get it handled. You need to identify one person in the company who will work with you and you need to inform all three credit agencies of each and every step that is going on... Now is the time to become that pesky grandmother who calls the school when children walks in her yard from school.

You can either send a letter or call and get it handled. You need to identify one person in the company who will work with you and you need to inform all three credit agencies of each and every step that is going on... Now is the time to become that pesky grandmother who calls the school when children walks in her yard from school.

Back
Top Bottom