NT, convince me "cutting the cord" is a good idea

Don't know where to post this but it's driving me crazy trying to get the right equipment for this set up. Maybe y'all can help a brotha out.

I want to run three 46" monitors in portrait/vertical orientation to form one large video wall. It will be used daily for watching tv from a directv genie. So the output signal will be HDMI. I am trying to avoid buying the video processor from the same manufacture as the monitors due to the price (entry level is around 8 grand)

These are the 3 monitors I already own, here

if you're feeling lazy here are the specs

Screen size (diagonal)
46”
Native resolution
1920 x 1080 (16:9)
Technology
Commercial-grade LCD
Backlight
Direct LED
Pixel pitch
0.53 x 0.53 mm
Display orientation
Landscape or portrait
Nominal bezel size
1.4mm (bottom/right)
2.3mm (top/left)
Brightness
500 nits (cd/m2) maximum
Contrast ratio
(full field) 3500:1
Viewing angle (CR 10:1)
178° h/v
Refresh rate
50/60 Hz
Response time
8 ms
LED lifespan (50% brightness)
50,000 hrs
Color space
(CIE 1931) 72%
Display colors
16.7 million
Signal inputs
Display Port 1.2
HDMI (HDCP) x 2
DVI (HDCP)
VGA
Audio L/R
Audio 3.5mm
Infrared extender 3.5mm
Signal outputs

DisplayPort 1.2
DVI (HDCP)
VGA
Audio 3.5mm
Control inputs
RS-232, RS-485, Ethernet
Control outputs
RS-485

Designed for 24/7 operation2, featuring a reliable power supply and cooling system
Features
Commercial grade LCD; anti-glare coating; full HD resolution; landscape or portrait orientations; front-accessible mount; advanced cooling design; high energy efficiency with

Don't know where to post this but it's driving me crazy trying to get the right equipment for this set up. Maybe y'all can help a brotha out.

I want to run three 46" monitors in portrait/vertical orientation to form one large video wall. It will be used daily for watching tv from a directv genie. So the output signal will be HDMI. I am trying to avoid buying the video processor from the same manufacture as the monitors due to the price (entry level is around 8 grand)

if you're feeling lazy here are the specs

Screen size (diagonal)
46”
Native resolution
1920 x 1080 (16:9)
Technology
Commercial-grade LCD
Backlight
Direct LED
Pixel pitch
0.53 x 0.53 mm
Display orientation
Landscape or portrait
Nominal bezel size
1.4mm (bottom/right)
2.3mm (top/left)
Brightness
500 nits (cd/m2) maximum
Contrast ratio
(full field) 3500:1
Viewing angle (CR 10:1)
178° h/v
Refresh rate
50/60 Hz
Response time
8 ms
LED lifespan (50% brightness)
50,000 hrs
Color space
(CIE 1931) 72%
Display colors
16.7 million
Signal inputs
Display Port 1.2
HDMI (HDCP) x 2
DVI (HDCP)
VGA
Audio L/R
Audio 3.5mm
Infrared extender 3.5mm
Signal outputs

DisplayPort 1.2
DVI (HDCP)
VGA
Audio 3.5mm
Control inputs
RS-232, RS-485, Ethernet
Control outputs
RS-485

Designed for 24/7 operation2, featuring a reliable power supply and cooling system
Features
Commercial grade LCD; anti-glare coating; full HD resolution; landscape or portrait orientations; front-accessible mount; advanced cooling design; high energy efficiency with <=0.5W standby; Plug and Play (DDC2B); bezel compensation option; Image Retention Frame Motion (IRFM) mode; Adjustable backlight frequency; Auto Scan source selection; aspect-ratio control; zoom; Picture-in-Picture (PiP); advanced image settings; configurable power on delay; sleep timer; single UHD input (3840x2160) can be displayed on 2x2 array using DisplayPort 1.2 MST loop through; Single input up to 2560 x 1600 can be cropped and scaled to fit up to 10x10 array; control up to 25 panels through single RS-232 Ehernet, or infrared (IR) remote control; auto setup for single-input video wall

What would I need to make my nephew think his uncle is the home theater god in the hood.....

Thanks in advance family
bruh, this is cutting the cord thread....not AV Home Theater thread.  Maybe post there?

Hi everyone,

Since all the streaming companies gave everyone a 1-week or 2-week trial, I signed up for Sling, PS Vue and DirecTV Now over the past few months. I am going to review them for you and tell you how I felt.

Sling

Sling is the most cheapest and it's pretty versatile with all the kinds of devices that you can use to stream. I mainly used Sling on Chromecast and Xbox One. Of course, having a dedicated LAN cable works wonders for the speed. There's at least a 30 second delay and sometimes even more.

Sling, to me, is the most diverse because there are international channels that you can add-on. But those add-ons add up and you'll be basically paying cable prices once you hop out of the $20/month plan.

PS Vue

I really liked PS Vue. It had the necessary local sports channels that I really needed in Boston which is CSNNE and NESN. They also had OTA CBS which was nice. There is a delay for this as well but not as bad as Sling. Don't even think about using PS Vue without having an ethernet cable plugged directly into your router. I have a Fire stick as well and it was so slow just to get to the "Guide" screen. This is the most expensive but PS Vue worked for me because of just NESN alone so I can watch hockey. No NHL network for PS Vue but there is NFL Network and NBA Network.

DirecTV Now

I am currently trying the one-week trial right now for this and the "Go Big" channel lineup just isn't cutting it for me. I realized the only thing I would be watching is the NHL Network for the World Juniors and everything else is just filler. I haven't received any technical errors but it loads a little bit slower and there are occasional buffering. The OG price of "Go Big" is ridiculous. The $35/month promo is ok but I still think it's the pricier side.

