Next Gen Xbox Reveal Confirmed for May 21

From wired just posted at 1:30 pm:

There’s one feature of Xbox One from which we can infer quite a few conclusions: You can install any game from the disc to the console’s hard drive, and then play that game whenever you like without having to put the disc in.

Wired asked Microsoft if installation would be mandatory. “On the new Xbox, all game discs are installed to the HDD to play,” the company responded in an emailed statement. Sounds mandatory to us.

What follows naturally from this is that each disc would have to be tied to a unique Xbox Live account, else you could take a single disc and pass it between everyone you know and copy the game over and over. Since this is clearly not going to happen, each disc must then only install for a single owner.

Microsoft did say that if a disc was used with a second account, that owner would be given the option to pay a fee and install the game from the disc, which would then mean that the new account would also own the game and could play it without the disc.

That isn't as bad as having to have online activity to play. I wonder if it will be the entire game, or just parts of the game that you will need to actually run the game? People going to be running through HDDs the size of games are getting now.

Edit: It just has to be tied to an account and not actually online to verify the account....right? :rolleyes

Last edited:

There’s one feature of Xbox One from which we can infer quite a few conclusions: You can install any game from the disc to the console’s hard drive, and then play that game whenever you like without having to put the disc in.

Wired asked Microsoft if installation would be mandatory. “On the new Xbox, all game discs are installed to the HDD to play,” the company responded in an emailed statement. Sounds mandatory to us.

What follows naturally from this is that each disc would have to be tied to a unique Xbox Live account, else you could take a single disc and pass it between everyone you know and copy the game over and over. Since this is clearly not going to happen, each disc must then only install for a single owner.

Microsoft did say that if a disc was used with a second account, that owner would be given the option to pay a fee and install the game from the disc, which would then mean that the new account would also own the game and could play it without the disc.
so would that mean u cant take ur game to a friend or relatives house to play if ur on vacation or something

Granted this isn't E3, that said this keynote pales in comparison to the Playstation keynote.

How the hell did you figure that... they didn't even show the ******g system nor any in game gameplay just cutscenes like every other company.

System reveal wise - M$ > Sony... ten fold.

I mean really the Xbox One wants to be my laptop.
It wants to make it so you don't need to hook your laptop up to your TV ever again. I run my laptop through my TV with an HDMI daily, and so does everyone I know. Makes perfect sense to me for Microsoft to target that use-case. 

All that being said, I'm never buying a console again. Don't really game anymore.

I really don't think exclusives are what drive console demand anymore. The average person isn't buying an XBOX for Forza or a PS4 for Killzone, and the people who care that much about exclusives almost always end up buying both consoles eventually. 

I dunno. GT5 sold over 10 million and Halo 4 sold 4 million in it's first month and is still in charts everywhere.

That's a lot for games on one platform. I say exclusives still matter

Only exclusives now are first party. Sony has a lot more first party games but MS sells more with just Halo. So its a toss up
solid snake would like to disagree

Metal Gear is not a first party, it was a third

Metal Gear Solid games are now on the Xbox.

Can we talk about how big that thing looked? I mean it look almost as big as the OG Xbox...
It does look gigantic.
laugh.gif

I like the design though.

Last edited:

so would that mean u cant take ur game to a friend or relatives house to play if ur on vacation or something

how many people a tually do that now though? Thats not going to be a huge deterrent

'

What do you want to know? I don't know about the production model, I can only speak about the latest dev kits.

from what ive read, leaks are accurate and theyve been locked for well over year

I guess what I can add from this image is:

View media item 421213
-Runs on the latest WinRT framework as well as interfaces with Windows Phone Runtime
-DDR3 ram
-GPU is clocking at 800 Mhz
-CPU is a 1.6 Ghz clock, 8 cores was already announced
-There's been a discrepancy as there has been 4MB and 8MB cache but the latest kits have 4MB
-SATA 2.0 drive

Last edited:
I really don't think exclusives are what drive console demand anymore. The average person isn't buying an XBOX for Forza or a PS4 for Killzone, and the people who care that much about exclusives almost always end up buying both consoles eventually. 

I dunno. GT5 sold over 10 million and Halo 4 sold 4 million in it's first month and is still in charts everywhere.

That's a lot for games on one platform. I say exclusives still matter

Only exclusives now are first party. Sony has a lot more first party games but MS sells more with just Halo. So its a toss up
solid snake would like to disagree

Metal Gear is not a first party, it was a third

Metal Gear Solid games are now on the Xbox.
i know its 3rd party i quated where it said only exclusives are now 1st party

Granted this isn't E3, that said this keynote pales in comparison to the Playstation keynote.

How the hell did you figure that... they didn't even show the ******g system nor any in game gameplay just cutscenes like every other company.

''

PS4 showed gameplay.

What difference does showing the console make? It's going to be a black box. Big whoop. I want to see games.

Last edited:

how many people a tually do that now though? Thats not going to be a huge deterrent
i do when i go to a friends house or when my kids wanna take a game to their friends house to play. u forget kids do that alot

I mean really the Xbox One wants to be my laptop.
It wants to make it so you don't need to hook your laptop up to your TV ever again. I run my laptop through my TV with an HDMI daily, and so does everyone I know. Makes perfect sense to me for Microsoft to target that use-case. 

All that being said, I'm never buying a console again. Don't really game anymore.

I stream my stuff from my laptop to my tv....

Sorry if this has been asked already but what's the difference between the XboxOne and the PS4?   Also which one is gonna have better graphics and more in depth game play?

''

PS4 showed gameplay.

What difference does showing the console make? It's going to be a black box. Big whoop. I want to see games.

swen has a point. Who cares what the physical box looks like. I want to see games and game play but I can see why they did so little with E3 around the corner.

Always had a PS since the 1st in the 90s..never hadda Xbox..played Xbox and hated the controller and constant bad connection i was getting..was lookin to see if id make the change over..and as of right now im still gonna stay with the PS4

Sorry if this has been asked already but what's the difference between the XboxOne and the PS4?   Also which one is gonna have better graphics and more in depth game play?

MS didn't reveal the specs for the One but from the devkits leaked, the PS4 is more powerful but I'm sure the One will have more TV features

We still debating the 360 and PS3 on those subjects. No way we'll know this after a couple press releases.

Back
Top Bottom