Nike Zoom Vaporfly Elite 2017

Some pics of Vast Grey with joggers:

IMG_0246.JPG

IMG_0248.JPG

IMG_0250.JPG

and more straight leg sweats:

IMG_0254.JPG

IMG_0256.JPG

Probably would only wear them athletically. And compared bulkiness with my Balenciagas (they actually seem a bit bulkier even though they aren't really, both are size 9, I wear size 8 Brannock TTS (all of my Allen Edmonds dress shoes are 8E or 8EEE):

IMG_0252.JPG

IMG_0253.JPG

I will be wearing this as a spring summer vacation shoe, gym shoe. These can't be worn with anything except athleisure IMO.

D14C81BE-3B37-463D-AE19-2640D12DEE36.png
Nice Ducks CW for the SP on footlocker release calendar. Haven’t seen it posted on here before.
These are fun. Mini swoosh is interesting. Not sure if it leaves things too empty. But I do like the color shift on the “track”

Footsites start selling SP? :rolleyes I like how SP is still "rare", not widely available to public. Hopefully footsites version has that mini swoosh to differentiate.

I get to finally test out the VFs at the Redding Marathon tomorrow. I did this race last year in a pair of Clifton 3s. Although I feel at about the same fitness level as last year, I am changing my strategy up in a couple other ways besides just the shoes, including taking in more gels more often and NOT carrying liquids with me this time, so it won't really be an apples-to-apples comparison. But I think my change from starting too fast and instead eskeeping pace very conservative at the beginning even with a steep downhill start will take advantage of the VF's energy return, especially in the last few miles, where I cramped up last year. Last year I came in over 3:37 when I was hoping for under 3:30. This year my goal is still under 3:30, but if I can successfully do a negative split, it should be closer to 3:25.

I get to finally test out the VFs at the Redding Marathon tomorrow. I did this race last year in a pair of Clifton 3s. Although I feel at about the same fitness level as last year, I am changing my strategy up in a couple other ways besides just the shoes, including taking in more gels more often and NOT carrying liquids with me this time, so it won't really be an apples-to-apples comparison. But I think my change from starting too fast and instead eskeeping pace very conservative at the beginning even with a steep downhill start will take advantage of the VF's energy return, especially in the last few miles, where I cramped up last year. Last year I came in over 3:37 when I was hoping for under 3:30. This year my goal is still under 3:30, but if I can successfully do a negative split, it should be closer to 3:25.

So what was the result?

So what was the result?
Success with a negative split, but not by much! I ended up with a 3:29:08 (just under 7:59 avg pace), which is a PR for me. I came through the halfway point at 1:45:53, which was a bit slower than I had wanted (8:05 pace), so my second half was 1:43:15, 7:53 pace. No cramping, but I still had a few walking bits because of the late rolling hills. I was reminded that this is actually a pretty difficult course.
I loved how lightweight the shoes felt through the entire race. A lot of the first half of the race really felt effortless. But because of the amount of steep downhills there were, I think I probably could size down from my normal 11 to a 10.5. My feet slid around quite a bit which made for some heat on those downhills. I also had a couple problems on quick switchbacks, which might still happen with a smaller size because of just how highly stacked they are. These shoes are best in a straight line and not too steep. I think the responsiveness really helped keep me in it through the end as my legs were really wearing out and I was still able to kick for the last 1/8 mile at the end. I would really like to see how they would do in a race like CIM in Sacramento which only has a few turns and gradual downhills.
Bottom line - same fitness level, but with smarter racing, I took an overall PR in these shoes and came in over 8 minutes quicker than I did last year, while finishing a lot stronger and no cramping. I was very happy with them.

Oh, and it's a very small marathon - about 200 people, and I saw no one else wearing VFs, and one guy wearing Shanghai ZFs. And he was very fast - maybe finishing around 3 hours.

Back
Top Bottom