Overall:

Overall, I think PS Vue hits on all facets but just like everything in life, "you get what you pay for" and this holds true for all 3. Personally, I am not going to extend my membership for these 3. Delay was a pretty big factor but there are just other sources I can find that have the same quality. Sure, these sources are sometimes shady but I just can't see myself anymore paying for just a few cable channels.

Hope this helps everyone

What would I need to make my nephew think his uncle is the home theater god in the hood.....

Thanks in advance family

you need a video splicer

Amazon has one for $1,000

So, on the firestorm I can get live sports (in HD) right?
if that is truly your question, yes of course you can get live sports in HD.  NBA APP, NFL APP, NHL APP.....with the proper subscription, you can get anything you want in HD.

So for having DirectTV Now for about a month, I am getting pretty annoyed with how off the a/v sync is. After my 3 months, I'm most likely going to cancel.

I wanted to like it and in the beginning it wasn't this bad but for the past 2 weeks, its been pretty bad

So for having DirectTV Now for about a month, I am getting pretty annoyed with how off the a/v sync is. After my 3 months, I'm most likely going to cancel.

I wanted to like it and in the beginning it wasn't this bad but for the past 2 weeks, its been pretty bad

the freezing is terrible and I hear v2 of the app doesnt drop until Jun smh. At least I got an apple tv out of the deal.

the freezing is terrible and I hear v2 of the app doesnt drop until Jun smh. At least I got an apple tv out of the deal.
Oh yeah, i forgot about the freezing. It'll happen every once in a while but not as often as the sync. Also the fact that iOS isn't supported on the Chromecast yet is annoying

Oh yeah, i forgot about the freezing. It'll happen every once in a while but not as often as the sync. Also the fact that iOS isn't supported on the Chromecast yet is annoying

what are you streaming from? I`m using apple tv and it freezes like hell during prime time, and especially on the weekends and holidays where people are staying at home.

The only reason I`m hesitant to cancel is because I got that promo pricing for the 100 channels and its a damn good price.

I don't know why but i thought you can access most Roku channels without having to have cable. I just downgraded my Comcast to 10 channels since i was paying $170 for non HD channels and now alot of my Roku channels don't work. It almost makes my Roku not even worth it aside from Netflix and Plex for my downloaded movies.

Aside from Crackle, are there any good free channels worth checking out?

Originally Posted by LuckyLuchiano  

what are you streaming from? I`m using apple tv and it freezes like hell during prime time, and especially on the weekends and holidays where people are staying at home.

The only reason I`m hesitant to cancel is because I got that promo pricing for the 100 channels and its a damn good price.
In the living room, I use the apple tv which is plugged in directly into the router. In the bedroom, I use the Chromecast with an old android tablet.

I haven't used the Chromecast in a while but I didnt notice any sync issues.

I don't know why but i thought you can access most Roku channels without having to have cable. I just downgraded my Comcast to 10 channels since i was paying $170 for non HD channels and now alot of my Roku channels don't work. It almost makes my Roku not even worth it aside from Netflix and Plex for my downloaded movies.

Aside from Crackle, are there any good free channels worth checking out?
Hi @Mr Fongstarr- have you tried setting up your Roku to view Private Channels?  Its simple and you can do so here:  

http://mkvxstream.blogspot.com/2016/08/roku-private-channels-roku-channels.html

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/private-roku-channels-install-now/

An alternative and free tv/movie app instead of Crackle would be Filmon....check it out!

For everyone else, I've updated my current Chromebox + Openelec to .... LibreElec.  Pretty awesome and now more Devs (40+) are into LibreElec instead of 1 Dev with Openelec.  Learn more about it here:  https://libreelec.tv/

Last edited:
Will probably get an amazon firestick soon and put kodi on it.

For the people with the MI Box, does it work like the firestick and should i just get that instead? I saw it can stream in 4k and has hdr but I don't even have a 4k tv yet.

Last edited:

Same. They'll likely get better, but between the lack of features on fire tv and freezing not sure I can hold out. I feel like when Hulu does their version it will be a game changer.

Last edited:
Will probably get an amazon firestick soon and put kodi on it.

For the people with the MI Box, does it work like the firestick and should i just get that instead? I saw it can stream in 4k and has hdr but I don't even have a 4k tv yet.
Comparing the two, Mi Box is better. Firestick is limited because of Amazon's bubble while Mi Box roams free with full Android TV
Same. They'll likely get better, but between the lack of features on fire tv and freezing not sure I can hold out. I feel like when Hulu does their version it will be a game changer.
Hulu gets Direct TV Now power and I'm dropping DTN quick. Right now I see few issues with DTN cause I barely go on it, we live on Netflix or Hulu or streaming movies. Barely use Kodi cause Terrarium works easier.

DTVnow with the free apple tv for $35 a month with over 100 channels with HBO was too hard too pass up!

Last edited:
DTVnow with the free apple tv for $35 a month with over 100 channels with HBO was too hard too pass up!
hmmmm....wonder if that is better than what i'm paying now for Slingtv + sports package for $25 a month.  I don't care about the quantity of channels, but the quality of them.  Does the extra $10 a month ($120 a year) justify the price/channels on DTVNow vs Slingtv?

hmmmm....wonder if that is better than what i'm paying now for Slingtv + sports package for $25 a month.  I don't care about the quantity of channels, but the quality of them.  Does the extra $10 a month ($120 a year) justify the price/channels on DTVNow vs Slingtv?
How do you like SlingTV? Does it lag/have bad quality? Thinking of getting the Blue Package when I move out.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom