Nike Air Trainer 3 retro's over the years

Some minor differences Im noticing before I get my pair.

2014 tongue says "NIKE AIR TRAINER III".... I guess that's sorta right lol.

OGs read NIKE AIR TRAINER SC, with AIR TRAINER SC in gold threading. The 2000s were perfect in that regard... Then the 2009s just read NIKE AIR TRAINER in all Navy. So we pretty much have three variations with each of the three releases (1988 and 2000, 2009, and 2014).

How we went from NIKE AIR TRAINER SC I ( or just SC) in 1988 to the AIR TRAINER III in 2000 is a mystifying error in true JUDGEMENT that will forever give us a gauge that Nike just really doesn't care about the smallest of accuracy/inaccuracies. The funny or weird thing is that the tongue tag was right in 2000 despite the box tag saying air trainer III. Now in current 2014, both the box and the tag say Air Trainer III...

Just a weird FYI for you all to ponder

Thats just Nike's business strategy. To make those small changes everytime they retro a classic and they gonna keep doin it forever. Makes ppl want to have every new version becuse it was different from the previous. Sad and sometimes sickening but its their world im afraid.
Im also expecting a pair this coming week.

I had no idea that this thread existed.  I am now happy.

I love the shoe - but I'll wait and see if these discount.  But any thread that gets me the wisdom of Wally and Green Rhino gets a "subscribe" from me.

Waiting for these to go on sale, it's a classic but they're highly slept on and always end up on sale.

Shales have hit ebay
style code: 709989-200
Due to hit NDC this Saturday 12/13/14

$_12.JPG

They look like a pleather version of a true wheat nubuck.WP version that we see out of almost every other Nike.. Truly disappointed.

I gott say, those 2009s were pretty rare. I think they hit like 4-6 retailers online and then were ghost status.. I dont see the med balls dropping too far down. but that's your loss.. Then again, many places online are overpricing them it seems. But they magically get sold at $160, so who knows... I would gauge the market until that NDC release the day after christmas and then just either miss out, or enjoy them

Last edited:
wore my medicine balls all day Sunday before I took off florida and the comfort is there and they felt great. I think NDC has a release of 12/26 for them if you guys strike out anywhere else. 

What a pleasant surprise. These look to be an improvement over the 2009 version. Toe box looks rounder and the overall shape looks better. Leather looks really nice!

Yeah, 2009's were crap, with the banana shape, and pleather. I sold them right after I received them. They weren't worth the keep.,

Im so excited they used decent leather and fixed the toe box on the 2014s. I was getting worried they would used the current trainer sc leather for them. I cant wait to get them.

Saw these in person today they look really good. Leather felt soft throughout the whole upper, shape looked good. I'll def try them on before buying but if they're a better fit and more comfortable than the 09s I'm coppin

Got my pair in from ebay today.

TL;DR: DEFINITE UPGRADE from 2009 edition. Dare I say these approach SC II QS og colorway quality.

Here's how I'll break it down in trainer shoe terms...

-Elite leather quality is probably that air trainer sc high OG QS auburn from a couple years back. The white leather is plush and soft
-Next up would be the air trainer sc ii QS editions. A ever so slight downtick would be these air trainer 3 medicine balls. I will say, the white leather toebox on each is very very similar. I give the nod to the qs II because of the grey leather around the toebox and on the upper. The "ginger" brown seems a touch stiff.
-Lower level is definitely the 2012 air trainer 1s and 2009 med. ball trainers.

These actually feel like a real type of leather. Now they don't quite come close to the 2000 era, nothing but those air trainer sc high OG QS does. But this improvement is nice.. Price point increase SHOULD have yielded a higher quality product, and here they finally did that, instead of pocketing that extra money.

On a 1-10 scale of quality.. 10 is OGs/2000 retros.. 8 is sc high og QS auburn retro.. 7.5 is about where I'd put the qs sc IIs and these atIII med. balls.. 4.5 to 5.5 is at1 '12 chlorophyll, 09 sc high auburn retro, and the 09' atIII med ball retro. Your stiff basic crap

Fit, I still found them a touch narrow but actually more TTS in the toebox, which sucks because I need more width not length.

Sockliner is more of a neoprene type of material. None of that plush teddy bear type cotton from the 09 retro , 00 retro, or original.. Comfort still seems manageable

Inner tongue is a sort of soft leather material (where the style code is).

My hunch was right about the already precreased type of white leather on the upper. It reminds me of the sc ii qs white leather that is behind the "webtec" on the lower part of the shoe near the midsole. i'd call it 90% likeness between the two.

I may even be underrating these ( I think I may want seconds).. Someone with the 09 retro in hand should be able to really show the quality differences.. Mine is just off of memory

Last edited:
Wally, you are literally the man when it comes to thorough, highly descriptive reviews. How similar is the fit the '12 chlorophylls? The pinkytoe area along the strap was an issue for many people, usually with their normal nike size, but how about on these? Normally wear an 11, but debating going for an 11.5 just for safety..

Got my pair in today as well.

Joints are sweet!

There's a very slight pinky rub that'll probably go away after a few wears. I didn't have the '09's for comparison but they feel soooo much better than the chlorophylls from a couple years ago.

Dare I say these approach SC II QS og colorway quality.

I'd say it's a little better than the Flight Huaraches from earlier in the year. 

SC II QS OG and Flight Huaraches leather > These to me... I was not impressed... like at all...

Really? Maybe my expectations are so low.. The 09s were complete JUNK though. These are at that acceptable level imho. Even if its pleather, I feel its somewhat soft and pliable from the get go (white leather portion). I even look at the sc ii QS OGs now and wonder why we got so crazy and up in arms. They're frickin solid but not exactly a true class above anything else recently released.

Then again, maybe my head is out of the loop these days. I felt the air trainer 1 infrared qs had some quality materials. I would take felt like faux suede and mesh any day over pleather. But others felt that that shoe felt and looked really cheap. So take my opinion with a grain of salt.

I popped these on for dinner. 4 hours later, a bit of some pinky toe rubbing and overall toebox tightness. I may need to loosen them even more, or just relace them. Not exactly CRAZY comfortable. Just kinda there I guess. Typical for the at III styling imho.

I compared these to my same sized '12 at1 chlorophylls and feel they are about the same. I would aim high and size 1/2 to a full size up and just deal with the increased length. I personally need the width so I size up. If youre feet are narrow, go with your normal size. For the most part, stick with your typical at1/at3 sizing imho.

Pretty much, if youve had pinky toe issues before, that may persist. If you hated the comfort, nothing has really changed all that much. A softer upper helps and a break in time is essential. Just a warning for you all.. Sort of the same ol same ol.

Last edited:
Didn't want to wait any longer so I pulled the trigger on eBay for the Medicine Balls in a 12.

Wanted this shoe for years. Since Jersey-Joe had a FSR of the first retro that was numbered.

These and the Chlorophyll 1's are my 2 favorite trainers.

Last edited:
^^^ Wow, you're bringing back memories. Jersey Joe is the seller i bought my 09s from, still have them.

My size 14s came in, very happy with them. Now i just have to find another pair, probably on the NDC release.

Damn, I've spent enough on shoes this season and now they have the gum pack. I may have to fork over more for the black pair.

On another note, I was expecting to have the Med Balls today but USPS has no additional scans since they shipped Monday.

Last edited:
How do these compare to the recent Trainer Huarache Premium QS Berry?

Back
Top Bottom