Niketalk what is the difference between Polo and U.S. Polo Association

um sheeps gonna sheep.... i have and owned/own some polo.... but it is what it is. And rl isnt a top tier, higher quality brand in most parts. Purple Label sure some pieces, the suits in most part sure.... The basic clothing especially what i see in the polo thread...um no. Its made from the SAME shop, SAME material that chaps etc.. is made. And what kills me ppl actually think the clothing etc. at ross/tj max/marshalls is of cheaper quality. Newsflash it is the EXACT same as the ones at the department store. tjmaxx etc... get the clothes that are in bulk, didnt sell, or out of season from the major department stores.

So basically you cats are saying a 350 buck polo sweater at nordstrom, that didnt sell very well..somehow lost quality and turns into cheaply made once macys/nordstrom/ ralph lauren store liquidate sell it to ross? Man i heard of sheeps and stupid...but this really takes the cake. Something transforms and changes quality and how it was built once it leaves one place and goes to another.
You've owned/own some polo. Exactly, you have no business speaking on this. Your trying to turn this into a discussion on discount retail outlets when the disciussion is about the quality of Ralph Lauren clothing, of which you have never owned or hand your hands on regarding the higher quality items. My point is, unless you've had your hands on a $1,500 cashmere sweater or a $3,500 lambskin peice of outwear then you have no business speaking on this.
Nobody is talking about $1,500 cashmere sweaters or $3,500 lambskin peices but you. We are talking about polo shirts here. All these kats got on the same shirt, slightly different logo.

Not tryna hate because I do kinda get what ur saying but, honestly, you have no idea what you are talking about.
um considering i OWN a store i would beg to differ. Considering you think a piece of clothing losses quality/changed how it is manufactored once it leaves one store and goes to another.... shows not only that you dont know of what you speak...but that you are at best a moron.

Whats next um a car quality changes depending on what dealership it is sold at even though it is the same make model and year? Lol at dudes saying my clothes are better then yours....not because of a different brand etc... but because of where i bought said clothing....even though it is made/manufactored from the same place, and from the same materials.

I could even possible see a point if it was on some nike varients...in which they steal materials etc...and make an inferior knock off....ala street vendor lv bags etc... But this is not the case. oh btw....

Ralph Lauren Chaps was created by Ralph Lauren, while carrying the same high quality materials and manufactoring as the popular Ralph Lauren label, it was created as the affordable alternative to his Polo line...notice the recurring theme of Horses with Lauren brands (Pony, Chaps, etc.)

Sometime later, in the 90's, the decision was made to convert Ralph Lauren Chaps into a name-licensing opportunity for other companies, and from then on Chaps was only a Lauren brand in distant name only. While this proved to be a highly profitably move for the Ralph Lauren company, the Chaps brand suffered from inconsistent quality & poor direction.

To protect the integrity of his other brands, Ralph Lauren removed his name from the brand and entered into an exclusive licensing partnership with PVH corp (which also manages Tommy Hilfiger, Izod, Calvin Klien.) Today with an improved and consistent quality more inline with the modern Izod, or Nautica brand...Chaps is now marketed as an Americana lifestyle brand.

But i guess the company who makes and creates the clothes knows less about their own clothing brand then you do.... Um yea sure you know more about Polo/Ralph Lauren then Ralph Lauren himself.

um considering i OWN a store i would beg to differ. Considering you think a piece of clothing losses quality/changed how it is manufactored once it leaves one store and goes to another.... shows not only that you dont know of what you speak...but that you are at best a moron.

Whats next um a car quality changes depending on what dealership it is sold at even though it is the same make model and year? Lol at dudes saying my clothes are better then yours....not because of a different brand etc... but because of where i bought said clothing....even though it is made/manufactored from the same place, and from the same materials.

I could even possible see a point if it was on some nike varients...in which they steal materials etc...and make an inferior knock off....ala street vendor lv bags etc... But this is not the case. oh btw....

Ralph Lauren Chaps was created by Ralph Lauren, while carrying the same high quality materials and manufactoring as the popular Ralph Lauren label, it was created as the affordable alternative to his Polo line...notice the recurring theme of Horses with Lauren brands (Pony, Chaps, etc.)

Sometime later, in the 90's, the decision was made to convert Ralph Lauren Chaps into a name-licensing opportunity for other companies, and from then on Chaps was only a Lauren brand in distant name only. While this proved to be a highly profitably move for the Ralph Lauren company, the Chaps brand suffered from inconsistent quality & poor direction.

To protect the integrity of his other brands, Ralph Lauren removed his name from the brand and entered into an exclusive licensing partnership with PVH corp (which also manages Tommy Hilfiger, Izod, Calvin Klien.) Today with an improved and consistent quality more inline with the modern Izod, or Nautica brand...Chaps is now marketed as an Americana lifestyle brand.

But i guess the company who makes and creates the clothes knows less about their own clothing brand then you do.... Um yea sure you know more about Polo/Ralph Lauren then Ralph Lauren himself.

The name calling was unnecessary.

You do know what b-grades are right? You do realize that a lot of the stuff in Ross or Marshalls are quality control items, irregular stuff with minor flaws, in essence lower quality. Sure there is overstock and past season stuff too, mostly the lower end RL you spoke of previously. Point being, its not out of line to say the stuff in Ross or Marshalls is lower quality. RL puts out some very quality pieces that never see a dept. Store let alone discount stores. Just within blue label there is a wide range of quality and that's not even considering RRL or purple label ect. All these other brands you mention can essily match up with lower tier RL in terms of quality but there are items miles ahead of lacoste or nautica let alone uspa.

Secondly, do you even know what a licensing agreement is? It basically means they sold the company. RL nor any of his employees have anything at all to do with Chaps any longer. They don't do design, they don't source materials and they don't choose manufacturers. RL gets paid a fee for letting this other company use the Chaps branding he created. Chaps is clearly lower quality in terms of materials and production and is in no way related to the quality or manufacturing of RL clothing. I never said I knew more than Ralph, I just know more than you.

All that said, perhaps some of these off brands have same or similar quality to SOME RL items. There are quality items produced by RL that blow anything else you are talking about out of the water and you will probablly never even see these items if you only shop at your local macys or dillards.

The name calling was unnecessary.

You do know what b-grades are right? You do realize that a lot of the stuff in Ross or Marshalls are quality control items, irregular stuff with minor flaws, in essence lower quality. Sure there is overstock and past season stuff too, mostly the lower end RL you spoke of previously. Point being, its not out of line to say the stuff in Ross or Marshalls is lower quality. RL puts out some very quality pieces that never see a dept. Store let alone discount stores. Just within blue label there is a wide range of quality and that's not even considering RRL or purple label ect. All these other brands you mention can essily match up with lower tier RL in terms of quality but there are items miles ahead of lacoste or nautica let alone uspa.

Secondly, do you even know what a licensing agreement is? It basically means they sold the company. RL nor any of his employees have anything at all to do with Chaps any longer. They don't do design, they don't source materials and they don't choose manufacturers. RL gets paid a fee for letting this other company use the Chaps branding he created. Chaps is clearly lower quality in terms of materials and production and is in no way related to the quality or manufacturing of RL clothing. I never said I knew more than Ralph, I just know more than you.

All that said, perhaps some of these off brands have same or similar quality to SOME RL items. There are quality items produced by RL that blow anything else you are talking about out of the water and you will probablly never even see these items if you only shop at your local macys or dillards.
all correct some...not all, which was the point. Yes the second tier stores get b grades...but its not the bulk of there inventory..( i actually asked many of them, becuase i am doing a 501 c3 community discount store, and asked many of the top labels could they donate stuff...also called many of the ross type stores...in which most of the name brands said we cannot donate clothes accesories prior seasons because we are in contract to liquidate them to the tjmaxx etc.... type of stores.) And i did mention purple label etc... but what was posted etc.. was your run of the mill basic polo by ralph lauren line.

As far as chaps goes....yes it was sold etc... but before then it was owned and manufactored by ralph lauren...and was the exact same quality. Yet you had ppl saying it was a cheaply made alternative to ralph lauren/polo which wasnt true.

And sure there are so called b grades... but a large majority of b grades arent lower in materials/quality of materials...rather it is craftmanship and graphical errors ie... the stitching was suppose to be blue instead a few came out green. Or the polo logo wasnt placed in the right spot on the shirt. A pair of jeans that was suppose to be button fly..instead ended up zipper fly...things of that nature. Just because the polo man is the wrong color...The logo is 1 inch too high, the shirt cuffs are too small or other nuances...doesnt make the material in which it was made any less. So to say two shirts etc... made from the same factory except one has a embled misplaced.. or bad stitching makes the material cheaper is an inaccurate statement. You made it seem as if polo iuno makes a leather jacket...and the b grade version is made out of pleather....hell we aint talking about nike retros in here.

Again like i stated i still find it funny cause we are on a site called NIKETALK...and the company nike uses cheaper materials, has poor craftmanship, and misplace lace loops, position symbols and jumpmans and charge almost twice as much...yet cats are lining up, mobbing shooting a killing one another for the blantantly cheaper knockoffs ala retros.

I just dont see how someone can say oh well i refuse to buy a polo shirt 30% cheaper because it has a misplaced button, the polo man is slightly off, the lettering etc...is off/wrong color slightly. Yet buy some shoes at twice the cost...yet are made of cheaper materials..made cheaper ala glue marks showing...stitching being exposed....jumpmans instead of nike air.... synthetic leather instead of real leather and or suede ala air trainer sc,misplaced or missing lace loops ala the jordan 9's.... And somehow this isnt foolish...

Last edited:
lol at people saying RL is associated with a higher standard of clothes. RL was meant to be for the sophisticated white man but its mostly wore by rachets. RL quality is better than USPA but its not $70 dollars better, people just spend the extra money for the name. Honestly i couldn't care less about what another man wears so if he wants to wear USPA i wouldn't care, most women don't even know the difference so they would probably think USPA is RL . But i don't like when dudes buy USPA and try to play it off like they got some RL, thats when you can make fun of them.

