NT, What Beer Do You Drink?

^that Sn stout and obsidian stout by deschutes are toe stouts I neglect too often. You've got a 94 ba beer just sitting there. My next impulse buy will be either of those

Super low key Friday. I bought a sixer for a trade (5 for me , one outbound lol).

Tastes like I remember it on draft. Maybe that can batch was bad? I want to call this one a "traditional" Ipa. It's chalked full of pine and some earthy citrus hop hints. It has a deep tongue wrenching bitterness. Not much on the aromatics. Crisp mouthfeel. Sweetness kind of there. Lives up to the 90 ba score. It's good for a change of pace but almost feels "old" or less complex. Elevated has so many more elements to it. Still a solid choice to try neosole.

It reminds me in some ways to SN Torpedo extra IPA. Just a straight earth pine earth flavor... I get that out of Santa Fe's Happy Camper IPA as well.. Some of the new bred IPAs are using different hops to create new experiences.. I guess I can appreciate the whole realm of IPAs.

Looking forward to trying it. Torpedo is a very solid IPA so if it tastes anything like it. I'm not even mad.

Some pickups today. A few bottles of Bible Belt and a fresh bomber of Apex IPA (best by 7/13/14). Will be doing a side by side comparison with Pliny tomorrow :D.

My local spot got Bible Belt in yesterday. I'm pretty sure they sold within a few hours.

What is that? I read the BA SW forums once in awhile/ It's out of Oklahoma right? It's their BOMB imperial stout but aged in bourbon barrels, is that correct?

I'm in NM and it doesnt even make it here. What a sham!

Today's been a stout kind of day. Started with an old rasputin on draft for lunch. I'm guessing it was on nitro. The head was so dense with bubbles. Taste was almost all deep dark fruit and bitterness. Not terrible. But it didnt provide a true sweetness kick I like out of some stouts.

I went by a total wine, and got another bottle of Stone IRS '14. Ill be throwing one back later.. I also got an Obsidian Stout single (it looks to be a REALLY old bottle, which could be to its advantage), and a single bottle of Left Hand Milk Stout (best by 7/26/14). I want to revisit some of these guys. The bottle is marked best by 5/26/14. They mark their stouts 200 days foward. So it was bottled almost 6 months back.. They had sixers with 10/26. I assumed they would be nearly the same.

I sadly missed an email from my beer store who was selling Stone IRS dating back to 2009. Not sure what they wouldve been priced. Their Abyss '12 was just two bucks more than their '13, So i'm guessing the Stones were reasonably priced.

Reviews to follow shortly

Last edited:
What is that? I read the BA SW forums once in awhile/ It's out of Oklahoma right? It's their BOMB imperial stout but aged in bourbon barrels, is that correct?

Today's been a stout kind of day. Started with an old rasputin on draft for lunch. I'm guessing it was on nitro. The head was so dense with bubbles. Taste was almost all deep dark fruit and bitterness. Not terrible. But it didnt provide a true sweetness kick I like out of some stouts.

I went by a total wine, and got another bottle of Stone IRS '14. Ill be throwing one back later.. I also got an Obsidian Stout single (it looks to be a REALLY old bottle, which could be to its advantage), and a single bottle of Left Hand Milk Stout (best by 7/26/14). I want to revisit some of these guys. The bottle is marked best by 5/26/14. They mark their stouts 200 days foward. So it was bottled almost 6 months back.. They had sixers with 10/26. I assumed they would be nearly the same.

I sadly missed an email from my beer store who was selling Stone IRS dating back to 2009. Not sure what they wouldve been priced. Their Abyss '12 was just two bucks more than their '13, So i'm guessing the Stones were reasonably priced.

Reviews to follow shortly

The usual trend I see on stones RIS is a dollar extra for every year it's aged

Bible Belt! I've wanted to pick this up but haven't had time. Give us a review when you can

Most definitely!

It's a collaboration between Prairie Artisan Ales and Evil Twin Brewing. It has a base from Evil Twin's Even More Jesus imperial stout and spiced like Bomb with coffee, vanilla, chilies and cacao nibs.

Did a side by side comparison with Bear Republic's Apex Special IPA and PtE tonight. Both were pretty fresh, Apex best by was 7/13/14 and PtE bottled 4/16/14. Aroma, I had to give to Apex. Could smell the tropical fruits immediately. Amazing! Taste, I gave to Pliny. It was much more balanced that Apex. Hops were there but not overpowering. Apex had more of a hop bite at the end. After having both together, I noticed that Apex has this weird aftertaste of fruit syrup. I don't know, it was strange. Both are great brews but I'd give the nod to Pliny here.

