Nike Air Jordan Retro Metallic V - 7/23/16

the new toe boxes are too bulky. Original molds were better aesthetically and that is a scientific fact.
i didn't start getting into Jordans till the og XI's, but i prefer the rounder toe box (not steel boot toe, but you get what i mean). just personal preference, not a fact. i can only speak for myself, but comparing the remastered cement 4 vs the og shape; i prefer the remastered. the og looks too much like a wedge to me. i was too young to care or remember anything about the 3s or the 4s.

Here's the thing though. You guys want something most of you already had time and time again because that's what you remember and love but your argument against the OG shape is that Nike shouldn't backtrack and go back to a mold that they've improved upon on the retro even though you most likely didn't own the OG when it came out to make that call... 

So as far as the 3's go for example, why would you guys want the same old retro mold when you could potentially have what would basically be a new shoe for you as far as you're concerned? If you've never had the thin elephant print toe rand why not change it up and see how it feels in person and on foot instead of basing your opinion on a few 30 year old pics mixed with pics of crumbled and deflated OGs? It keeps the status quo when you prefer the cheaper made reincarnate.

The whole argument seems sort of hypocritical to me.

Last edited:
The horse dies when we see official pics, until then its up for debate. Furthermore our discussion could alter Nike's future retro plans for all we know. Small chance but its still possible.

Tennis ball-ed durabuck is when the outer layer flakes or peels off leaving the felt backing underneath visible. An example would be a picture of beat up OG metallic Vs where the black is missing and in its place is that gray cotton material that resembles whats on tennis balls.

Last edited:
Beaten and mutilated.

What does it mean to "tennis ball" durabuck?
When chipped nikebuck/durabuck is stripped with a knife, and then painted up. It's a common restoration technique.

Last edited:
Here's the thing though. You guys want something most of you already had time and time again because that's what you remember and love but your argument against the OG shape is that Nike shouldn't backtrack and go back to a mold that they've improved upon on the retro even though you most likely didn't own the OG when it came out to make that call... 

So as far as the 3's go for example, why would you guys want the same old retro mold when you could potentially have what would basically be a new shoe for you as far as you're concerned? If you've never had the thin elephant print toe rand why not change it up and see how it feels in person and on foot instead of basing your opinion on a few 30 year old pics mixed with pics of crumbled and deflated OGs? It keeps the status quo when you prefer the cheaper made reincarnate.

The whole argument seems sort of hypocritical to me.
I don't see how making the elephant print rise up on the retros makes them cheaper than the OGs. And the thin elephant print is a comment about aesthetics not about perceived fit. In fact, most if the comments against OGs are about aesthetics. I'm glad people aren't praising the OGs anymore, it's redundant. You can't even trust half of these comments about got from those who had the OG shoes from 25+ years ago. You mean to tell me you can remember what the material felt like and exactly how the shoe fit?

Last edited:
I don't see how making the elephant print rise up on the retros makes them cheaper than the OGs. And the thin elephant print is a comment about aesthetics not about perceived fit. In fact, most if the comments against OGs are about aesthetics. I'm glad people aren't praising the OGs anymore, it's redundant. You can't even trust half of these comments about got from those who had the OG shoes from 25+ years ago. You mean to tell me you can remember what the material felt like and exactly how the shoe fit?
Material wise, besides the pleather epidemic during Gentry's reign, the materials are of comparable quality. The remaster put in work too, we aren't getting Sport Blue 6 leather again.

I've only owned two, but I've been able to come across a number of 89' 4's and OG 5's/6's where I see old durabuck and peanut butter cracker leather take it's toll on the shoe.

The issue comes when Nike takes it too far alterering the shoe. The 2001 3's had a great balannce of EP and toebox slant, while later revisions took it to the roof. The 5's shape also is a good example, where I much prefer the 2000's and 2006 over a 2011+.

I welcome changes like the 2016 WC4, just make sure they look good, which they did.

Last edited:
I think the thin ep on the og 3s was difficult to manufacture and that's why so many look kinda deformed. Very little room for error (back in 88, they have no excuse in 2016).

As far as the 2016 vs 99/88 4s it's kinda hard to argue materials either way. The 2016 has real leather and the older models have soft synthetic leather. The synthetic leather doesn't crease as much. Is it better or worse?

We're going the right direction these days with n/a and slightly better materials but we aren't even close to og-2001 era and those who've never owned shoes from that era, I feel really bad for you.

I think the sad thing is that we are in 2016 and we aren't getting a product that's inarguably on par with a 1980s product.

Back to the 5s I believe these will be done correctly for today's standards.

Wow what the?!?!? Can someone confirm if that may be an official pair OMG[emoji]9757[/emoji][emoji]127998[/emoji]️[emoji]9757[/emoji][emoji]127998[/emoji][emoji]9757[/emoji][emoji]127998[/emoji]

Yeah i see it too. Nike will probably fix it closer to the release date. Seems like they fix things piece by piece.

That doesn't work on the 5', definately an all jumpman lacelock.

FAKE 3M ALERT NEEDS 2000 3M
Still a early pair

But That seems like the "N" From Nike on one side

And the Legs from the Jumpman on the otherside

Edit:

I'm velma without my glasses so it's probably something else

Last edited:
they aren't official but I bet they'll still come with red insoles
I'd be down for red insoles and red Jumpman on the bottom.

I'm talking about the icy part of the locks, they dont have Nike from what I see. Could care less about those, I'll just take my unmarked red locks from a 2K pair.

Last edited:
Ok let's review

The 2012 4s were unmitigated trash, and I didn't like the 2011 3s either. The 5s were a joke as well.

BUT the FR 3s I thought were really well done in 2013 and the WC4s in 2016 are extremely nice as well.

So far I'm onboard with all the remasters.

Back
Top Bottom