Nike Air Jordan Retro Metallic V - 7/23/16

I'm not surprised by all these trolls :lol:

These are the same people who prefer the Ashy Larry material on OG colorways over durabuck because it's more "premium" :smh:
I could care less about how the shoe feels as long as the material is comfortable, relatively durable and looks appropriate. I'm simply pointing out that OGs are not on a pedestal, are not high quality, and that many had issuss that were later corrected in their first retros

At the same time, I somewhat dislike half-baked retros like the ones Gentry Brand pumped out in 2010-2013 and I don't support price gouging. But as a former owner of 2 pairs of OG's, I think I can rest my point.

Last edited:

These are the same people who prefer the Ashy Larry material on OG colorways over durabuck because it's more "premium" :smh:
I could care less about how the shoe feels as long as the material is comfortable, relatively durable and looks appropriate. I'm simply pointing out that OGs are not on a pedestal, are not high quality, and that many had issuss that were later corrected in their first retros. I somewhat dislike half-baked retros like the ones Gentry Brand pumped out in 2010-2013 and I don't support price gouging. But as a former owner of 2 pairs of OG's, I think I can rest my point.

Yes you can rest you point, please do.

I love the 2016 cement 4s but...

This...

9656e20a_image.jpeg

will never beat this...

c22de7a4_image.jpeg
Only thing I see here is a higher tongue(none issue to me) and better speckles on 2016 and a better shoe in 2016.

So JB takes off 25% the shoe and now the new retros are better?? :rofl:

Last edited:
Bordeaux's, Aqua's, Black Infrareds, White cements and Metallics. Day what you want about them being hypebeast choices but I love the aesthetics of each shoe and it's history.

Bordeaux's, Aqua's, Black Infrareds, White cements and Metallics. Day what you want about them being hypebeast choices but I love the aesthetics of each shoe and it's history.

Ain't nothing hypebeast about those shoes. All classics and some of the best shoes ever made.

Ain't nothing hypebeast about those shoes. All classics and some of the best shoes ever made.
Amen.

So JB takes off 25% the shoe and now the new retros are better?? :rofl:
The mid top AJ4 has a certain look to it, compared to the low. I like it, but I also happen to prefer the 1999's speckling over the shotgun blast one on the 2016 or the one on the 89.

The two are different in their own way. The only reference is a general sillhouete, and I form my opinion regardless of which one was worn in MJ's glory days. Also, the quality card doesn't work anymore, as there was never a high standard set all the way back in the 80's.
Paper thin 80's synthetic leather and some plastic isn't amazing, but neither are their 1999 and 2016 adaptations.

It's like saying the AF1 mid is a disgrace to the high.

Last edited:

I'm not surprised by all these trolls
laugh.gif

These are the same people who prefer the Ashy Larry material on OG colorways over durabuck because it's more "premium"
mean.gif
I could care less about how the shoe feels as long as the material is comfortable, relatively durable and looks appropriate. I'm simply pointing out that OGs are not on a pedestal, are not high quality, and that many had issuss that were later corrected in their first retros

At the same time, I somewhat dislike half-baked retros like the ones Gentry Brand pumped out in 2010-2013 and I don't support price gouging. But as a former owner of 2 pairs of OG's, I think I can rest my point.
While I agree with you. It is hard to take your opinion when you've never owned originals in their initial drop. Now owning 2 retros makes it acceptable to pass judgement on all? How would it sound if I said all women are a certain way if I only dated a few.

Yes they made nice cosmetic changes, ONLY in the 94, 99-2003 era do I find those changes acceptable. Quality never got better than their predecessor on those tho. I'll just give you the 94 1s cuz the collar fix. Aside from that nah. I wouldnt put the OGs on a pedestal when it comes to looks all the time necessarily. But quality, JB was pumping out A1 ish at that time. With todays tech the retros should be lightyears ahead in all depts, but JB cant even touch their own primitive stages.

