Nt, put me on to jazz & blues

i was sitting in a cafe the other day and they were playing some jazz and some blues and it really felt so...
pimp.gif
just really eased my mind

anyhow if you could put me on to some artists/songs i'd really appreciate it.

I've been listening to a lot of Taj Mahal (blues) lately, he does a good job of staying roots-oriented while incorporating elements of world music into hisstyle.

If no one else replies to this I'll name some more, but I'm loath to go all Premo55 on you in the first reply.

Ahmad Jamal is pretty ill...He does the Piano
Nas sampled alot of his work
His stuff is mad smooth
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by FlyNY

Ahmad Jamal is pretty ill...He does the Piano
Nas sampled alot of his work
His stuff is mad smooth
laugh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif

laugh.gif
pimp.gif
he is pretty
pimp.gif
though... just what i need

gotta check out john lee %*@@#% too.. good looks
smile.gif

If you're going to check out John Lee (prostitute), definitely check out Muddy Waters.

Miles Davis (MAKE SURE you peep Birth of the Cool)
John Coltrane
Dizzy Gillespie
The Ahmad Jamal Trio (peep The Awakening, you might recognize a few tracks...)
Bobby Caldwell
Brother Jack McGruff
Charles Earland
The Dave Brubeck Quartet
baf152e995a923e6bfe9892fb5dae575ea6f467.gif
(Take Five is one of my favorite recordings)
Duke Ellington
George Benson
Herbie Hancock
Lonnie Liston Smith
Low Rawls
Reuben Wilson
Tom Scott

All I listen to on Pandora Radio is Diana Krall... mostly because I don't know how to change the station and my girl put it on there haha.

Robert Johnson
pimp.gif

Charlie Patton
Mississippi John Hurt
Blind Lemon Jefferson
Bessie Smith
Lonnie Johnson

Blues FTW, I took a Blues class in college and it put me on to a lot of great music. I used to have a library of over a thousand songs that I had to memorize.So for a whole semester I listened to nothing but the Blues.

Miles Davis-Kind Of Blue. Perfect album to just chill and read a book to.

As far as blues, definitely listen to alot of Robert Johnson and Muddy Waters, even early Louis Armstrong...that old old original blues stuff is what blues isreally all about, forget newer stuff.

With jazz, why on earth would you ask Niketalk to put you on to these genres? But in any case, it really depends on what kind of jazz you are trying to listento. For a more classic, soft jazz that is easy listening, I don't know anything cause that stuff sucks. You need to listen to more experimental, obscurerecordings mostly starting around the 1950s (Parker, Miles, early Coltrane). Definitely peep the whole Miles Davis catalogue, I've been listening to a lotof !%@@%%+ Brew recently myself, great arrangements with weird instruments you don't often hear in his stuff.

Jazz > gucci and dom kennedy combined

Originally Posted by IncredibleEv

As far as blues, definitely listen to alot of Robert Johnson and Muddy Waters, even early Louis Armstrong...that old old original blues stuff is what blues is really all about, forget newer stuff.

With jazz, why on earth would you ask Niketalk to put you on to these genres? But in any case, it really depends on what kind of jazz you are trying to listen to. For a more classic, soft jazz that is easy listening, I don't know anything cause that stuff sucks. You need to listen to more experimental, obscure recordings mostly starting around the 1950s (Parker, Miles, early Coltrane). Definitely peep the whole Miles Davis catalogue, I've been listening to a lot of !%@@%%+ Brew recently myself, great arrangements with weird instruments you don't often hear in his stuff.

Jazz > gucci and dom kennedy combined

because there are people like you who know
smile.gif

thanks a lot guys, i appreciate it

I can't believe B.B. King hasn't been mentioned yet.
Originally Posted by 703FlipFiend

All I listen to on Pandora Radio is Diana Krall... mostly because I don't know how to change the station and my girl put it on there haha
Diana Krall is awesome... I had the opportunity a few years ago to see her at Carnegie Hall, did not disappoint.
Originally Posted by IncredibleEv

But in any case, it really depends on what kind of jazz you are trying to listen to. For a more classic, soft jazz that is easy listening, I don't know anything cause that stuff sucks. You need to listen to more experimental, obscure recordings mostly starting around the 1950s (Parker, Miles, early Coltrane). Definitely peep the whole Miles Davis catalogue, I've been listening to a lot of !%@@%%+ Brew recently myself, great arrangements with weird instruments you don't often hear in his stuff.
So unless it's weird, obscure or experimental, it's bad jazz? Foolish.

I like jazz and blues from circa 1970 (give or take a few years) that has a bit of a funk fused in to it.

Songs like:

Hampton Hawes - Web
Bill Withers - Ain't No Sunshine
Ronnie Foster - Mystic Brew
Bobby Hutcherson - Montara

Also, Madlib's "Shades of Blue" album is a remix of the Blue Note catalog...so butter. Theres also an "untinted" version with theoriginal cuts.

I can't believe no one said Coltrane yet.
(Edit: nm, somebody did,
laugh.gif
)
Nonetheless, my favorite album of any genre is:
musiccatalog_j_john-coltrane-a-love-supreme-deluxe-edition_john-coltrane-a-love-supreme-deluxe-edition.jpg

From Coltrane I would recommend A Love Supreme, Giant Steps, My Favorite Things, Blue Train.
Miles Davis: Kind of Blue, #@!*#*+ Brew.

Back
Top Bottom