I don't get it any of you guys play polo ???
If it looks good it looks good women don't care
As long as you paying for them lol

Both brands are equally tacky. Ruining perfectly good sweaters and sport shirts with the logo :x Tons of people wearing the ugliest @#$% just because of the damn horse

Last edited:
one will make you look like a baller in da nba da other one an up incoming in da d league

Both brands are equally tacky. Ruining perfectly good sweaters and sport shirts with the logo :x Tons of people wearing the ugliest @#$% just because of the damn horse

since when was RL tacky?

yeah...tacky stuff

Last edited:
I'd rather rock a no name brand shirt than uspa

no logo >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 

Last edited:
^^^ lots of clothing had logos. You really can't compare the two. It's like trying to compare Nike with Payless. If you had any idea how extensive and deep the history of RL is you wouldn't even put the two in the same sentence. If all you ever know of it is the little horse polo shirts you see in Marshall's along with USPA then I guess it ends there.

I'd rather rock a no name brand shirt than uspa

no logo >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 
if you dont stand for something you'll fall for anything.

935400_480822891989282_516919877_n.jpg

this place in time square gets so many awkward stares....everytime someone ventures in there i be thinking like "ha..they got another sucker"

You've owned/own some polo. Exactly, you have no business speaking on this. Your trying to turn this into a discussion on discount retail outlets when the disciussion is about the quality of Ralph Lauren clothing, of which you have never owned or hand your hands on regarding the higher quality items. My point is, unless you've had your hands on a $1,500 cashmere sweater or a $3,500 lambskin peice of outwear then you have no business speaking on this.

:smh: :nthat:

People thinking RL quality subpar when they buy the garbage stuff made for the outlets or plain polos at Marshalls/TJMaxx

So to say two shirts etc... made from the same factory except one has a embled misplaced.. or bad stitching makes the material cheaper is an inaccurate statement. You made it seem as if polo iuno makes a leather jacket...and the b grade version is made out of pleather....hell we aint talking about nike retros in here.

As far as I know you're the only one who made such a statement. Material is but one aspect of quality, if you wanna wear irregular clothing with loose stitching and misplaced emblems thats your prerogative but to think your clothing is still of the same quality is inaccurate.

What I made it seem like is that there is lower quality clothing in discount stores, not because the material is different but because of all the other flaws you mentioned, since you thought I was a moron for thinking that.

The point is, items that are bottom tier blue label RL to begin with which come from discount stores and may or may not have additional quality issues are not an accurate depiction of RL quality nor should such items be used to measure against other brands.

As far as I know you're the only one who made such a statement. Material is but one aspect of quality, if you wanna wear irregular clothing with loose stitching and misplaced emblems thats your prerogative but to think your clothing is still of the same quality is inaccurate.

What I made it seem like is that there is lower quality clothing in discount stores, not because the material is different but because of all the other flaws you mentioned, since you thought I was a moron for thinking that.

The point is, items that are bottom tier blue label RL to begin with which come from discount stores and may or may not have additional quality issues are not an accurate depiction of RL quality nor should such items be used to measure against other brands.
um like i said the irony...seeing this is called niketalk and they are making a killing doing the same thing with shoes not meant to be b grade....and they are charging twice as much....

So what makes one acceptable and the other not?

and btw that again would be craftmanship not the material itself. If you have two 100% leather jackets....but one has bad stitching etc... irregular doesnt take away from the quality of leather they are made from, just the craftmanship in which the 100% leather coat was made.

Last edited:
Beverly Hills Polo Club...
laugh.gif

It's either go big or go home...you might as well not even rock a logo.

At the end of the day that's more respectable. 

um like i said the irony...seeing this is called niketalk and they are making a killing doing the same thing with shoes not meant to be b grade....and they are charging twice as much....

So what makes one acceptable and the other not?

and btw that again would be craftmanship not the material itself. If you have two 100% leather jackets....but one has bad stitching etc... irregular doesnt take away from the quality of leather they are made from, just the craftmanship in which the 100% leather coat was made.

Generally, if a run of hyped shoes are flawed, they are all flawed. The availability of certain shoes prevents people from picking and choosing. If they want the shoes at all they have to deal with the flaws. If they have the option it's definitely not unheard of when people look at multiple pairs in the store to find the one with the least bleeding or glue stains. With RL, you don't have to settle for b-grade or lower quality. There are plenty of high quality, non-defective RL items in dept. stores for up to 75% off if you are patient for sales.

And I am well aware of the difference between craftsmanship and material. When one generally speaks of quality, it includes both quality of materials and quality of craftsmanship, among other things. You throw one of those USPA polos in the washer and dryer one time and that pony's gonna look like it curled up and went to sleep. RL Big Ponys don't do that. Craftsmanship, quality. Get it?

Back
Top Bottom