Last edited:

While I agree with you. It is hard to take your opinion when you've never owned originals in their initial drop. Now owning 2 retros makes it acceptable to pass judgement on all? How would it sound if I said all women are a certain way if I only dated a few.

Yes they made nice cosmetic changes, ONLY in the 94, 99-2003 era do I find those changes acceptable. Quality never got better than their predecessor on those tho. I'll just give you the 94 1s cuz the collar fix. Aside from that nah. I wouldnt put the OGs on a pedestal when it comes to looks all the time necessarily. But quality, JB was pumping out A1 ish at that time. With todays tech the retros should be lightyears ahead in all depts, but JB cant even touch their own primitive stages.

But he said he owned 2 pairs of OG's right in the post you quoted.

Yeh, buh we wasnt clear. Owned them when they 1st dropped? OR owned em years down the road when they were already aged 

Last edited:

This is what ends up happening majority of the time tho lol especially what was talked about in the earlier pages with the hot garbage thin EP the OG 3s have. 

That comparision fails. It's like taking a crappy grained cult classic film from the 80s and giving it the 8K scanned Criterion edition in super digital HD Blu-ray
Its more like the 1997 special edition Star Wars remaster compared to the original film without CGI. 

No one here has the balls to say those Star Wars re-releases were better than the originals. 

Honestly, for the price they charge, we should. There's no mystique of these being some top of the line, bleeding edge shoes. I sure know that Reebok Pump retros aren't going for $400 retail.

I do see tradeoffs in the OG vs 94/99+ Retros, netting on the 4's and 5 for better buck being a great example.

However, I don't see these shoes as some sort of static mold that should never change. There have been tasteful changes like the TB3 midsole or 94 III mold, and experimenting each time they drop is welcome in my eyes unless it's universally disliked (e.g super clown toes or off colors).

They were both about 21-22 years old when I got them. I got them when I was 15, and the BI 6's were certainly beat (120 wears minimum), I'd say the Grapes were around 40-60 wears as they had the San Andreas fault on the ankle puffs. Beat both into the ground during HS.

Last edited:

This is what ends up happening majority of the time tho lol especially what was talked about in the earlier pages with the hot garbage thin EP the OG 3s have. 
Thats where I agree w em. But then he said quality wasnt that good on Ogs, thats where it stopped. Jawns were court shoes in the day, now casuals. Do the math.

Yeh, buh we wasnt clear. Owned them when they 1st dropped? OR owned em years down the road when they were already aged 

Oh, that I don't know.
laugh.gif
Nah u good fam. I was not eem clear enough. 

Thats where I agree w em. But then he said quality wasnt that good on Ogs, thats where it stopped. Jawns were court shoes in the day, now casuals. Do the math.

Nah u good fam. I was not eem clear enough. 
I can't attest to the court performance as I wasn't around back then, nor do I b-ball. I also do notice things such as the 3's/4's losing padding and height to blend in a sea of low top casuals. The cost cutting on 11's is also obvious and that's an unwinnable war.

The issue with modern retros is more on the QC (glue, misstitchings, unfilled air units) side from what I see. But aside from the dark era of 2009-2014, the materials used weren't inferior in my eyes.

Last edited:
Mars was kinda annoying, Not Actually Banned (Air Ship Retro now), Hare Jordan and that 11 ad killed it tho.

I love the 2016 cement 4s but...

This...

9656e20a_image.jpeg

will never beat this...

c22de7a4_image.jpeg

if your a og head and grew up in the 80s and had them, then of course i understand where your coming from,,but from someone with my point of view that wasn't born at that time and never seen them or owned them, i can't be a poser and claim the og's are the best,, so for me the 99s and 2016s are my ****[emoji]9829[/emoji]️,, let's just all agree the 89,99,&16s are[emoji]128293[/emoji][emoji]128293[/emoji][emoji]128293[/emoji][emoji]128175[/emoji] and the 2012s are straight garbage . :rofl:

Back
Top Bottom