Next Gen Xbox Reveal Confirmed for May 21

Microsoft has confirmed the former rumors about the big next-gen Xbox reveal for May 21 by sending out digital invitations.

The next-gen Xbox will officially be unveiled on May 21, 2013 at 10:00 AM, from a Microsoft private event held in Redmond, Washington.

We can't WAIT to learn what the next Xbox will have in store for us.  We'd also like to know its official name.  Judging by the invitation, it'll just be 'XBOX'.  Check out the invitation, below. 

nextxboxinvite.jpg

Source: Den of Geek

Last edited:
I thought Microsoft said they were going to hold off for awhile before going to the next gen? Maybe I heard wrong.

Truth be told, I'm not excited. The industry has become too corporate.

I thought Microsoft said they were going to hold off for awhile before going to the next gen? Maybe I heard wrong.

Truth be told, I'm not excited. The industry has become too corporate.
See: Indie Games.

lol

But you're right, for the most part.  I see games come out that should never see the light of day...like Aliens Colonial Marines. Hot Doo Doo.

I'll go ahead and confirm right now that it has hardware backwards compatibility and that they'll be showing off two new devices. It's running the latest WinRT framework so that should be a good clue to the OS it's using. Don't expect a world of change with the controller just tweaks.

That's all I can say.

I am a ps guy but I am excited to see this. The great thing I have heard so far about the ps4 is that indie developers love it so I am hoping the architecture for the xbox is as easy to work with.

I'll go ahead and confirm right now that it has hardware backwards compatibility and that they'll be showing off two new devices. It's running the latest WinRT framework so that should be a good clue to the OS it's using. Don't expect a world of change with the controller just tweaks.

That's all I can say.

Wow this is interesting.

Rumors i heard were that it was leaning toward "must be online" to play and no disc drive at all. So backwards compatibility would be nice. 2 new devices? like the xbox room projector thing? and some sort of xbox glass talk maybe?

Did ps4 confirm anything about backwards compatibility?

That's all I can say.
The next gen XBox already has a leg up on the PS4 in my eyes with this news.

I'm a Playstation guy, but I'm interested in seeing what the next gen XBox has to offer.

That's all I can say.
That's whassup.  Glad to hear they're using the WinRT framework.  Looks like M$ is getting closer to the "play Xbox games on all devices" on Xbox, tablet, PC, smartphone with cross-operability.  I'm looking forward to the Kinect 2 as well.  It had so much potential with the first one but hopefully they got it right this time. M$ always seems to get it half right on the first version of their products but do it right the second time around.  I'm glad they're not changing too much with the controller. Controller is fine imo. 

That's all I can say.
Wow this is interesting.

Rumors i heard were that it was leaning toward "must be online" to play and no disc drive at all. So backwards compatibility would be nice. 2 new devices? like the xbox room projector thing? and some sort of xbox glass talk maybe?

Did ps4 confirm anything about backwards compatibility?
Technically no.

But Sony purchased a company called Gakai which offers a streaming service, and it is believed that through them Sony can make the PS4 backwards compatible in a sense by streaming PS3 games through that service..

All I care about is whether it has this "always on" crap with regards to the Internet connection and if all my games will be useless if my console breaks down. As soon as it's officially confirmed, I'm officially done with Xbox. I love Xbox and I wouldn't have believed that they could give me a reason to go away from it, but if "always on" is really true, I'm done with them.

I'm a Playstation guy, but I'm interested in seeing what the next gen XBox has to offer.

Dont see it as a leg up since not many people play older games on next gen system. I am looking forward to this event thought

I wonder if they will have a regular Xbox and subscription based model.

All I care about is whether it has this "always on" crap with regards to the Internet connection and if all my games will be useless if my console breaks down. As soon as it's officially confirmed, I'm officially done with Xbox. I love Xbox and I wouldn't have believed that they could give me a reason to go away from it, but if "always on" is really true, I'm done with them.
I'm just guessing but I'm thinking this "always on" thing is just like the Apple TV.  You can't turn the Apple TV off, you can just put it in "sleep" mode.  And for the Xbox if your internet goes down, it won't mean your games with discs or games that's saved to your hard drive won't work. 

Xbox Mini

The “Xbox Mini” is not a 360 add-on, it is a stand alone product that contains Xbox 360 functions for gaming, and alone it is meant to compete with Apple TV. Since it is likely it will not have a disc drive, it is being designed with “always online” in mind, and with internet being required for Live functions. Xbox 360 Games can be played on it by purchasing Games on Demand on Xbox Live (for new purchases) or if already purchased, simply download it. This also applies to music and movies. To further clarify, the Durango will also have these (TV) functions, just with next-genration gaming hardware instead of Xbox 360 at a higher price.

When used with Durango, it offers connectivity with it for backwards compatibility with both disc based and On Demand games, and it’s no more different than what Sony will be doing with Gaikai for playing PS3 games on PS4, only with Xbox it will be done locally and not through the cloud. You can control the Xbox Mini under a single interface and not have to worry about switching between devices in a single display input.

These connectivity functions cannot work with existing Xbox 360 units due to the difference in external interface. The Xbox Mini was designed for this along side Durango

Getting to the point there are going to be two console as part of the redesigned “Xbox Line” of products. A repackaged and reoriented Xbox 360 unit and the new “Durango” gaming console, both designed to compete with more than Sony in gaming, but against Apple as well.

When the Durango (game machine) launches, it will not support backwards compatibility for 360 games out of the box. Instead, this functionality will come from the other unit that will be networked with the Durango to provide this (not unlike the DVD add-on for the original Xbox).

The purpose of the smaller Xbox unit is to compete with Apple TV, but also provides XBLA and 360 game support which will give it an edge over Apple TV. The rumors of “always online required” comes from the smaller Xbox unit which may not have a disc drive and like Apple TV it would require a network connection and internet to provide any real functionality. It may be possible they will design both consoles to be stackable.

http://www.vgleaks.com/microsoft-xbox-roadmap-2013/

This is what Hybrid is refering too when he mentions two devices. Backwards compatibility will be done through a ($99 dollar) xbox360 mini which will connect to the XBox 720 if you want backwards compatibility and the TV features. It's a good way to deal with backwards compatibility but still not the ideal way.

I think what everyone is waiting for is the always online news but I don't think MS will do it even though rumors about it haven't stopped.

http://www.vgleaks.com/microsoft-xbox-roadmap-2013/

This is what Hybrid is refering too when he mentions two devices. Backwards compatibility will be done through a ($99 dollar) xbox360 mini which will connect to the XBox 720 if you want backwards compatibility and the TV features. It's a good way to deal with backwards compatibility but still not the ideal way.

I think what everyone is waiting for is the always online news but I don't think MS will do it even though rumors about it haven't stopped.

I think the "TV features" are baked in the "Durango" you won't need the mini for that...

and if you buy the "durango" and want backwards compatibility you have to buy the mini? Am I getting that right?

Durango itself will also always be online like any other device (correct with rumors), but it will not be a requirement to play local content and it will not prevent playing used games. Putting in an Xbox 360 disc into Durango will prompt the user to attach the supporting device that is sold separately. By separating the two devices and their functions it will ensure price competitiveness for both pieces of hardware

Last edited:
I'm still waiting for TV type oackage for a system to come out. If they can eliminate the need for cable service.... I'm all in

Last edited:
I HATE these announcement of an announcement type of things
There's really no need to be mad because the console would release at it's predetermined date, regardless of the announcement of an annoncement.

On the other hand, announcements of movies 3-5 years before they even come out.
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

Back
Top Bottom