Bittersweet stout session last night.

Three beer lineup:

Obsidian Stout
Milk Stout
Stone IRS '14

Of the three, I liked Obsidian the most. Great body, sweetness, and flavors. A touch roasty. Milk Stout's lactose kind of diminished any sort of flavor it tried to have. It's great as a stout that isnt really a full flavored stout. Its like when you want a beer with some hop flavor, so you go with a lighter APA instead of a IPA. Stone IRS.. 2013 was the first year I had any of it, so I'm relatively new. I had quite a few over the months. I had many 4-5 months and into 9 months after it was bottled. So timing could be a factor with this 2014 variety. It ran hot, and I caught many off flavors every once in awhile. I think I took about 5 hours to finish my bottle

disappointed in this one. Tasted hops but not as much as i wanted to, maybe because it wasn't a fresh bottle. but didn't taste much other than some sweetness and the hops.

You aint never lied. Drinking one as I type, not doing it for me. Usually a fan of Green Flash beers, wont be buying this one again.

Was at yard house last night and got a pint of franziskaner, I asked the waiter if they could pour it straight up, of course they didn't.... :\ :stoneface: :lol: :smh:

Still need to try PtE...I know a local spot gets it occasionally, just never drop in there though.

Bible Belt! I've wanted to pick this up but haven't had time. Give us a review when you can

Most definitely!

It's a collaboration between Prairie Artisan Ales and Evil Twin Brewing. It has a base from Evil Twin's Even More Jesus imperial stout and spiced like Bomb with coffee, vanilla, chilies and cacao nibs.

Did a side by side comparison with Bear Republic's Apex Special IPA and PtE tonight. Both were pretty fresh, Apex best by was 7/13/14 and PtE bottled 4/16/14. Aroma, I had to give to Apex. Could smell the tropical fruits immediately. Amazing! Taste, I gave to Pliny. It was much more balanced that Apex. Hops were there but not overpowering. Apex had more of a hop bite at the end. After having both together, I noticed that Apex has this weird aftertaste of fruit syrup. I don't know, it was strange. Both are great brews but I'd give the nod to Pliny here.

I appreciate the info on the prairie bible belt.. I tend to stay far away from beers/threads that I know I kind of don't have a chance with, just because I don't want to read all these happy reviews. The state of NM is much like our precipitation average, very DRY, of above par beers.

Nice side by side. I swear the majority of people who love HT and PtE seem to like these DIPAs who "lack" flavor for a better word. They are so smooth and seem so basic (they are likely brewed in complex manners to get that level of smoothness). But for the most part, the top rated DIPAs seem to be those that arent too out there in any regard. Father Nelson and P. Dank seem to get scorched by some reviewers becaouse of the hop prescence. They totally forgot how frickin smooth and dry it ends up being.

But I digress.

Tonight.. I'm having/had had a few of these Santa Fe Irish Reds
7a7787dea2ef06243b81af3566448b29_320x320.jpg

Not exactly sessionable. The malt and flavors lead to the beer feeling heavier than it is. I'm on my 6th in 3 hours. Some beers you can just pound.... I mentioned on untappd. It reminds me of just that above average stuff you get at a restaurant bar. It's the New Belgium or Shiner Brewery of New Mexico.. They at least double brewing capacity of La Cumbre and Marble, and have plans to 6x production... Someone is drinking their stuff. I guess I'm one of them on a rare occassion. Solid, but I am looking forward to La Cumbres beers after having some of this irish red.

I bought another Project Dank. I wanna try that along with some more elevated IPA before the night is too far along

I appreciate the info on the prairie bible belt.. I tend to stay far away from beers/threads that I know I kind of don't have a chance with, just because I don't want to read all these happy reviews. The state of NM is much like our precipitation average, very DRY, of above par beers.

Nice side by side. I swear the majority of people who love HT and PtE seem to like these DIPAs who "lack" flavor for a better word. They are so smooth and seem so basic (they are likely brewed in complex manners to get that level of smoothness). But for the most part, the top rated DIPAs seem to be those that arent too out there in any regard. Father Nelson and P. Dank seem to get scorched by some reviewers becaouse of the hop prescence. They totally forgot how frickin smooth and dry it ends up being.

I have yet to try HT but of all the DIPA's I've tried so far, Pliny is definitely the smoothest. The 8% ABV is so well hidden. I guess it's like sipping a fine glass of cognac, super smooth and easy to drink.

Most definitely!

But I digress.

Agreed about the "weaker" DIPAs. I thought the point of a DIPA is to be something that's extremely hop forward - something like a Ruination. Still boggles my mind how Lagunitas Sucks is considered a DIPA when it's teetering more on the pale ale/IPA side. Categorization is subjective anyway, but whatevs.

Finally had a chance to crack open a HT this past weekend.

I actually believe the hype. Like Pliny, it's a beer that I just couldn't stop sipping. Each sip gave me something different. And before I knew it, the can was empty.

Finally had a chance to crack open a HT this past weekend.

I actually believe the hype. Like Pliny, it's a beer that I just couldn't stop sipping. Each sip gave me something different. And before I knew it, the can was empty.
Nice.  Glad you enjoyed.

The batches I was getting over the winter weren't the best, but the last can I had put me back on the bandwagon.  

Can't wait to make the trip up there this summer to stock up on Heady/Hill Farmstead/Lawson's.  Hoping to find some Gandhi Bot in the process. 

How's the Sam Adams Double Agent IPL? I copped a 6 pack sampler and it was one of my selections. I'm not gonna drink it this week as I've got Finals. But how is it?

Last edited:
My local sprouts has 4 packs of Coronado idiot ipa for 5.49. It has to be a mistake. It's usually 9.99. Its a really solid west coast ipa at 8% abv

I asked about allagash white less than two weeks back. Yeah buddy.

You guys in CA have it made.. I received this yesterday

*excuse the blanket lol
I'm loving this deal. Twos or more of everything. I can try something one day and see how it matches up the very next day or week. It leads to a better all around experience in my opinion..

If the photos too blurry. There is:
4 allagash whites
3 sculpin cans
3 velvet merlin
2 Pliny the elders

Thanks again neosole89.,.. Keep your eyes open for today.

I'm loving the chance to try many basic main stays. A lot of the trades I see are for some crazy whales or a box full of bombers.. At this point, i'm appreciative of the chance to try some really great beers along with some that consider "normal". I'm okay with normal tries.

Last edited:
Nice Haul Wally.
I agree with you on the whole Whale vs normal beers.
I enjoy getting normal, everyday brews from out of state.
Alllagash White is one of my favorites (100 something pages ago).
One of my favorite Italian eateries used to have it on tap. Delicious.

-J-

My local sprouts has 4 packs of Coronado idiot ipa for 5.49. It has to be a mistake. It's usually 9.99. Its a really solid west coast ipa at 8% abv

Good deal! Had it a while back, thought it was decent. Remembered it to be more on the malty side. Maybe the bottle I had was bad?

I asked about allagash white less than two weeks back. Yeah buddy.

You guys in CA have it made.. I received this yesterday

*excuse the blanket lol
I'm loving this deal. Twos or more of everything. I can try something one day and see how it matches up the very next day or week. It leads to a better all around experience in my opinion..

If the photos too blurry. There is:
4 allagash whites
3 sculpin cans
3 velvet merlin
2 Pliny the elders

Thanks again neosole89.,.. Keep your eyes open for today.

I'm loving the chance to try many basic main stays. A lot of the trades I see are for some crazy whales or a box full of bombers.. At this point, i'm appreciative of the chance to try some really great beers along with some that consider "normal". I'm okay with normal tries.

Anytime man! Enjoy the beers! Your package will come in just in time for the Warriors game :smokin.

I went with allagash tonight instead of a Pliny. I gotta get on those ASAP. Times a ticking.

I finally put to use a Stella Chalice glass I've had for awhile. Perfect replica of the allagash chalice.. I gotta say, it's been about a year since I first tried this beer. I would have to revisit notes on it. So this was sort of a fresh intro.. Huge amounts of a fruity yeast smell. It carries somewhat into the taste. Carbonation is perfect. Flavor wise, you just gotta get used to that yeast characteristic. I dont know If I like this style better or a hefeweizen, which to be is nearly identical with a hint of banana.. No banana here. Very easy drinking... I have three more to decide if it was worth it lol. It's quite tangy and tart. It reminds me of the Weihenstephaner hefes and vitus beers. Even local wits and hefes comes sorta close.. This is one style that is hard to distinguish the great from the okay.. Experience kind of reminds me of a Hoegaarden as well.

For now, definitely in the 93 BA score range. I'd untappd it at a 4-4.5... It's above GOOD among a staple of other GOOD beers that taste similar.. None seem to blow me away too too much.. Availability for me definitely plays into the score. Local stuff can come somewhat close, so this may not be one to seek out too far for.. .A revisit is coming soon

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom